F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 19 Expedition Stealth (same brakes as f150). I tradded my 13 Eco SCREW in and I went down this road with the 13 also landing in the same outcome. So 500 miles on it and I tried a bunch of different brake pads because the stocks we terrible and the pedal was soft and dusted like hell

1: Wagner OEX: Not a fan, took way too much temp to get them to bite. Had to stand on the pedal under normal driving.
2. Z36: Loads of stopping power, little dust, solid pedal. After they broke in I was happy with the stopping power. 100% great choice if you tow or have heavy cargo a lot. My grib with these is that that take a second to bite. Meaning they need to build temp before they really grab so there is a delay from pushing the pedal to when then really "stop" I didnt like that, but when they bite, loads of stopping power.
3.. Wagner TQ. Winner in my eyes and same story as my 13. Loads of stopping power, instant (cold) bite and all the stopping power is there right away unlike the z36. Rock solid pedal. These really take the slop out of the brake system with instant bite, way better than stock and much more pedal feedback and way less travel so you dont have to go deeper as you approach the car in front of you. Maybe a bit more dust than the z36 but way less that stock. I used the 1414 pad which is the same as my 13, it has the ears still even thou my stock 19 pads did not. However, the caliper is the same so you can use them. Ford changed the pad design not the caliper simply because people were installing them wrong.
Over all very happy with the TQ's and I like them more than the z36 for normal driving. Also, my 13 was used for towing my 4500lb trailer and I never had any issues or complaints about the TQ's in that department.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I assume that you installed these pads on the stock rotors. If so, the Z36s are designed to work with their own special rotors (cross-drilled and slotted) and require a special break in to impregnate them into the rotor metal.

Just tossing the Z36 pads on the stock rotor could affect their performance, as the Z36s aren't intended to be a "direct OEM bolt-on" replacement for just the stock pads.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I called PS to ask about this. My expo had only 80 miles on it when I put the z36 pads on so my rotors were pretty newish. PS said just bed them in and let them seat. They will work just fine on stock rotors. I put about 200 miles on them after bedding. I dont believe the performance would be any bit noticeably better on new rotors. PS said the rotor design they sell is for heat and thats it. Will work fine on any rotor. Also was told the z23 and z36 are the same compound. Only difference is the shim design for higher heat levels on the 36. Maybe it may be better on the PS rotor but its a new Expedition. Im not putting drilled rotors on it. So I have them a try and for my situation I think they are a great towing pad but not an everyday pad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts