F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Modinstrator
2,714 Posts
Think the fins were always plastic rings. Others have mentioned that these have disappeared in recent models too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Think the fins were always plastic rings. Others have mentioned that these have disappeared in recent models too.
Cool. This is my first F150 and I kept hearing around intake fins. I was surprised to see none. Intake definitely louder going from stock to AFE !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,645 Posts
Cool. This is my first F150 and I kept hearing around intake fins. I was surprised to see none. Intake definitely louder going from stock to AFE !!

Welcome to the forum !

Reactions: TexasF1Fiddy

·
Banned
316 Posts

Hey just wanted to share that I installed an intake on my F150 and noticed it didn’t have the metal fins in the intake tubes.
Welcome! By louder do you hear more turbo whine?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome! By louder do you hear more turbo whine?
Hi

I would say there is a little more turbo noise but by and far the induction noise from the open intake box is way louder. I’m on the hunt for more turbo noise as well.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Correct. Ford removed them following the changes to the turbos and inlet tubes late 2018. Overall reducing NVH.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Simple terms turbulence pre-turbo. With the redesign turbulence/NVH was no longer an issue.

The increased intake noise from the removal of the fins on pre18 trucks is turbulence. That is NVH. The main cause of the turbulence was the two different vertices produced from each turbo clashing at the merge pipe. The fins were designed to mitigate that issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Simple terms turbulence pre-turbo. With the redesign turbulence/NVH was no longer an issue.

The increased intake noise from the removal of the fins on pre18 trucks is turbulence. That is NVH.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Yes if you want to turbo noise cold air was the right thing to get, just wished they actually made a power the manufactures claim...:)although Factory intakes have improve drastically over the years..

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Yep, they stopped using those plastic fins in late 18 builds.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
My 19 build had them! Removed them of course. I posted on the forum. Seems some had them and some did not

·
Registered
62 Posts
Is there any benefit removing (2018 2.7) them or any negative results? Just courious , if no lost in power, louder turbo noise would be cool.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Is there any benefit removing (2018 2.7) them or any negative results? Just courious , if no lost in power, louder turbo noise would be cool.
On paper they make your turbos ever so slightly less efficient. But in reality it’s such a small difference you wouldn’t even notice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does anyone have some of those dealios that they removed? If it will keep my turbo sound down I would like that, and I’m 90% sure that my 2018 doesn’t have them.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If a set from a 2017 2.7 will work you can have mine. Took em out 2 years ago, never noticed a difference. I do use a modifyed OEM sealed airbox including some of the intake piping. KM

·
Premium Member
7,663 Posts
Does anyone have some of those dealios that they removed? If it will keep my turbo sound down I would like that, and I’m 90% sure that my 2018 doesn’t have them.
I have an 18 and I don't think I can hear Turbo spool at all. I'm old, so it could be my hearing?

Before I upgraded the stereo and they nixed my fake V8 sound, I could certainly hear that. (and I actually liked it. It was better than "fake")

But now all I hear is that mellow underhood growl if I'm driving aggressively. I don't know if I have the rings or not.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
544 Posts
Easy to see if you do or don't. Loosen this clamp, pull apart and you'll see right away at opening of PS turbo inlet pipe.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts