F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would cost check with your Ford dealer, maybe see what Ford Performance has to offer.

Basically, anything you modify is no longer covered without a battle.
If you have a good relationship with your dealer you can get away with a few things.
If you add a tuner got instead and there is an issue with the engine in the future Ford Corp would be involved and things get dicey.
Often Corp requires the dealer to send them copies of the engine files which can reveal all kinds of bad things..

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I believe if you do any Tunes etc. your Warranty is in Danger.
but,
If your Ford Dealer does the Tune. I believe your Warranty’s are Safe.
Ask Ford Customer Svc. Your dealer may or may not know the correct answer?
You may check out what the 3.5 HO Raptor parts can boost your Horses..
Remember,
Speed Costs Money.
How Fast Do You Want To Go?

·
Banned
316 Posts
I believe if you do any Tunes etc. your Warranty is in Danger.
but,
If your Ford Dealer does the Tune. I believe your Warranty’s are Safe.
Ask Ford Customer Svc. Your dealer may or may not know the correct answer?
You may check out what the 3.5 HO Raptor parts can boost your Horses..
Remember,
Speed Costs Money.
How Fast Do You Want To Go?
Do you read the other posts? Many of us run tunes and have taken our trucks in and no issue. This has been discussed at length. Some Ford techs have even chimed in. I don't get why people give advise when they have not done it themselves.

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
I could be wrong but the efforts to increase power via "Raptor Parts" will most likely reveal that the performance claim differences are more marketing than actual substance.

Or it can be argued that with 93 Octane fuel in the non Raptor, the difference in factory power claims shrinks dramatically.

That doesn't mean that there aren't any differences physically, but the biggest separation between them is perhaps transmission strategy, timing, due to auto-octane software being leveraged, and MAYBE some minor tuning itself.

I'm sure the tuning pro's have actually seen the differences in the tables themselves.

But I don't think the Ford Parts Counter is going to have much OEM Raptor bolt-on performance upgrades to offer you.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
The only way to guarantee that you won't be denied warranty is not alter the truck in any way. Seriously. The bottom line is this is at the discretion of the dealer who does the work, some care, some don't, some will blame a tune, CC or even a CAI (Yes it has happened), or worse yet - the type of oil put in the truck! So if you don't know where your local dealer stands on the modifications, it's best to just not alter the truck, this way there is no "excuse" the dealer can throw at you for why you were denied. It really just depends on the dealer. But if you want a "guarantee" that you won't be denied a warranty repair, don't alter the truck, it's that simple.

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
The only way to guarantee that you won't be denied warranty is not alter the truck in any way. Seriously. The bottom line is this is at the discretion of the dealer who does the work, some care, some don't, some will blame a tune, CC or even a CAI (Yes it has happened), or worse yet - the type of oil put in the truck! So if you don't know where your local dealer stands on the modifications, it's best to just not alter the truck, this way there is no "excuse" the dealer can throw at you for why you were denied. It really just depends on the dealer. But if you want a "guarantee" that you won't be denied a warranty repair, don't alter the truck, it's that simple.
Well put.

But a perfect example of the sacrifice we are required to make in an effort to demand guarantees. Or to eliminate risk.

I don't fault those that desire such a thing more than I do, but I DO wonder how much can be missed out on? Lol

On my eventual gravestone, I can assure you that it will not say "He played it safe".

I can't imagine never having experienced motoX in my life. For example, you walk into the dealership and purchase a KTM and it's stunningly expensive, compared to most of the competition. You inquire about the warranty and the honest salesman will tell you it's warrantied until we strap it down in the bed of your truck.

Truth is, it's worth the risk!

But, not for everyone. I get that.

·
Banned
316 Posts
So I just had a thought. What if you bought another ECU and installed your stock tune, then just switch them out?

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
So I just had a thought. What if you bought another ECU and installed your stock tune, then just switch them out?
You have the mind of a genius outlaw.

·
Registered
2020 XLT Max Tow SWB
54 Posts
Ever rode in a tuned 18+? It's night and day from stock sport mode...
No I have not. But I'll tell you this: I chased the horsepower dog on my Harley Davidsons. Spending thousands to get a little more power out of that platform. Pretty easy to do they designed it that way. But when you upgrade one part and you don't upgrade those parts Downstream from that you leave yourself open to reliability problems. Harley makes that motorcycle so that it will be fairly trouble-free for 2 years if left stock. Now since 2017 if you dick with the motor in any way shape or form they void your powertrain warranty. I got tired of costly throwing crap at my Harley and then repairing it. My 2014 Limited is stock and instead of putting money into that Harley I bought a BMW 1200. It has all the performance that I'll Ever Need. So instead of throwing money at my 2020 F150 which after all is just a pickup truck I will go ride my BMW motorcycle when I want to feel that Rush of acceleration that the F-150 will never know. you have to do what you have to do with your truck I'm not telling you what to do with your truck I'm just giving you my experience.

·
Banned
316 Posts
I have 20k tuned trouble free miles so far...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
@kicker338 I would be happy with 475-500 hp. I could also always trade in next year to upgrade for the new specs. I know I’ll probably get shot for this but the guys and I at work today we’re talking about the Dodge TRX truck. 702hp whew! That’s pretty damn nice for the price. I’m just not a Dodge fan. Would prefer Ford or Chevy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
@Wichitagreg I know what you mean. I have a 1900 hp Nova drag car. I know my truck will never be anywhere near that. But I would just like to have my daily driver be a little more fun that’s all.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,646 Posts
If your not locked into the 2020 yet, just wait a little while and get a 2021 and you will get the factory tune, 400hp. and 500fps torque. If that wont be enough power for you then
I don't know what els to tell you LOL.
... and get the limited since the company will be buying it ... heck, just get a new Limited every year 👍🏼

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
@kicker338 I would be happy with 475-500 hp. I could also always trade in next year to upgrade for the new specs. I know I’ll probably get shot for this but the guys and I at work today we’re talking about the Dodge TRX truck. 702hp whew! That’s pretty damn nice for the price. I’m just not a Dodge fan. Would prefer Ford or Chevy.
You won't get shot by me?
If that's what tickles your fancy and you want it with a Ford Badge, there are several dealers that will sell you a factory warranty Coyote/blown F150 at incredibly low price. (relatively)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
@Arkansas Eco a limited would be nice, however I am “limited” on my monthly allowance. No pun intended lol. I get $900 a month. Anything over that is out of my pocket and I still have to pay for insurance.

@snakebitten I like that idea! Didn’t know about that. Maybe next year it will be considered if the money is there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am actually driving around stock right now. I have to smog and register. It runs good definitely, but the tranny strategy alone is worth it. Oh and the 100HP...:devilish:
I also live in an emissions required part of the country (south Louisiana), and forgot to flash back to stock, for my first inspection/smog test, back in May. Running the 5* 93 Perf. tune and passed with flying colors. And yes, that 100+ RWHP is very addictive...😈

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I also live in an emissions required part of the country (south Louisiana), and forgot to flash back to stock, for my first inspection/smog test, back in May. Running the 5* 93 Perf. tune and passed with flying colors. And yes, that 100+ RWHP is very addictive...😈
100 RWHP is all I want.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
So a buddy of mine is going to sell me his SCT BDX tuner for $150. Is it worth it? Without tunes of course. I just don’t know where to get tunes from.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts