F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
So I’m in the process of buying a 2020 XLT, with the 3.5 eco boost, of course. I’m curious on what I can and can’t do that might void my warranty. I’ve heard and read many different options. I’m looking to get some more performance out of my eco boost motor but don’t want to void the warranty. I’m thinking intake, throttle body, tuner, boost control, exhaust. But I don’t know what would void my warranty. I’m used to owning used cars and doing what ever I want with them because they’re not under warranty and are paid off usually. This is my first brand new vehicle and I want to mod it but don’t want to loose the warranty or have any issues.
I was told from a mechanic friend of mine that any tuner that flashes the ECM will void the warranty and they can tell when you bring it in for a warranty claim. I’ve also read on here that all you have to do is put the stock tune back on and disconnect the batteries for 30 minutes and you’re good. I find that to be a little silly but what do I know. So any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I would cost check with your Ford dealer, maybe see what Ford Performance has to offer.

Basically, anything you modify is no longer covered without a battle.
If you have a good relationship with your dealer you can get away with a few things.
If you add a tuner got instead and there is an issue with the engine in the future Ford Corp would be involved and things get dicey.
Often Corp requires the dealer to send them copies of the engine files which can reveal all kinds of bad things..

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Performance wise, the only thing you can really do is things you can put 100% back to stock. If you change the intake (which provides questionable gains at best) never take it to the dealer that way - return it to stock. You could add one of the Pedal Commander type widgets which improves performance somewhat, but still, have to take it off when you take the truck in.

Ford can absolutely tell that your truck has been flashed. Pulling the batteries isn't anywhere close to good enough.

If you're worried about warranty and have the funds, there's always the option of a 5Star tune with a warranty (5/60 for $1K).

Good advice here. I happen to own to twin turbo vehicles. My 3.5L eco boost and an Audi RS7. The Audi can get 100 additional HP easy from a tune. It’s a 4.0 L V8. But I won’t tune I like my warranty too much.

Intakes don’t do much and honestly neither do exhausts.

If you don’t want to void warranty just leave as is.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for all the great information. From the sounds of it there’s no tuner out there that doesn’t flash the ECM other than 5* and their warranty. I guess I’ll have to make a decision whether I want to take the chance or not. I do plan on only keeping the truck for 1-2 years. I just don’t want any issues at trade in.

I just bought 2020 F-150 XLT and emailed 5 Star and asked them if Ford would know if I put one of there tunes on and they said as long as I returned the truck back to stock anytime I take it back to Ford they would never know? But Like @tvsjr said you are flashing the ECU so how would they not know right?

Discussion starter · #9 ·
@Cmule a mechanic friend of mine that works for KIA told me that there might be tuners out there that don’t flash the ECM. So far I haven’t found this to be true.

@Arkansas Eco I get a company allowance to buy any vehicle I want. So there’s time and mileage constraints. It just makes sense to trade in the vehicle every year or two. Also since I’m in the construction industry it makes sense to buy a truck since I have to pull onto construction sites on a daily.

Performance wise, the only thing you can really do is things you can put 100% back to stock. If you change the intake (which provides questionable gains at best) never take it to the dealer that way - return it to stock. You could add one of the Pedal Commander type widgets which improves performance somewhat, but still, have to take it off when you take the truck in.

Ford can absolutely tell that your truck has been flashed. Pulling the batteries isn't anywhere close to good enough.

If you're worried about warranty and have the funds, there's always the option of a 5Star tune with a warranty (5/60 for $1K).
I had a similar question for my 2018 3.5 F150 which is still under warranty. I went with the 5 Star Ngauge and tunes with the 60k warranty. I did a ton of research and they are highly recommended. It costs more but safer. I also ordered a oil separator and Mishimoto intercooler both of which I can return to stock if needed.

I run a 5* tune and had to get my phasers done. I flashed back to stock, drove for a month and took it in. They asked if the truck was stock at drop off. I told them other than suspension and tire/rims that it was stock. I never heard anything again.

As far as performance. 18+ trucks just need a tune to gain 100 hp. Everything else on your list wont do much. Get a good intercooler and a tune and call it a day.

Reactions: snakebitten
have you noticed the stock performance of have you noticed the stock performance of the 3.5 twin turbo to be lacking in some way? Put it in sport mode and punch it and you'll find that there is a significant amount of performance available in stock trim. Without any worries about warranty. Louisiana widespread

have you noticed the stock performance of have you noticed the stock performance of the 3.5 twin turbo to be lacking in some way? Put it in sport mode and punch it and you'll find that there is a significant amount of performance available in stock trim. Without any worries about warranty. Louisiana widespread
Ever rode in a tuned 18+? It's night and day from stock sport mode...

Ever rode in a tuned 18+? It's night and day from stock sport mode...
Hey hey hey.......

Have mercy for those who have refrained from partaking in the heroin. Part of me wishes I had never loaded one of those dang files on my Gen2.

In fact, I have never edited my signature here on the forum, which was obviously pre-addiction.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Hey hey hey.......

Have mercy for those who have refrained from partaking in the heroin. Part of me wishes I had never loaded one of those dang files on my Gen2.

In fact, I have never edited my signature here on the forum, which was obviously pre-addiction.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I am actually driving around stock right now. I have to smog and register. It runs good definitely, but the tranny strategy alone is worth it. Oh and the 100HP...:devilish:

Cam phasers for the variable valve timing. Common issue. Your truck has the updated parts so hopefully not an issue for you. I had to get a strategy revision after Ford flashed my ECU but I have not had issues with the tune. Change your spark plugs every 20-30k and all is well.

Reactions: Punisher4711
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.