F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling all tuners and members! I wanted to start a quick thread for the latest and greatest 2021 tuning options and updates.

Currently, there are little to no tuning options for 2021s. Below is what I currently know of based on engine platform. If you know of any more options, please post below! Hopefully as more options open up, this can be a good reference spot for 2021 tuning options.

2.7L
- None

3.5L
- JMS BoostMax

Powerboost
- None

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Edge CS2, Kicker PowerStage
151 Posts
If we can look to other brands with encrypted pcms as any indication, then tuning these things just got real expensive for 21.

We’ll have 2 choices:

- Custom Tunes: buy a replacement PCM from a company like HPtuners ($1k+), then pay the familiar tune & device fees.

- Canned Tunes: in-line chips and plug is like Edge Pulsar or Banks Systems for diesels. Very easy but very conservative and basic.

There really can’t be tuning options for an encrypted pcm; it can’t be “cracked;” only replaced.

If it could be, the Ford did a terrible job on the encryption.
Or they shared the key with the aftermarket… which I just don’t see happening for liability reasons that played a role in the decision for encryption to begin with.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Ford Performance offers some handsomely priced tunes in the future!

But I’m ‘a hopin’!!

Reactions: Built4Boost

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Custom tuning will not be available for a while. Ford really cracked down on locking the calibration.

However, Ford Performance will be the first to provide tuning for the platforms by the end of this year. The FP tunes will be the only tunes on the market that have been put thru Ford’s durability test. Not only that but you pass emissions with flying colors.

I really do urge not going the in-line route. Yes they seem “safe” but why would you rely on a piece of hardware that’s tricking a very complex signal? A complete reflash will always be the way to go.

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Edge CS2, Kicker PowerStage
151 Posts
I probably shouldn’t have used the word safe. I meant non-invasive, invisible, warranty-friendly-ish. Fixed it!

Reactions: SrpRacing

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Custom tuning will not be available for a while. Ford really cracked down on locking the calibration.

However, Ford Performance will be the first to provide tuning for the platforms by the end of this year. The FP tunes will be the only tunes on the market that have been put thru Ford’s durability test. Not only that but you pass emissions with flying colors.

I really do urge not going the in-line route. Yes they seem “safe” but why would you rely on a piece of hardware that’s tricking a very complex signal? A complete reflash will always be the way to go.
This is the way i would go next time, a Ford Performance tune. Then you know it is safe. Couple of my tunes from some of the “top” tuners are questionable.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the way i would go next time, a Ford Performance tune. Then you know it is safe. Couple of my tunes from some of the “top” tuners are questionable.
I agree. Even if the tunes are pricey, its completely worth it as a one time spend in my opinion. I will definitely be looking to go that route if/when available.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Coming from a 15 2.7 with the 6spd, I'm less concerned with getting more power, and more concerned with settling the 10spd transmission down. Its constantly on the move hunting down the right gear.
Seeing as though this is brand new, id go with the Ford Tuning too for peace of mind and warranty. Roush will probably offer something soon as a package I hope.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Encrypted PCM...ahhhh. That makes a lot of sense on why I can not find a tune for my 2021 F150. Bummer!! I hope Ford Performance comes with something soon! I have a 2021 BMW M5 that did the same thing for the first time this year. I thought I was going to be able to tune it and nope. I had a 200hp tune all lined up but it only works for the 2020. I would have bought used if I would have know that.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,084 Posts
But the good news is that you didn't exactly start with an anemic truck when you took delivery of your 2021

These are SAE adjusted 87 octane numbers below. That's 87! And we all know just how much 93 octane can be leveraged with the Ford logic onboard, especially with the Gen2 computers.
(For the life of me I don't understand why they wouldn't have dynoed with the best OAR they could get?)

Makes me want to take my truck over to Matt at GearHead just to get some sea-level 93oct numbers. I honestly believe this truck is putting down numbers very close to my tuned 2018. And it comes off the bottom even harder. Although I admit I'm not currently rolling on 35's and there's no doubt those siphoned off some power.

Don't Gen2 trucks put about 330-335RWHP untuned?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone with any experience with Burger Motorsports JB4 tuners?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I would do my best to stay away from any in-line “tuner”. These engines are way too advanced to just trick the MAP sensor to make more power.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would do my best to stay away from any in-line “tuner”. These engines are way too advanced to just trick the MAP sensor to make more power.
I have my reservations too..thanks for the input. Whats the logic of in line tuners like this? Just false signals to the MAP sensor to manipulate boost?

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
I have my reservations too..thanks for the input. Whats the logic of in line tuners like this? Just false signals to the MAP sensor to manipulate boost?
Correct. In the case of a diesel, where these designs originated, they would spoof the Boost and fuel Rail pressure to get it to inject more fuel and more air. It wasnt a big deal if it was perfect because diesels don't care what air/fuel ratio they run.

On the Ecoboost, they only spoof the boost, and then let the PCM correct for it using its closed loop logic where it uses the O2 sensors to adjust the fuel trims to match the air. You are reducing the safety margins built into the PCM in a sense.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Correct. In the case of a diesel, where these designs originated, they would spoof the Boost and fuel Rail pressure to get it to inject more fuel and more air. It wasnt a big deal if it was perfect because diesels don't care what air/fuel ratio they run.

On the Ecoboost, they only spoof the boost, and then let the PCM correct for it using its closed loop logic where it uses the O2 sensors to adjust the fuel trims to match the air. You are reducing the safety margins built into the PCM in a sense.
Ahh makes sense.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Livernois just announced they will have tuning for the 2021's in the next few weeks:

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I was just about to comment on this. Livernois has the ability because they partnered with Ford Performance.

Livernoise provides them the device, FP provides them the propriety tuning software.

If I’m not mistaken, the 5.0L uses a different controller compared to the 3.5L and 2.7L.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,084 Posts
I was just about to comment on this. Livernois has the ability because they partnered with Ford Performance.

Livernoise provides them the device, FP provides them the propriety tuning software.

If I’m not mistaken, the 5.0L uses a different controller compared to the 3.5L and 2.7L.
That explains a lot!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All good news!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts