F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Honestly this is dangerous waters for ford to pick favorites. They should work with cobb and hptuners too because they are locking out the majority of tuners. I'm still waiting for cobb access to tune my gen 3 raptor.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,086 Posts
I'm sure there is more to the selection process than picking favorites.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,086 Posts
Bingo. Working with the aftermarket is a very tricky thing to do.

It depends on the platform as well. Ford Performance has a "HPTuners" sticker on the side of their training school Explorer ST.
That's kind of telling, don't you think? Lol

Just conjecture, using logic and assumptions.... (which is why I get it wrong often, I admit)

Nobody knows Ford's engine management better than Ford. In fact, there's nothing that they don't know about it. It's their creation.
I assume that they can purchase any tuning platform that they are interested in and then see for themselves what that platform has discovered about THEIR engine management. And I'm sure they would be THE experts regarding whether any of these tuning platforms and approaches are doing a good job or not.

When Ford decided to make whatever changes they made on the 2021 engine management system that resulted in the aftermarket tuning gurus suddenly being "locked out", they had a strategy for doing so. We can claim it as sinister if we choose to, but in my opinion that's just self-serving. There's more to the story than Ford just trying to make it hard on us.

The story will continue to unfold. And I firmly believe that given enough time their will be tuning, both the kind Ford wants to influence by the efforts they have made, as well as the rogue (cracked and not beholden to Ford) tuning.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
That's kind of telling, don't you think? Lol

Just conjecture, using logic and assumptions.... (which is why I get it wrong often, I admit)

Nobody knows Ford's engine management better than Ford. In fact, there's nothing that they don't know about it. It's their creation.
I assume that they can purchase any tuning platform that they are interested in and then see for themselves what that platform has discovered about THEIR engine management. And I'm sure they would be THE experts regarding whether any of these tuning platforms and approaches are doing a good job or not.

When Ford decided to make whatever changes they made on the 2021 engine management system that resulted in the aftermarket tuning gurus suddenly being "locked out", they had a strategy for doing so. We can claim it as sinister if we choose to, but in my opinion that's just self-serving. There's more to the story than Ford just trying to make it hard on us.

The story will continue to unfold. And I firmly believe that given enough time their will be tuning, both the kind Ford wants to influence by the efforts they have made, as well as the rogue (cracked and not beholden to Ford) tuning.

The reason is because they went to OTA updates and will be integrating self-driving capabilities. They lock down the entire system in the truck to prevent someone from OTA hacking your truck and driving you off a cliff.

At least for Ford, I don't think there was anything nefarious about it, just a side effect of progress. GM and Toyota are way more suspect. Toyota's PCM's have been locked down for a very long time.

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Edge CS2, Kicker PowerStage
152 Posts
The reason is because they went to OTA updates and will be integrating self-driving capabilities. They lock down the entire system in the truck to prevent someone from OTA hacking your truck and driving you off a cliff.

At least for Ford, I don't think there was anything nefarious about it, just a side effect of progress. GM and Toyota are way more suspect. Toyota's PCM's have been locked down for a very long time.
Yup, it’s all security driven. Thanks hackers.

If we look at Chrysler, GM etc. who’ve had locked PCMs for a few years now, looks like our paradigm will shift. First step in tuning may be to acquire a separate unlocked pcm. Usually from the platform you intend to tune with.

So the layout for an initial tune jumps from $500+ to $1800+. Bang for buck suffers but should still be attractive enough if big gains can still be had.

But anecdotally I think it means fewer people choose to tune, reducing discretionary dollars, possibly reducing the community size of tuners.

Eg 5th gen Rams hardly any one is tuning now, despite tunes being widely adopted for 4th gens.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Yup, it’s all security driven. Thanks hackers.

If we look at Chrysler, GM etc. who’ve had locked PCMs for a few years now, looks like our paradigm will shift. First step in tuning may be to acquire a separate unlocked pcm. Usually from the platform you intend to tune with.

So the layout for an initial tune jumps from $500+ to $1800+. Bang for buck suffers but should still be attractive enough if big gains can still be had.

But anecdotally I think it means fewer people choose to tune, reducing discretionary dollars, possibly reducing the community size of tuners.

Eg 5th gen Rams hardly any one is tuning now, despite tunes being widely adopted for 4th gens.
The other issue with getting unlocked PCM's is that I don't believe the dealer can access them anymore. I was under the impression that when HPTuners unlocks the GM PCM's, the desolder and reinstall a new chip to gain flashing ability. I don't think they actually crack the 256 bit encryption.

·
Premium Member
10,086 Posts
But with Ford openly working WITH a tuner/tuning platform, aren't they at least indicating that they don't want to officially ban tuning?

I'm not sure I object to a manufacturer using robust security measures to protect genuinely rogue attacks or behavior. Although security always has its tradeoffs with freedoms.

Ford, at least on the surface, seems to be open to accomplishing a balance WITH the oem pcm.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
But with Ford openly working WITH a tuner/tuning platform, aren't they at least indicating that they don't want to officially ban tuning?

I'm not sure I object to a manufacturer using robust security measures to protect genuinely rogue attacks or behavior. Although security always has its tradeoffs with freedoms.

Ford, at least on the surface, seems to be open to accomplishing a balance WITH the oem pcm.

Yeah, 100%, but they are probably making sure that the tuning is compatible with their encryption. I suspect that livernois probably has the abillity to bypass encryption in an official manner since they were give the access and so you will still have a secure truck after flashing a Livernois tune. At least that's how I would imagine it would work.

Who knows if HPTuners or the others would even have the capability of doing that with their current devices.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Premium Member
10,086 Posts
Yeah, 100%, but they are probably making sure that the tuning is compatible with their encryption. I suspect that livernois probably has the abillity to bypass encryption in an official manner since they were give the access and so you will still have a secure truck after flashing a Livernois tune. At least that's how I would imagine it would work.

Who knows if HPTuners or the others would even have the capability of doing that with their current devices.
If I didn't have the added complexity of the Hybrid, which I assume would not be Livernois's priority to tackle, AND if Ford openly confirmed my warranty wasn't in peril.....

I would HAPPILY step up to the plate and work with those folks in any way that I could help.

Having a well tuned Gen2 and personally experiencing the difference between oem and tuned many times back to back, I gotta say that this Powerboost feels like it has incredible potential if I could let the horse out of the barn, so to speak. Oem to oem, this thing is noticeably MORE than my 2018. Especially off the bottom. You can casually rip, comparatively. Like you don't have to spur it to get it to gallop.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The main issue I see with Ford controlling the aftermarket tuning is it's primarily done through a marketing/profit lens. Whatever gains are there to be had, you'll pay for it in increasingly higher dollars. I doubt Ford would even offer any updated tune with a warranty attached either. That's part of the reason the trucks are "de-tuned" to begin with, the parts just cannot handle the longevity of a higher HP tune over long periods of time.

I think from a value point of view, it's probably easier to just get a larger motor rather than squeeze water from a rock.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
I see whipple has a 2021 5.0 supercharger kit now and their own tuning. Were they given access by Ford as well?

·
Premium Member
10,086 Posts
Yea, these 2 blokes (video) were one of the first to get the Whipple on their 2021.

(they got it the same time that AutoVlog dude got his. In fact, they met up at Town&Country Ford at the same time to get them.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Yea, these 2 blokes (video) were one of the first to get the Whipple on their 2021.

(they got it the same time that AutoVlog dude got his. In fact, they met up at Town&Country Ford at the same time to get them.

That TRX held its own considering its a stock 6400+ lb truck with 35's and was down 73 hp.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts