F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have you guys done in the latest gen? Looking for stuff that will install cleanly without losing much storage space and such and will integrate into the sync4 setup. I haven't bought car stereo stuff in many many years so no idea who is doing what any more. System won't be played overly loud and don't need it blowing the windows out. Just turning it into something respectable and clear. I wan't impressed with the B&O 8 speaker so just went with the base stereo figuring I could use that money to upgrade it a bit.

· Moderstrator
3,079 Posts
I hope our Sound Experts chime in soon - I’m sure many are interested in this.

· Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
15,277 Posts
I've refrained simply because 1. I haven't done anything to my 2021 or 2022, so I'd be putting his money where my mouth is.
2. Although I don't dislike the B&O (unleashed 19 speaker version) as much as some do, I also am very aware of its limitations. (I have splurged before on automotive sound. Documented, in fact, right here on this forum)

I've pondered what my strategy might be more than a few times. I think you have to conclude what the end game REALLY is first. If it's a "build", you definitely go after it very different than if it's "an upgrade".

I'm not going to do a build. I don't trust myself to keep the truck long enough for a build to be less risky, although I currently have ZERO intention of this being a short-termer. But many here know I have said that before!

I'm probably going to do the obvious and upgrade the main speakers up front. Doors and A-pillars and dashboard mids. I'll likely unplug the center speaker. At least to compare.

I'm almost certain that will lead to the inevitable sub being the culprit holding my contentment back.

· Registered
865 Posts
I'm watching this thread also, though mine will be a B&O. Looking at Crutchfield, they're only showing 6 1/2" and 6 3/4" speakers as compatible. Has Ford strayed away from their previous almost universal 6"X8"/6"X9" speaker openings?

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not keeping the truck long enough to do a build is kinda where I am. I would definitely be looking at an upgrade. With the supply shortages I do have this little nagging in my head that I might get the itch in a few years to get the new toys that will be available when the chip shortage starts to stabilize.

So the base, non B&O stereo. How many speakers are there? 2 in the back doors, 2 in the front doors, and 2 in the pillar? Is there a center in that setup? Wish there was an aftermarket enclosure for a sub like the factory one. The stealthbox is way too much for my needs, way too expensive, and I am not willing to lose the storage.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I reached out to crutchfield to ask. Here is the response. "so 6x9's will fit in the front doors, will not deny that, but with our measurements we have found that the mounting height of the doors are 0.198" and the smallest 6x9 we have is about 0.246" so they could work but it would need some modifications to make them work, but there are more in the 6.5" and 6.75" that can meet that measurement"

· Registered
865 Posts
So I reached out to crutchfield to ask. Here is the response. "so 6x9's will fit in the front doors, will not deny that, but with our measurements we have found that the mounting height of the doors are 0.198" and the smallest 6x9 we have is about 0.246" so they could work but it would need some modifications to make them work, but there are more in the 6.5" and 6.75" that can meet that measurement"
So it's nothing that a hammer, hacksaw or Dremel can't fix... Thanks ;)

· Premium Member
17 Lariat SCLB Max Tow 4x4
1,211 Posts
Usually they want you to space the speaker out. Sometimes means clearancing the door panel.

Reactions: mijdirtyjeep

· Premium Member
669 Posts
My truck is a '20 but the only mod I had to do was about a minute worth of shaving with a Dremel on the inside ribs of the door panel (drivers door). It was a very small area where it came in contact with the speaker. The weird thing was I only had to do it on the drivers side. Here's what's in my front doors.

I too have the less than impressive B&O.

Wheel Font Rim Automotive tire Camera accessory

And in the rear doors...

Automotive tire Camera accessory Output device Camera lens Cameras & optics

This inexpensive swap made a huge difference.

· Premium Member
17 Lariat SCLB Max Tow 4x4
1,211 Posts
My truck is a '20 but the only mod I had to do was about a minute worth of shaving with a Dremel on the inside ribs of the door panel (drivers door). It was a very small area where it came in contact with the speaker. The weird thing was I only had to do it on the drivers side. Here's what's in my front doors.

I too have the less than impressive B&O.

View attachment 185051

And in the rear doors...

View attachment 185052

This inexpensive swap made a huge difference.
I wonder if this work the same for the Sony system?

· Registered
2017 F150 XL 2WD 2.7, with some extra stuff!
2,130 Posts
For what it's worth, I upgraded my 2017 XL front with Morel 692 Ultra Tempo components a Kicker Key 4 channel amp with built in DSP, and a tidy Rockford Fosgate PS-8 powered sub-woofer. The large 6x9 speakers fit with the adapters just fine on the stock locations. I have a regular cab so no rear sound but hear recommendations to leave the rear OEM just for fill. I bi-amped the tweeter woofer setup, used a plug in FOR 11-CK harness for the wire connections.
Product Black Shipping box Packing materials Bumper
$600 worth of outlet sale equipment.
Table Audio equipment Office equipment Office supplies Laptop
Speakers with silicone baffles and adapter rings, the tiny Key amp, RF SP-8
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle door Automotive design Automotive lighting
While in the doors sound deadening went on the outer panels.
Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Motor vehicle
Tweeters mounted in pillars with straps cut from a milk jug. The subwoofer fit under the passenger seat. I have no center speaker but would suggest disconecting it when using a DSP to get a clean front stereo stage. This package installed easily, is completely stock in appearance, and after running the tuning program with the supplied "pink noise" file was a major improvement in the sound. All on a budget and DIY install. KM

· Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,678 Posts
You may have mentioned but are you going for more sound quality or just overall more clear sound with more volume?

If going for sound quality you for sure are going to want components in the front doors (mid driver in the door and tweeter in the factory a pillars locations) running passive is fine (with crossovers) but active is a whole Nother level but also going down a whole nother rabbit hole and much different gear.

To keep it somewhat simple I would do like Grimm did and use something like the kicker key with component speakers in the front doors/tweeter a pillars.

· Registered
2,130 Posts
Automotive tire Rim Alloy wheel Automotive wheel system Audio equipment
Automotive tire Textile Tread Pink Audio equipment
Bumper Vehicle Audio equipment Automotive exterior Electric blue

This is the OEM door speaker.
Product Black Automotive tire Purple Audio equipment

The Morels are substantially deeper as assembled with baffle and adapter, but fit in factory location without modification.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive lighting
The panels fit on without and problem. The widow cleared fine. Lot of room in the doors! KM

· Registered
2,130 Posts
You may have mentioned but are you going for more sound quality or just overall more clear sound with more volume?

If going for sound quality you for sure are going to want components in the front doors (mid driver in the door and tweeter in the factory a pillars locations) running passive is fine (with crossovers) but active is a whole Nother level but also going down a whole nother rabbit hole and much different gear.

To keep it somewhat simple I would do like Grimm did and use something like the kicker key with component speakers in the front doors/tweeter a pillars.
The Key is worth a good look. It can be set for active (bi-amp) with 2 channels to woofer/mid and 2 to the tweeters. The built in DSP EQ can tune itself with it's own program and sound samples. Even has a self diagosis program that audibly sounds after running the program. KM

· Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,678 Posts
Volume isn't really my concern. Quality is what I am after.
Are you looking for true sound quality where the speakers completely disappear as far as locations sound is coming from you cannot tell and it basically sounds like the band is on your hood, center image center of dash, good separation from instruments/singers. Basically be able to close your eyes and point to where the artist is standing. The complete sound stage is in the windshield about eye level and from one rear view mirror to the other in width.

If so you'll want a DSP running active, quality 6.5 speakers for front doors and a larger tweeter (1.5" or so) for the a pillars that will be able to play lower then the smaller tweeters and blend with the mid drivers. The biggest key will be tuning of the DSP, which will make or break a system. There's some nice DSP/amp combos available but not cheap. There's also a few guys that tune those DSP/amps remotely with phenomenal results, prices vary for those services as well.

I'm a huge fan of Helix DSPs and run a Helix P6 mk2 that powers Audiofrog GB15 tweeters and Audiofrog GB60 mids running active (each speaker has its own dedicated amp channel which gives you extreme control with EQ for each speaker)

I've heard good things about the kicker key I just don't have any personal experience with it. I think it has a self tune option which is great if just getting into this slippery slope rabbit hole hobby.
I still think grimreapers option would be a solid choice for a much improved sound system over the factory without diving so deep into this.

Edit: grim was too fast for me haha. Sounds like the kicker key is a solid option at a very good entry price

Reactions: Boatwaco

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I
Are you looking for true sound quality where the speakers completely disappear as far as locations sound is coming from you cannot tell and it basically sounds like the band is on your hood, center image center of dash, good separation from instruments/singers. Basically be able to close your eyes and point to where the artist is standing. The complete sound stage is in the windshield about eye level and from one rear view mirror to the other in width.
Yeah that would be nice

· Registered
6,678 Posts
I

Yeah that would be nice
Its really really cool and addicting as heck chasing that euphoric ultimate sound quality dragon.
With this current truck, 2019, I went into a shop telling myself I'm just going to add a subwoofer to my factory system, well...lol around $8k later and completely overhauled system I've completely changed out my equipment a couple times and about to do another big change. Loving every minute of it as well!! Of course I've recouped some money selling equipment that I swapped out but usually at half retail even if only under a year old.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts