F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
FX4 is the best, why wouldn't they have regrets!?

Reactions: Pinero61

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am with ya.... 4 x 4 is the way to go. If I remember correctly there was a 1 mpg difference and my cheap @SS went with the 2wd.

Next truck will be a 4 x 4!

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Yeah I... oh wait.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Dont need it and dont want it!

Here in good ol west texas the only ones that need 4x4 is the people that like to drive threw the middle of the lake (yes you can drive threw the middle of most of our lakes around here)

Couldnt pay me enough to buy a used 4x4 around these parts.

·
Registered
565 Posts
2wd wasn't even an options where i bought my truck and honesty i wouldn't have even concidered unless i wanted to build a street rod

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I chose 2wd for the additional towing capacity. I have rregretted not getting 4wd about 3 times for about 3 minutes. Once when i slid off of the culvert while backing my trailer up and my rear tires were off the ground. In this case my front tires were still on the road and I would have been able to pull myself out. I ended up having to get pulled out by my neighbors dodge. And twice this winter I have left for work before the plows had made it to my area and the commute (2 miles) was a little sketchy. The other 362 days of the year I have been just fine with my 2wd. Plus over the 10 years I plan on having the truck that 1mpg difference will probably add up to a bit of cost savings, along with less maintenance on the truck over time.

SPPD

Reactions: WhiteHorseII

·
Registered
287 Posts
One thing to think about is 4x4's have a better resale value.

2013 Lariat CrewCab 4x4 Off-Road ShortBox w/3.73

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I chose 2wd for the additional towing capacity. I have rregretted not getting 4wd about 3 times for about 3 minutes. Once when i slid off of the culvert while backing my trailer up and my rear tires were off the ground. In this case my front tires were still on the road and I would have been able to pull myself out. I ended up having to get pulled out by my neighbors dodge. And twice this winter I have left for work before the plows had made it to my area and the commute (2 miles) was a little sketchy. The other 362 days of the year I have been just fine with my 2wd. Plus over the 10 years I plan on having the truck that 1mpg difference will probably add up to a bit of cost savings, along with less maintenance on the truck over time. SPPD
The maintenance alone can be a huge factor. It's another system to service and another thing to go wrong. If I could make do with a 2wd I would, but unfortunately I need it a few times a year, and when I need it, I NEED it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Don't regret it cause the cost of maintenance on my past f250 system was a headache to say the least. But I did need 4wd one time with the f150. Got stuck in my residential backyard after a hard rain, Haha, while trying to move the boat. Felt like a puss.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Dont need it and dont want it!

Here in good ol west texas the only ones that need 4x4 is the people that like to drive threw the middle of the lake (yes you can drive threw the middle of most of our lakes around here)

Couldnt pay me enough to buy a used 4x4 around these parts.
Hell, I know they do rock crawling and trail riding out there. Why wouldn't you want a part of that?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have always bought 4x4 's. I live in SW Michigan,,, Lake effect snow. Last night at 10 no snow, this morning at 5 we had 6 inches. Although with the traction control and advanced -trac I never even thought about using 4x4. But it's there like a safety blanket, just in case I need it.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
2wd here and absolutely no regrets. If I needed a 4wd truck I'd have gotten one. I don't gauge fun by how much mud is on my truck but by how many fish are in the cooler. My 2wd handles my boat just fine.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
2wd here and absolutely no regrets. If I needed a 4wd truck I'd have gotten one. I don't gauge fun by how much mud is on my truck but by how many fish are in the cooler. My 2wd handles my boat just fine.
If someone regrets the truck they bought ... then they bought the wrong truck in the first place. And they should trade it in and get the right truck or they'll never be happy with their truck.

Like a few others said, we have snow on the ground for around 3-4 months of the year and we have nothing but hills. A 2WD truck is useless if you must drive your truck all year round.

I do wished I bought a model with AWD instead of 4WD EOFS. But, I didn't know that Ford actually offer AWD over 4WD EOFS when I bought it. There are days where I am constantly switching from 4HI to 2WD and back; as I drive down the road from "snow covered", "slushy wet", and then "dry" roads/streets. AWD would be the perfect drive system for those days.

It is the AWD feature that may cause me to trade my current truck in for a newer model in the next couple of years.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Reactions: Awdturbo4

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you have a 2WD that you've regretted?
I bought a 13 fx2 I love the truck. Sometimes I just miss having 4x4. Trading in is not a option either some how my truck is only worth 29k after 3k miles. Next time 4x4 for sure I was just trying to save some $.

·
Registered
45 Posts
No regrets at all...:D I don't need, or want, a $X$ and the additional initial, insurance, and maintenance cost$ would make it an expensive "toy" for me...been their, done that. :rolleyes: If I lived up in the mountains I'd reconsider 4WD, but I'd probably buy an Explorer before I'd buy a 4WD truck....

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would have considered a FX2 but I couldn't find one for a significant savings over the fx4 I bought. They were all optioned out. I haven't been in a situation where I have needed it yet. I have used it but I wouldn't have been where I was if I didn't have it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts