F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the new laminated windshields fragile? I had a number of rocks and pebbles hit my Q70 over the last year with nothing more than a small mark but the first rock that hit my 2016 F150, it caused a sizable star and overnight it now has three huge spider legs growing by the hour! Anyone else have this problem?

·
Administrator
7,775 Posts
Get used to it on these trucks. I have had a cracked upper passenger side windshield for over 30K miles. I just filled the crack and any other chips in with Superglue. No point in spending the money to get a new one when the one I currently have is still functional.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Seems like a common problem like mile says.

Do a super clean of the windshield and apply a nice strong sealant. I use Klasse sealant glaze on window and paint. It leaves an acrylic sealant. Also check out Cquartz products. I have been nicked one that I know of and it has just left a tiny scratch like, no full chip/star.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I increased my comprehensive insurance to 0 deductible. Call your agent. They fill chips free, and I actually just got a new windshield. I filled about 5 chips in 2 years ...and now the new windshield after a rock hit the edge and a crack happened immediately.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Mine was cracked within 6 weeks of buying the truck. Been that way for over 5 years now. I figure I'll replace the windshield and get a crack within weeks so why bother.

·
Administrator
7,775 Posts
Mine was cracked within 6 weeks of buying the truck. Been that way for over 5 years now. I figure I'll replace the windshield and get a crack within weeks so why bother.
Exactly

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I got a rock on day 3 of owning my truck. It's on the far passenger lower corner. It annoys me when I was the truck, otherwise I don't even see it.

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts
I agree with Miles and Chris. I had a truck throw up a rock and bullseye dinged my windshield (low on pass. side) while I was on the way home from the dealership, after picking up my truck for the first time. Talk about being ticked off! I got it filled/fixed for $40, a year ago, and have had no more issues since.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Magnet. At least 4 fills over 40,000 miles and then a crack. 0 comprehensive. If you don't fix the chip they spider. If I didn't already have the comprehensive I'd let it go. But it wasn't much more a month. Worth it for me. Glass guys come and fill when I'm working. Don't have to take it to them or anything. Comprehensive isn't a claim. Its different.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I got a nice 9" long crack bottom pass side from a rock earlier this year. Nobody around here was willing to fix it, so I got a rain x kit and fixed it myself. Hasn't spread anymore, and I don't notice it when I'm driving either. I'll replace the windshield if/when I get one that's obstructing my view, or when the glass gets all pitted.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Mine was pitted. So I can live with it, or replace it free...

They did give me an option of no visor srip or with. I chose with knowing it was low tint. I miss my 5%. So now, do I go 5% and have it less or 20% and hopefully net is close.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts