F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to pick up my 2018 F150 3.5L ecoboost and can't wait. It is coming with 331 rear end in it which is great for fuel mileage but I am wondering what I will really be loosing tow-ability wise when I hook up to my 5,200 pound camper versus having 3.55 rear ends in it.

Again, I am not a full time camper but do have plans on pulling the camper out West at least once and then during the winter down to Florida to stay for a couple months on top of some local pulls to camp grounds during the summer.

Naturally, Indiana is flat but I will be moving to WV next year and I know that I will be traveling more mountainous terrain than flat.

Will the 3.31 versus the 3.35 use more fuel while towing due to the rear end configuration or does it even really matter when your running in tow haul mode?

·
Registered
650 Posts
It'll be just fine. 1 step on rear end ratio won't make much difference when you're pulling a 2.5 ton box around behind you. That said, the 3.31s versus 3.55s won't make a significant difference on unloaded fuel economy, either.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
You will be fine towing that little with 3.31s.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a 14 with a 3.31 and tow a horse trailer that when loaded exceeds your camper and when towing my tractor on an equipment trailer the load is pushing 8500 lbs and I have no complaints. I'm in Southern Illinois where nothing is flat.
Throw it in tow haul mode and enjoy.

·
Administrator
770 Posts
Shouldn't have an issue. I don't tow in tow/haul mode however, I use sport mode. Seems to work better for me

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts