F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly I just discovered this leak on my 2014 XLT with 60k miles. Has anyone has a shop fix this leak for them? Looks like it’s coming from the black coolant line from the fitting that bolts to the turbo. I’ve only had the truck for three months, and it’s just outside the warranty period offered by the dealer I purchased it from. What am I looking at in repair costs? Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,039 Posts
I think that's one of those "jiffytite" fittings?

There's a few fellas on here that have tackled those frustrating things.

Is it a significant leak? Or a slow drip? I'd be tempted to give it a good tap and see if it stops leaking. (I'm basing that on the various posts concerning how finicky they are to get "seated" properly)

But do nothing until you get additional feedback beyond mine. :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s a decent leak at this point. It lost half a liter of coolant in 13 days which included two 2.5 hour drives this past weekend (I’ve been monitoring it closely since topping it off). Honestly I have no idea how I made it through a south Texas summer without it catastrophically overheating.

·
Premium Member
5,039 Posts
It’s a decent leak at this point. It lost half a liter of coolant in 13 days which included two 2.5 hour drives this past weekend (I’ve been monitoring it closely since topping it off). Honestly I have no idea how I made it through a south Texas summer without it catastrophically overheating.
½liter wouldn't be that big of a threat to overheat, would it?

Obviously you will need to keep it topped off while you consider your strategy.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had a local shop that specializes in Fords replace my driver side coolant lines and fittings from the block to the turbo, both lines and all 4 fittings. I purchased all the parts to do it myself then decided to have someone else do it, I might of had like $145-$160 in parts (if i remember correctly, or maybe it was $100ish) and it was $425 in labor, plus they had a bolt break off in the manifold, which required them to remove that and drill it, so that added a gasket and bolt kit plus another $85 in labor. So all in all about $600ish is what I paid a shop to fix mine, only the drivers side. The local dealerships were close to $1000 to $1100.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well heres an update: I coughed up the coin to fix the drivers side leak. Fast forward two weeks and now my passenger side has decided to fail, same fitting as the driver side... I am now experiencing the epitome of what is buyers remorse 😫.

·
Premium Member
5,039 Posts
Buyers remorse? For just a couple of fittings that leaked? Truck is 6 years old.

OH how I hope I get 6 years with no more than that!

Having said that, I'm not impressed with whatever jiffy-tite's are.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I replaced the fittings on the driver side last year. It’s not that hard just time consuming and in a really lousy spot. A couple hours, some fittings and some coolant.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Buyers remorse? For just a couple of fittings that leaked? Truck is 6 years old.

OH how I hope I get 6 years with no more than that!

Having said that, I'm not impressed with whatever jiffy-tite's are.

I understand what he is talking about, he bought it with 60k miles and within the 1st 6 months he's had it these fittings leak and will probably cost close to $1500-$2000 to have repaired. That's nothing to sneeze at, especially when you consider the cost of these trucks being 6 years old.

with the reputation of these jiffy-tite fittings, i can only assumed they are manufactured and distributed by Jiffy Lube.....hahaha

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also changed fitting on drivers side of 13 platinum. Part was cheap. Under 10. And looks cheap. It took a few hours and was a little hard to reach unless you have long skinny arms. Had to work with one hand to do it but i lucked out and it went pretty smooth. The good thing is that the coolant line snaps into the fitting so you dont have to remove the clip for reinstall. My passenger side also started leaking after i fixed drivers but not nearly as bad. I have a new fitting but this one looks much harder to get to so i am waiting until it gets worse before attempting this one

·
Premium Member
5,039 Posts
I also changed fitting on drivers side of 13 platinum. Part was cheap. Under 10. And looks cheap. It took a few hours and was a little hard to reach unless you have long skinny arms. Had to work with one hand to do it but i lucked out and it went pretty smooth. The good thing is that the coolant line snaps into the fitting so you dont have to remove the clip for reinstall. My passenger side also started leaking after i fixed drivers but not nearly as bad. I have a new fitting but this one looks much harder to get to so i am waiting until it gets worse before attempting this one
Like your attitude!

Forum welcomes you. Glad you're here.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I did passenger side on mine, was not fun, but it's doable.
Pretty poor engineering on that fitting - less than 30.00 worth of
gaskets and parts, but due to the location, turbo has to come out,,,,
dealers charge around 1100.00 - because of a ten cent O-ring

·
Registered
582 Posts
@tookielee and @Kohan25m - do you guys have all the part numbers needed to remove and replace both sides? I have the manifold leak and am trying to get numbers for all the gaskets & seals before I jump into it.

Also since I just came into a few extra $$$ I may upgrade to the CRP turbo wheels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing, has anyone had this fixed under the 5 year 60k mile drivetrain warrenty? I have 1 month left?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Does anyone know if any of the ESP’s from ford cover this repair?

And if so, how do you go about looking up what plan you actually have?

My truck was purchased through my company 5 years ago and I know we purchased an esp but I’m not sure who within the company has the paperwork from the Bill of Sale. I’ve asked two people and each of them says the other must have it.

Is there anyway to lookup the policy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just saw this thread and have the same issue with the drivers side but can it be done without removing turbos?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts