F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the new owner of a 2018 Ford Expedition with a 3.5 eco boost. I know this is an f150 but the expedition forum hasn’t responded to my question so I was thinking maybe y’all could help. This suv has 77k miles (90% highway). I plan on using this vehicle to tow my 8k lb travel trailer. Do y’all think I should go ahead and change out cam phasers/chain and associated equipment? Or let her rip till it starts clickin on start up? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
764 Posts
Personally I would continue mission if you do not have the symptoms.

If you run quality synthetic oil and a good filter, changed at the maximum of 5k miles you may never have to experience that nightmare of chain rattle.

You may also consider priming the motor before start up as well.

This is essentially just holding down the break and gas and cranking the motor. Either by push button or turning the key. It will spin but not turn over, effectively priming and lubricating the engine. Do it for a few seconds until you see your oil gauge go to the normal range then release and start her up.

Welcome to the forum!

Tapatalk - it’s like bacon, for your phone.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,446 Posts
No need to hold the brake.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank y’all for the replies. I tow from Texas to Montana so the last thing I want is a mechanical failure. Thanks again

·
Registered
2017 F150 XLT, 3.5 ecoBoost, 4 door, Super Crew, Stock
73 Posts
My phasers gave up at 100,000 miles.
I always ran full synthetic mobile 1, with any cheap filter, 5,000 mile oil changes.
Looking back and many oil filter youtube videos opening the filters to compare.
I will always trust the Motorcraft filter from now on.
I think my poor choice of cheap filters did my phasers in.
Just my 2 cents.
Take it or leave it.

Reactions: Expedition_mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My phasers gave up at 100,000 miles.
I always ran full synthetic mobile 1, with any cheap filter, 5,000 mile oil changes.
Looking back and many oil filter youtube videos opening the filters to compare.
I will always trust the Motorcraft filter from now on.
I think my poor choice of cheap filters did my phasers in.
Just my 2 cents.
Take it or leave it.
Did you do the repair yourself? Or did you take it to the dealership?

·
Registered
2017 F150 XLT, 3.5 ecoBoost, 4 door, Super Crew, Stock
73 Posts
Did you do the repair yourself? Or did you take it to the dealership?
Dealership. $3,100
I had everything replaced, needed or not.
4 phasers
2 chains
2 tensioners
4 vvt solenoids
All timing chain guides
Water pump
Thermostat
6 spark plugs
All needed gaskets
Antifreeze
Oil and filter

·
Registered
709 Posts
112K on my ‘14 and no noises here. I plan on just driving it, if it fails it’s just the nuisance noise. Some have had it done only to have it return in a short time. So preventative surgery maybe not too successful.

Reactions: eeore39648

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dealership. $3,100
I had everything replaced, needed or not.
4 phasers
2 chains
2 tensioners
4 vvt solenoids
All timing chain guides
Water pump
Thermostat
6 spark plugs
All needed gaskets
Antifreeze
Oil and filter
Ouch that price tag hurts me. But it’s cheaper than a new truck. I am preparing myself mentally to have this problem at some point

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
9,444 Posts
Ouch that price tag hurts me. But it’s cheaper than a new truck. I am preparing myself mentally to have this problem at some point
I tell myself that it's very common for folks to spend 3K on a set of rims/tires for their new truck.

So I am investing the price of a set of rims/tires to get another 75-100k miles out of my truck?

Just perspective. :)

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
764 Posts
Agree with @snakebitten

I think I have close to $5-6k in parts now, but that is just because I am stubborn...but hopefully it lasts a lot more time before I need to drop more coin into it.

At least I know it is done correctly and I was able to add some quality additional components while I was in there.

That is the nature of the beast...you are either going to pay someone a premium to do the work with a question mark in the back of your head or do it yourself, take that money you would spend on labor and turn it into aftermarket enhancement...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think the best thing you can do for an Ecoboost that is used for towing down the interstate is to leave it running at fuel and rest stops and not shut it off with turbos that are warm/hot that need oi and coolant flow through them. If you have a keypad on the door just hit 8-9 together and it locks while running.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the best thing you can do for an Ecoboost that is used for towing down the interstate is to leave it running at fuel and rest stops and not shut it off with turbos that are warm/hot that need oi and coolant flow through them. If you have a keypad on the door just hit 8-9 together and it locks while running.
That’s some really good advice that I didn’t think about. I remember my dad always doing that in his 7.3 diesel when we would go on road trips. Same principal applies to these as well.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,446 Posts
Nope. You are thinking old-tech. These don't need that. Makes no difference.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,446 Posts
That’s some really good advice that I didn’t think about. I remember my dad always doing that in his 7.3 diesel when we would go on road trips. Same principal applies to these as well.
Same principle does not apply. The 7.3 was old turbo tech. No longer needed.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,446 Posts
Just more idling for no reason and we all know how these engines dislike idling.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
9,444 Posts
Just more idling for no reason and we all know how these engines dislike idling.
Mine apparently dislikes it so much that it doesn't idle at all. In fact, if you let off the gas it dies, rather than idle.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Edge CS2, Kicker PowerStage
115 Posts
You oughta get that checked out while still under warranty.

I bet it’s just spark plugs & a KAM reset.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco
1 - 20 of 29 Posts