F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,447 Posts
Mine apparently dislikes it so much that it doesn't idle at all. In fact, if you let off the gas it dies, rather than idle.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Must be a keeper !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nope. You are thinking old-tech. These don't need that. Makes no difference.
I wish I had followed that process with my 2012 Eco with 181k miles. Both turbos are going out and dealer wants $7.2k to replace them. A local shop quoted me $6.8k 😬
I’m just driving it locally and gently accelerate to minimize turbo usage. Timing chain rattles if I don’t run it for over a week. Dealer wants $5k for that repair. I love the truck, but can’t see spending that kind of money to repair it.

·
Moderstrator
3,346 Posts
7.2K for both turbos replaced seems totally unreasonable to this feeble mind. What the heck else are they replacing? New exhaust manifolds or down pipes perhaps? No doubt they'll change the oil and coolant lines and fittings but seriously that seems high.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
9,455 Posts
Hmmmmm

So if the ~$2500-3000 timing job is $5k at your place, I guess that could explain the $7K Turbo job?

Is it a Porsche/Ford dealership?

Sounds like both places are really busy right now, in my opinion.

Hey GearHead, you beat me. You Quickdraw. :)

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
I concur with HeadGear and BiteSnake on this one.

That price is astronomically high, they must be charging an enormous labor rate.

Considering OEM turbos can be purchased new for less than $1200...heck Full-Race and CRP, along with other "performance" companies sell upgraded turbos that would still be cheaper to swap in...plus add in CRP manifolds, gaskets and coolant parts you would still be paying well over $2000 in labor to THAT dealership...yikes.

Before I dove into my timing job I checked around. No local shops had previously done a 3.5 timing job so they declined. The dealership quoted $3400 with OEM parts.

Yes, that Porsce/Ford dealer probably has a Land Rover/Ferrari sign on the back parking lot.

Man.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
77,830 have cold start “slap” for approx 1-1.5 seconds upon start up. I guess I jinxed myself ): once warm it won’t do it. I’m thinking the cam phasers are just now beginning to get clogged up. Not replacing until I get codes or it blows up. F that

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
Its not that bad!! A whole learning experience in itself, you will get intimately involved with your truck at a level few ever will...

That may have been a poor choice of words.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I wish I had followed that process with my 2012 Eco with 181k miles. Both turbos are going out and dealer wants $7.2k to replace them. A local shop quoted me $6.8k
I’m just driving it locally and gently accelerate to minimize turbo usage. Timing chain rattles if I don’t run it for over a week. Dealer wants $5k for that repair. I love the truck, but can’t see spending that kind of money to repair it.
I don’t know how some may feel about it but maybe look at your local you pull it place and see what you can find then take them to a turbo specialty shop for full rebuild and install yourself. Tell them to do any and all upgrades while they’re at it. Be way cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 29 of 29 Posts