F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are other posts about this but no official solution, here's what my truck does(2019 3.5eb f150)
I've been monitoring knock and OAR with my Brew city boost tunes and I always get alot of positive knock under slight acceleration(not even in boost, still in vaccum)
The knock is so bad it brings the OAR up to 0.96 on my SCT BDX and that makes the truck very sluggish. Low timing and less boost caused by the maxed out OAR.

I tried running the stock tune and monitoring the knock/OAR and the problem is there. Maxed out OAR within a few minutes of driving, I could even get +5.99 knock with the OAR at +0.96 on the STOCK TUNE with 91 V-Power in the tank.

However, as I increase the load, knock goes negative and I can easily bring the OAR to -0.96 where the truck runs the best. WOT is still negative knock with -0.96 OAR but as soon as you drive gentle, the knock sensor goes crazy and the OAR goes back into high positive numbers and the power tanks.

I put new plugs(SP580) gapped at 0.028 in the truck, no difference
Changed oil to full synthetic Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 (someone said it could make a difference), no difference
New air filter, truck runs perfect but has much less power when the OAR is maxed out.

What should I try? I datalogged the truck while the knock happens and everything seems normal other than the knock sensor reading positive values, seems like false knock to me but everything is tight, exhaust isnt touching anything, there's nothing to trigger the knock sensor from what I can see.

What should I do next?

Thanks for your input!

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
That does sound like false KR. Are you able to splash in any e-85? That would help narrow down real or false.

·
Registered
7,133 Posts
I've been seeing similar stuff happen lately, although my OAR has not hit +.96. But at low load I do get a lot of positive KR and then it swings deep negative and even pegs at -4 when at medium load like climbing a hill.

I kinda suspect the OEM tuning at low load is super aggressive for MPG's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's no E-85 available in the area, not even 93 octane.

I tried adding 130 octane to make a 95 mix, didn't make a single difference.

I dont think it's the fuel, if I drive aggressively, I can get -0.96 OAR and still get negative KR under boost, bad fuel wouldn't do that

·
Registered
5,509 Posts

I dont think it's the fuel, if I drive aggressively, I can get -0.96 OAR and still get negative KR under boost, bad fuel wouldn't do that
I see you are in Canada. Western Canada has the WORSE gas possible. Even if it is 94, it really isn't.

The ONLY way I could control my knock retard was to mix a minimum of E20 with our "94". It definitely controlled the knock.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
618 Posts

This is baffling me. I had some super crappy gas, by crappy like it was -0.47 but I’m using Boostane and my octane is super high, like 94 or 95 now, OAR stays at -0.96 constantly.

You can order Boostane online off of Amazon. Order a bottle or two and add like 6 ounces per tank of gas and see if that helps.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Boostane is not good for engines long term from what I understand. I'd add a few gallons of e85 or send my tuner some logs to get the situation properly reaolved.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
618 Posts
Boostane is not good for engines long term from what I understand. I'd add a few gallons of e85 or send my tuner some logs to get the situation properly reaolved.
Not from what I have heard....

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
The stock calibration is more aggressive under light load for efficiency and emissions. But you should however not be maxing out OAR. Either your fuel is literally water or something is causing false knock.

With the truck idling - open up the hood and listen for anything. In the past, a bad PCV valve will rattle and that can cause false KR.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Boostane is not good for engines long term from what I understand. I'd add a few gallons of e85 or send my tuner some logs to get the situation properly resolved.
Since he said he can't get e85 that's not an option. And please show some supporting material on Boostane being bad, this is the first I've heard of it and several tuners even talk good about it.

·
Registered
7,133 Posts
Since he said he can't get e85 that's not an option. And please show some supporting material on Boostane being bad, this is the first I've heard of it and several tuners even talk good about it.
Including Boostking

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
I cannot comment on Boostane, but I believe it is should be as good as Race Gas, which I have used on my truck. AND yes, it definitely controlled my KR issue (until I found E85).

Also, you can add a couple of jugs of Methanol, which works just like Ethanol. Methanol is readily available at any Canadian Tire. Just get down to a 1/4 tank (or less) and then you only need to add a lesser amount Methanol. Maybe mix it in a 25L Gerry Can first to get it all mixed up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts