F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Super Crew FX4 Eco Boost with 3.73 rear end gears (Not Max Towing). I think its rated for 9,700 lbs. I have 70,000 miles on it. I had had no problems with this truck other than getting rear ended on the interstate about a year ago. Insurance company fixed the truck and I have not noticed any difference from when it was new. Out of the 70,000 miles we have pulled our Jayco 27' camper about 5,000 to 6,000 miles. This camper weighs about 4,500 lbs dry weight and loads out at about 6,000. Our truck will rip this rig down the highway. I have to watch it or I will be running 75-80 and not realize how fast we are going. I get 17 to 17.5 (non towing) and 8.5 to 9.5 pulling the camper.

I am looking at 2013 Super Crew FX4 Eco Boost but with 3:55 rear end. Give me ya'll ideas on towing with the 3:55 vs. 3:73.

Attachments

·
Registered
943 Posts
I would go with the Max Tow Pkg that way, you know you will have enough truck to pull a bigger trailer if you should some day get one. I don't think you will notice much difference with the 3:73's in your MPG.

·
Registered
182 Posts
When towing a lot it sounds like most people favor the 3.73. I have the 3.55's but I only tow a Side X Side and an occasional 15ft bass boat...it does fine. We are looking into a Travel Trailer so it'll get found out just no time soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 3.55 EB SCAB tows our 27' travel trailer just fine, but mostly it's my wife & I camping. No kids, no pets.

However - getting a SCREW with the 3.55's will probably get you a payload of 1100# or so. Check the door sticker on the truck, the Ford brochure numbers are for a stripped-down truck only. Add people, gear, hitch, and tongue weight and you'll go over your GVW pretty quickly. For a SCREW I'd at least want the Max Tow package if not the Max Payload option.

Welcome to 1/2-ton towing, where you run out of payload before running out of trailer tow capacity.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Personnel I don't think you will notice much of a difference with the rear end options given the mountain of TQ the EcoBeast lays down over such a vast RPM range... If you are going new and towing a lot the Max Tow PKG gives you a little more than just a rear end Ratio bump; addtional tranny and oil cooler upgrade; bigger hitch; sweet towing mirrors; etc... But again 3:55 are great for all around use and the 3:73 are great for towing the monster loads near limits... Either way as long as you go with a Eco you cant go wrong my friend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2012 FX4 SCREW SBox with MAXTOW and Eco 3.73 rear. You cannot get 3.55 with MAXTOW. But really there is no difference between a 3.55 or 3.73 with Ecoboost - maybe a couple MPG better with less pull power but limit yourself on future options by not going with MAXTOW.

I can also tell you if you're towing a larger trailer heavier than 8000# and longer than 30' you will need airbags installed. I know because my 8100# trailer plus two 30# tanks + two 65# 6V batteries plus stabilizer plus family plus stabilizer hitch will exceed max vehicle weight.

If you plan to get a larger trailer also opt for the HD Payload option. It's cheaper than getting airbags installed after the fact.

Ed

·
Registered
4 Posts
An interesting tidbit at least on the 2012's: The tow rating with the 3.55's and 3.73's WITHOUT MAX TOW was the same. I asked Ford what made the Max tow have a higher rating, they said it was because the Max tow got a radiator with another row of tubes in it over the Standard tow package.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I tow a 32' travel trailer weighing in at roughly 8500-8700 lbs. Two adults, two kids and a dog in the cab. A grill, empty portable dump tank, gas fire pit, spare 20 lb propane tank and corn hole boards in the bed. Just returned from a 700 mile round trip to Michigan and back. Averaged 9.8 mpg going up and 9.8 mpg coming home. I'm pretty sure it would be a bad idea to try that with a 3.55 rear end, but 3.73 and max tow package handles it like a ECOBEAST!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
I have the same truck but 2013 FX4 with 3.55 rear end and Jayco Jayflight 22FB trailer
Just me and wife most times
Here are the numbers
I spent a trailer load of time putting them all together so I know where I am and what I have loaded and how much room I have to add anything

2013 F150 FX4 Ecoboost 4x4 Screw with 3.55 rearend
Rated to pull 9600lb (4355kg) trailer
FGAWR=3750 lbs
RGAWR= 3850 lbs
GVWR= 7200 lbs (3266kg)
Max Payload 1519 lbs (689kg) Oh gee I can load it up with 3/4 of a ton.. Read on for the real number
Michelin Tires P 275/65R18 Tires 2601 lbs Max at 44 psi
(Truck Door sticker says same tire size but at 35 psi)
Therefore Rear Tire Max load 5202 lbs so tires have additional capacity
GCWR = 15500 lbs (7031kg)
Actual Truck Weight 6553.2 lbs
with accessories and full tank of fuel with passenger and driver 25 lbs gear Equilizer Hitch= Equalizer Hitch Weight: 100 lbs based on Stinger with Hitch Head and WD arms
Available tongue weight on truck is 7200-6553.2 = 646.8 lbs Maximum ....Ouch! This is where the non Max tow gets hurt!

Our Trailer
2012 Jayco Jayflight 22FB
GVWR 6500 lbs
Max cargo carrying capacity 2130lbs
Actual trailer weight:somewhere about 5100lbs (weighed last year at 4900lbs added 10 US Gal water and some additional supplies and a newer BBQ)
Max Tongue Weight 650 - 780lbs
Actual: IF trailer is 5100 - 5200 and 10-12% tongue weight 510/612 - 520/624 lbs
Keep in mind for every 100 lbs you add to the trailer it will change the tongue weight by 10-12 lbs on average.

If trailer is max loaded capacity on truck would in theory be:
9600lbs Truck Tow Capacity - 6500lbs Trailer Max GVWR = 3100lbs for passengers fuel and stuff in truck including accessories.
That number you will never get to because the GVWR on my truck is 7200lbs with accessories, Fuel driver and passenger and my Hitch head and my tongue weight I will max out first and have by the numbers above
So in my case I am within the GVWR of 7200 lbs but cannot move to a larger trailer or put anything in the box of the truck or bring any additional passengers without being on the ragged edge of the GVWR.

Will it take the abuse Of course it is a Ford echoboost'd Pickup truck!
Is it safe That's a personal liability question.
You are in a panic stop You are over the GVWR for the truck
The brakes start fading too fast for the combined load you are trying to stop Things go from concerned effort to avoid problem to just plain bad in a fraction of second

If you are seriously looking to move to a new truck given the trailer you have I would say get the Max Tow minimum and HD would be even safer.
Max Tow will give you 7650 GVWR on the Supercrew 5.5 box with 3.73
Max Tow will give you 7700 GVWR on the Supercrew 6.5 box with 3.73
The HD payload package means heavier springs and 17" LT series tires to handle the extra payload and Trailer capacity
LT tires have more plys in the sidewalls then the P series tires they put on all these trucks.

The 3.55 gears versus the 3.73 will make little difference when not towing but will give you even more grunt when climbing hills with the trailer on it

RRII

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi
I have the same truck but 2013 FX4 with 3.55 rear end and Jayco Jayflight 22FB trailer
Just me and wife most times
Here are the numbers
I spent a trailer load of time putting them all together so I know where I am and what I have loaded and how much room I have to add anything

2013 F150 FX4 Ecoboost 4x4 Screw with 3.55 rearend
Rated to pull 9600lb (4355kg) trailer
FGAWR=3750 lbs
RGAWR= 3850 lbs
GVWR= 7200 lbs (3266kg)
Max Payload 1519 lbs (689kg) Oh gee I can load it up with 3/4 of a ton.. Read on for the real number
Michelin Tires P 275/65R18 Tires 2601 lbs Max at 44 psi
(Truck Door sticker says same tire size but at 35 psi)
Therefore Rear Tire Max load 5202 lbs so tires have additional capacity
GCWR = 15500 lbs (7031kg)
Actual Truck Weight 6553.2 lbs
with accessories and full tank of fuel with passenger and driver 25 lbs gear Equilizer Hitch= Equalizer Hitch Weight: 100 lbs based on Stinger with Hitch Head and WD arms
Available tongue weight on truck is 7200-6553.2 = 646.8 lbs Maximum ....Ouch! This is where the non Max tow gets hurt!

Our Trailer
2012 Jayco Jayflight 22FB
GVWR 6500 lbs
Max cargo carrying capacity 2130lbs
Actual trailer weight:somewhere about 5100lbs (weighed last year at 4900lbs added 10 US Gal water and some additional supplies and a newer BBQ)
Max Tongue Weight 650 - 780lbs
Actual: IF trailer is 5100 - 5200 and 10-12% tongue weight 510/612 - 520/624 lbs
Keep in mind for every 100 lbs you add to the trailer it will change the tongue weight by 10-12 lbs on average.

If trailer is max loaded capacity on truck would in theory be:
9600lbs Truck Tow Capacity - 6500lbs Trailer Max GVWR = 3100lbs for passengers fuel and stuff in truck including accessories.
That number you will never get to because the GVWR on my truck is 7200lbs with accessories, Fuel driver and passenger and my Hitch head and my tongue weight I will max out first and have by the numbers above
So in my case I am within the GVWR of 7200 lbs but cannot move to a larger trailer or put anything in the box of the truck or bring any additional passengers without being on the ragged edge of the GVWR.

Will it take the abuse Of course it is a Ford echoboost'd Pickup truck!
Is it safe That's a personal liability question.
You are in a panic stop You are over the GVWR for the truck
The brakes start fading too fast for the combined load you are trying to stop Things go from concerned effort to avoid problem to just plain bad in a fraction of second

If you are seriously looking to move to a new truck given the trailer you have I would say get the Max Tow minimum and HD would be even safer.
Max Tow will give you 7650 GVWR on the Supercrew 5.5 box with 3.73
Max Tow will give you 7700 GVWR on the Supercrew 6.5 box with 3.73
The HD payload package means heavier springs and 17" LT series tires to handle the extra payload and Trailer capacity
LT tires have more plys in the sidewalls then the P series tires they put on all these trucks.

The 3.55 gears versus the 3.73 will make little difference when not towing but will give you even more grunt when climbing hills with the trailer on it

RRII
Wow !!! You have done your research !!!! Our trailer is a Jay Feather LGT 27P. Its GVWR is 6000. Its dry weight is 4180. Our 2011 FX4 Eco 3.73 handles it well. In your response are you saying the 3.55's will give you more pulling power or are you saying the 3.73's with give you more pulling power ?

Thank You and everyone for the responses.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
3.73 will have more pulling power.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found a 2013 FX4 Eco Boost Oxford White with black leather.....exactly like my 2011 FX4 Eco. This truck has 3.73 rear end like my current rig. It is being delivered from a dealer in Louisiana today. I am have a spray in bedliner installed and Lo Jack installed. I should be driving it Monday evening or Tuesday for sure. I will post some pics of the new one next week.

Here is my 2011 that I will be trading in Monday.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Having a SCREW, 6.5' box, 3.73 rear end the only downside is the minor hit on MPGs when not towing. But I just did a 5 hour trip all highway with two adults and luggage making an avg of 19.4 mpg. But that loss is going to be made up when towing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
To get the maximum towing and payload (hitch weight) capability that Ford offers on the F150 you need the following options:

XL or XLT or Lariat

with

ecoBoost
Maxtow
HD Payload
3.73 limited slip differential

Not all beds are available with these options for these models.

Build you own F150 here:

Build Your 2013 Ford F-150

·
Registered
29 Posts
The 3.55 should give you better fuel economy on the highway. A higher calculated theoretical top speed at maximum RPM.

The 3.73 should give you more available torque/power and better acceleration/control. An important factor in towing or racing.

On light loads at part throttle it should make little to no difference. A larger factor will be how heavy your foot is.

An intangable is the efficiency of the match in the vehicle. Ford probably knows this for each use type.

·
Registered
91 Posts
3.73 if your towing heavy such as a travel trailer or fifth wheel, 3.55 is just fine if your towing a less than 5000lb boat. 4.10s are available on the fx4 ecoboost package, but it's a waste of gas IMO.

I generally get between 9.5 and 10.3 mpg towing my 2014 Wildcat 282rkx

Reactions: coffeehound

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 2012 XLT extended cab with the 3.55 rear end and tow a 23foot Passport that is 4600lbs empty and 5600lbs loaded and it tows just fine with 3.55 but like others have said anything much more than that you will want the 3.73 and max trailer tow package.

·
Registered
3 Posts
3.55 is about 95% 0f 3.73 so there is about 5% more torque to the rear wheels and 5% more rpm with 3.73. Smaller diameter tires give the same result as higher numerical axle ratio. The ECO's flat torque curve, high torque at low rpm's, and 6 speed transmission probably make the difference less noticeable. If you tow on the upper edge of the tow ratings, by all means, get the 3.73. 4.10's would give almost 15% more torque vs 3.55 or about 60 ft lbs at peak.

·
Registered
510 Posts
My trailer is about the same size and I have a xlt 4x4 with 3.55's. Trust me. It handles 5500-6000 lbs just fine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts