F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is the latest of what we are seeing at the dealers on this issue. If yours is having these issues which may be intermittent take a close look at the items listed. Also this is a ongoing issue which Ford Engineers are still going after. There are a few fuel injector issues but not many it all seems to be on the ignition side of things and the water in the intake from the intercooler is a whole other issue they are still working on and I go over the latest design on that as well. The new issue with age on these is spark plug cracks something so small will likely go overlooked by the technician or DIY type and they usually cause intermittent misfires like this one. It is something to look at if you are having any of these ongoing issues......

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We'll glad I have full race FMIC and fresh set new of new plugs going in. Seems like Ford is making the stock intercooler less efficient by blocking all that air flow to try and get rid of the condensation issue.
Yes they seem to be making it much less efficient to raise the temps. It is funny when we did preps on the new ones when they first came out Ford made a big stink about how we had to make sure we put the license plate offset and not in the middle cause it would block airflow partially over the cooler now they are doing it anyway.

·
Registered
519 Posts
It's stated the latest revision of the CAC is AE. For clarity, the AE unit includes the three described deflectors (top back, top front, bottom front) or only two deflectors (top back, and bottom front)? Are the AE units these now shipping from final assembly in this configuration?

I have a factory, untouched by dealer, AD unit. This unit has deflectors on the top back, and top front only. Is the update, if there are any experienced for customers with the AD unit, to replace AD with with the AE unit, or to modify the AD unit deflectors to match the latest AE configuration?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
It is funny that we aren't supposed to block the intercooler opening but OE techs are blocking intercooler fins off left and right. Increasing intake temps and destroying performance.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So what is the cause of the cracked insulator in your opinion?
I am not positive if its the design of the plugs or not but the temp extremes is my bet. I only see this on ecoboost engines.

It's stated the latest revision of the CAC is AE. For clarity, the AE unit includes the three described deflectors (top back, top front, bottom front) or only two deflectors (top back, and bottom front)? Are the AE units these now shipping from final assembly in this configuration?

I have a factory, untouched by dealer, AD unit. This unit has deflectors on the top back, and top front only. Is the update, if there are any experienced for customers with the AD unit, to replace AD with with the AE unit, or to modify the AD unit deflectors to match the latest AE configuration?
I have not paid attention to the new stock units. If you have anything but AE we take off the top front air deflector and put the revised lower stick on one plus a reflash. The top rear deflector stays put. They are no longer recommending changing cac to AE version.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice to have insight into the testing, development, and evaluation of these fixes Ford is producing. I would really like to see the parameters being used and the results.

I would be curious to understand the engineering reasoning behind the angle our IC is positioned, if that has anything at all to do with the situation.

Whole thing just seems odd. I've been around turbocharged intercooled engines for 25+ years both OEM and aftermarket applications. Never have I experienced any issue or concern or any dialog around condensation collecting in the IC and then being ingested. Just a very strange set of circumstances that must have come together for this to occur.

I would like to understand where the condensation is pooling. It seems it must be collecting somewhere in the IC or post IC.

I would like to understand the differences in Intake Air Temperature (IAT) from the original IC design, to what they offer today as the fix adding the deflector on the bottom front. What is the difference.

Hopefully the aftermarket has solutions to this that can be validated and a possible path for owners should they experience and make the decision to resolve on their own.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have not paid attention to the new stock units. If you have anything but AE we take off the top front air deflector and put the revised lower stick on one plus a reflash. The top rear deflector stays put. They are no longer recommending changing cac to AE version.
How is the new bottom deflector attached to the CAC? My existing top front and top rear deflectors on my AD unit are mounted on the top with area between the cooling fins and the deflector plates.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have a 2013 f150 ecoboost screw. I have just the top front ans top covers over cac. My truck been to the dealer a few times and the never said anything about a tsb. I don't know if I want that bottom cover on mine though. Maybe they only do that tsb if your having problems with the condensation issue

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
519 Posts
A TSB will only be addressed on your vehicle if your vehicle is confirmed by the dealership to have the symptoms described in the TSB. There is some leeway here depending on your relationship with the dealer. If your truck doesn't exude the systems it typically won't be addressed by the dealer for a warranty fix under the TSB.

The TSB, from the video is 13-8-1. TSB details aren't typically disclosed to the general public. Sometimes through searching on the internet a copy of a TSB can be located.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How is the new bottom deflector attached to the CAC? My existing top front and top rear deflectors on my AD unit are mounted on the top with area between the cooling fins and the deflector plates.
It sticks to the cooling fins.

I have a 2013 f150 ecoboost screw. I have just the top front ans top covers over cac. My truck been to the dealer a few times and the never said anything about a tsb. I don't know if I want that bottom cover on mine though. Maybe they only do that tsb if your having problems with the condensation issue

Yes only if there is a problem, if you pm me your email I can send you a pdf of the tsb.

·
Registered
519 Posts
It sticks to the cooling fins.
Thanks for confirming. The other deflector plates are gapped, or have some marginal space between the vanes and the actual deflector plate. With this plate being stuck to the core itself, it will block all air flow across that particular section of the core and the associated vanes.

From a performance standpoint the Ford fix as many have alluded, will likely make the IC less efficient. The PCM reflash is likely to align with the less efficient IC operation. IMHO if you don't have the condition, be glad.

Thanks again for confirming the details.

I'm curious to observe if any of the aftermarket IC's reduce the possibility of this symptom from being present. I haven't seen any of the Full Race IC owners state any symptoms. Not sure anyone has asked. Any full race IC owners experience the condensation issue?

I really like the OEM looks and appearance of the Wagoner IC. I have a personal preference for OEM appearing upgrades. Curious if the Wagoner unit has any potential for correction. I did see on a web page that claimed the Wagoner unit wasn't susceptible or something to that context.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea thanks for the email with tsb and your help! Much appreciated!!!

No problem hope this has informed everyone.

·
Vendor
1,173 Posts
Also want to step in and ask those with the RX systems, all have reported back zero issues since installing it. Anyone here that has still had issues and the RX system did not cure them after installation? Need to know as to date 100% that have kept us informed report all issues cured.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just curious if I have the latest, correct inter cooler. I recently bought a used 2012 and it has an AC cooler in it with none of the extra deflectors I have seen on here. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is this just an east coast issue? Or a high humidity problem? I live in Utah (desert) and was wondering if I should be concerned about this happening to my truck.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Is this just an east coast issue? Or a high humidity problem? I live in Utah (desert) and was wondering if I should be concerned about this happening to my truck.
I live in Houston...think sub tropical high humidity...and never once had the issue. But I never stay at a single speed for extended times.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts