1,529 Posts
EcoBeast hands down!
1. Fuel economy
2. Torque
3. HP
4. Towing ability see 2&3
5. The look on peoples faces when you tell them it's a 6
6. Sound of the Turbos spooling

My guess is you are going to get an overwhelming response in favor of the EB. After all you are on the F150 EcoBoost Forum LOL.

SPPD

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
The only thing better about the 5.0 IMO is the exhaust sound. Stock, the ecoboost is very quiet, which I like, but with an aftermarket exhaust it sounds terrible to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only thing better about the 5.0 IMO is the exhaust sound. Stock, the ecoboost is very quiet, which I like, but with an aftermarket exhaust it sounds terrible to me.
Looking to buy new truck and unsure about EcoBoost potential problems...especially the Turbo chargers several years from now

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
EcoBeast hands down!
1. Fuel economy
2. Torque
3. HP
4. Towing ability see 2&3
5. The look on peoples faces when you tell them it's a 6
6. Sound of the Turbos spooling

My guess is you are going to get an overwhelming response in favor of the EB. After all you are on the F150 EcoBoost Forum LOL.

SPPD
Looking to buy new truck and unsure about EcoBoost potential problems...especially the Turbo chargers several years from now. What is the most mileage you've heard on a F-150 EcoBoost ?

·
Registered
589 Posts
If there is any doubts about what the EcoBoost can with stand watch the youtube clips of Ford putting it thru the ringer and then tearing it down. It is impressive. it totalled some 150,000 plus miles doing stuff no normal drive would put his/her truck thru in a single lifetime.

IMO I have driven the 5.0l, 6.2l, and Eco. I walked away in a Eco because it had best of both worlds MPG and Power. Honestly it felt fast (didn't sound fast like the others). I tow heavy loads way up and some times pass the recommend limits and the Eco just chugs along at low rpms and holds the over drive gears like I have only seen Diesel motors do; doesn't rev out like the bigger V8s. I have operated mine down to -70f with no issues.

I have friends with same truck but with the 5.0l and had good success but doing back to back driving wether towing or empty the Eco just out preforms them. Honestly they are all solid motors and the only plus I give to the 5.0l and 6.2l over the Eco is the exhaust note.

Another good read I would recommend would be the article Full-Racing.com did on the EcoBoost. They show you how over built the motor is and how much untapped monster Ford left inside. I don't think you will be disappponted in a 5.0L if you went that route but I can tell you that I have never had a motor like the Eco put more smiles on my face and get more questions asking just what it is all about.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If there is any doubts about what the EcoBoost can with stand watch the youtube clips of Ford putting it thru the ringer and then tearing it down. It is impressive. it totalled some 150,000 plus miles doing stuff no normal drive would put his/her truck thru in a single lifetime.

IMO I have driven the 5.0l, 6.2l, and Eco. I walked away in a Eco because it had best of both worlds MPG and Power. Honestly it felt fast (didn't sound fast like the others). I tow heavy loads way up and some times pass the recommend limits and the Eco just chugs along at low rpms and holds the over drive gears like I have only seen Diesel motors do; doesn't rev out like the bigger V8s. I have operated mine down to -70f with no issues.

I have friends with same truck but with the 5.0l and had good success but doing back to back driving wether towing or empty the Eco just out preforms them. Honestly they are all solid motors and the only plus I give to the 5.0l and 6.2l over the Eco is the exhaust note.

Another good read I would recommend would be the article Full-Racing.com did on the EcoBoost. They show you how over built the motor is and how much untapped monster Ford left inside. I don't think you will be disappponted in a 5.0L if you went that route but I can tell you that I have never had a motor like the Eco put more smiles on my face and get more questions asking just what it is all about.

Good luck!
Thanks for taking time to reply...I LOVE the EcoBoost but am afraid of recent complaints......

·
Registered
169 Posts
My brother is the service manager at my local Ford dealer. He said that in 3 years he hasn't had one back for any significant issues. He has had many 5.0 back for oil usage and Ford thinks that 1 quart in 4000 miles is acceptable. I asked about the acceleration problem and he hasn't had any complaints. I don't think you would be sorry with either.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Most people are ranging from 18-24 mpg highway at best. It all depends on your driving style, modifications, and terrain. The v8 sound is the only benefit to the 5.0l. Ecoboost is faster, stronger, more mpg, and has spooling turbos!

getting better gas mileage is part of having an ecoboost, BUT if you're buying a truck to get 30mpg... It won't happen.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Most people are ranging from 18-24 mpg highway at best. It all depends on your driving style, modifications, and terrain. The v8 sound is the only benefit to the 5.0l. Eco boost is faster, stronger, more mpg, and has spooling turbos!

getting better gas mileage is part of having an ecoboost, BUT if you're buying a truck to get 30mpg... It won't happen.[/QUOTE]

very well said , people are dreaming if they think any of the big three will get that with what ecoboost offers us

i had the same concerns and every one i spoke to said they loved them and would / will get another one

·
Registered
35 Posts
I drove the base 3.7, 5.0 and ecoboost....was actually going to get the base 305hp 3.7 until I found a deal on the ecoboost. I've been lusting after it since ford introduced it, not your average motor...... The tubos are borg-warner and pretty much bullet proof, everything important in the motor is forged and the crank has 6 bolt mains......if that isn't enough find a certified, slightly used one at a dealership and you get the bumper to bumper warranty extended to 48mo/48.000mi and power train warranty to 7yr/100,000 miles, that's what I did..............can't lose in my opinion..........John

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had the same question not long ago. I've ALWAYS had a V8 and was very concerned about have a V6 (yuck). I had a friend that bought an FX4 and let me drive it around a little. That made my decision. I not have an EB of my own (which I've modded a little), and I couldn't be happier. And I'd do it 100 times over again. You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went from a 05 Duramax to a 13 FX4 on April 1st. I have a friend who had an order in for an 11 Ecoboost before they even started building them. He hasn't had any problems with it and loves it. I haven't pulled anything with it yet but, have been with him when he has and it is up to the task. I have never owned, or had any interest in owning a V6 truck, but I can tell you that I have no regrets and would do it again in a heart beat. That being said. If Ford releases a V8 Ecoboost in the next couple of years, I will have a real hard time not bailing on the V6. LOL Another thing I will say is that this is only the second Ford I have ever owned and at this point I am not even considering looking at another Government Motors truck.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I was at the dealership all day yesterday. Almost traded my 12 eco xlt for a 13 fx4 5.0. Kept my eco and glad I did. I'd love to have an fx but not with losing my turbos!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Turbos are made by Honeywell. They're a reputable company with years of turbo and jet engine experience, including the auxiliary power unit we use on the Blackhawk.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Honeywells are on the transverse motors the F150 has Borg Warners. A K03 variant I believe

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you tow, Eco all the way, if you don't I really don't think you can go wrong earthier way the 5.0 is a great engine and sounds awesome. F150ecoboost out tows a 6.2 Chevy from 9000ft to 11000ft up a 7% grade 8000lbs finishing 1 minuet faster. No contest.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
26 Participants
grishw1
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing