F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is my first post. I just bought myself a 2011 Super crew 4X4 with a 3.5L Ecoboost.... with a hole in the block. Yes I knew there was pretty significant damage when I bought it. I am looking for tips on removing this engine. I do not have a 2 post lift so I don't think I can lift the cab off. From what I have researched the biggest issue is going to be the upper tranny to engine bolts? I hear I may have to prop the cab up slightly to get at them? Or is taking the motor out with the tranny all at once doable?

Also this motor will not rotate so does that change my options for getting the torque converter off if I leave the tranny installed? I could pull the oil pan off and maybe free the jammed rod, but I'd prefer not doing that.... but i'll do what ever needs doing.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Agree with the above but would add also take off the coolant crossover tube. Take lots of pictures as you go along. I think your going to have to free it up to rotate it to get the four torque converter bolts off the flexplate. Remove all wiring connections at the back of the motor. There's one that's difficult to see that goes to a sensor between the motor and trans that has to be unplugged. It goes behind a sheild, through a rubber grommet behind the DS turbo.

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
You could just pull the motor with the torque converter attached. You’ll get some tranny fluid and have to pull the motor farther forward to be able to get it out. Not usually the recommended route, but it will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
300 Posts
Agree with the above but would add also take off the coolant crossover tube. Take lots of pictures as you go along. I think your going to have to free it up to rotate it to get the four torque converter bolts off the flexplate. Remove all wiring connections at the back of the motor. There's one that's difficult to see that goes to a sensor between the motor and trans that has to be unplugged. It goes behind a sheild, through a rubber grommet behind the DS turbo.
The hall effect sensor on the flexplate? I leave the engine harness on and disconnect it at the trans and O2 sensors and the main disconnect on the P/S firewall.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you’re a methodical fella buy a $25 72 hour access subscription to the motorcraft service website and you get step-by-step instructions how to remove the engine. Takes all the guess work out of it. Just my 2 cents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts