F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first time on a thread like this, it seems like a lot of knowledgeable folks on here.

I have a 2013 Ford F150 FTX with the 3.5L Eco Boost. Truck has ~72,500 miles on it and just had the timing chain and guide repair done at a local Ford Dealer. They gave me no indication of what the initial cause was. However they told me that one of the gears had a catastrophic failure, so I asked them to send me pics.

Service guy told me they had never seen this happen before, but they were going to clean the metal out of the motor and to come back in 500 miles for an oil flush/change to remove any remaining pieces of metal in the engine. Got truck back and drove about 380 miles and the truck started to feel labored going up a very slight incline. About 10 seconds later the Low Oil Pressure light flashed and the truck immediately died. I tried to start the truck back thinking it may limp home at least ( about 5 miles maybe). The truck barely started and had a HORRIBLE screeching sound like the crankshaft or something was trying to seize up. Anyone else had this issue after the timing chain repair? With less than 400 miles on the truck after repair, it makes me think the mechanic may have done something wrong. Any insight would be appreciated as a motor replacement is going to be VERY costly. (Should I push on the dealer for a bad repair, etc.?). I have had zero issues with this truck until the timing chain issue happened.
Thanks

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Edge CS2, Kicker PowerStage
115 Posts
Yikes! Unfortunate circumstances for joining the group but glad you are here nonetheless. Sorry to hear it.

Assuming you checked the oil level and it was relatively normal, then no major leaks.

But such a horrible sound and warning light to me sounds like oil pickup, filter, and/or pump clogged with the shavings from this job, and oil stopped getting where it needs to go.

I wouldn’t drive it any further.

Going by your pictures and description, have to say I’m surprised the shop sent you away for a few hundred miles.

I could only venture a guess that the shops cleaning out the debris was not wholly effective.

I’d have changed the oil again after just a few key cycles, idling only.

Reactions: DNA Dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the dealership just now called me and wants me to spend more money for them to "research" what the problem is. My father in law is a mechanic and said the same thing you did about the pickup screen being clogged. But how do I push back on the shop? How can I claim they didn't clean the oil pickup or pump the first time?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
If the truck had metal filings in it from some metal failure, the least they could have done was drop the oil pan and rinse everything out. Even then it would have been risky to button it up and drive it hundreds of miles without a second oil change to get residual filings out of the motor.

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
That is a massive failure. The tensioner breaking like that is insane!

I would definitely push back on this one, as they dropped the ball for sure in my opinion. Geesh!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The problem is I don't think the motor was cleaned of all the metal. ....
If the truck had metal filings in it from some metal failure, the least they could have done was drop the oil pan and rinse everything out. Even then it would have been risky to button it up and drive it hundreds of miles without a second oil change to get residual filings out of the motor.
They told me they did. However, I'm not sure I believe Them at this point. Just really no way to prove it.
That is a massive failure. The tensioner breaking like that is insane!

I would definitely push back on this one, as they dropped the ball for sure in my opinion. Geesh!!
I agree 100%. I have a call in to the general manager tomorrow. we will see what he says

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
So what happened with the GM?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So what happened with the GM?
I am going there today to inspect as they pull the oil pan off

so....after my trip to the dealership.. they did not wait on me to get there to drop the pan like we discussed. However since I have a lift kit they weren't able to fully drop the pan, but only get it lowered about 3 inches. They most likely tried to get this screen cleaned out before I got there but weren't quick enough.This is all I needed to see. These are the sprocket teeth from the tensioner that failed. When they told me they cleaned out all the metal in the motor I specifically asked them if they dropped the pan, (knowing well what was going to be in there). The oil that he drained from the pan today was full of metal as well, which tells me that they most likely didn't change the oil in the first place, only the filter. If they cleaned out the motor thoroughly, them why was there so much metal in the oil still? Service director gave me a loaner and said he was going to get with the service manager Monday when he gets back.

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Edge CS2, Kicker PowerStage
115 Posts
I have severe trust issues with dealership service and most shops… and stories like this don’t help.

Don’t relent, good sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Fordfan79

·
Registered
2015 Ford F150 XL 2.7 Supercab
213 Posts
It's both extremely frustrating and completely ridiculous that they considered what they did a "repair". Best of luck, and keep us posted!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts