F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prior to trading in my 2002 5.4 V8 SCREW 3.55, I recorded some rpm data to compare to my 2013 3.5 EB 3.73. Data is recorded below.

I wanted the 3.73 differential for towing and was hoping to keep the highway rpm's close to what I was used to with the older truck which is exactly what happened. I am on the cusp of my 1000 mile no tow break-in so I can't speak to how the engine tows yet in comparison to my older truck but I do not expect that I will be disappointed.

I like having the top three gears available for towing on the new truck. The 2002 would really scream when I had the OD locked out and had to downshift into 2nd gear to maintain highway speed on an uphill grade.

55 mph60 mph70 mph
2002 5.4L 3.55 - 4th (OD) gear142516001900
2002 5.4L 3.55 - 3rd gear205023002750
2013 3.5L EB 3.73 - 6th gear150016001875
2013 3.5L EB 3.73 - 5th gear180020002650
2013 3.5L EB 3.73 - 4th gear187523503200

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yup spot on! 5th n 6th are the OD gears but even towing over 8k the truck still finds 6th gear even with the tow/haul mode engaged. But that to me is not a issues as the motor does not struggle just chugs along.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yup spot on! 5th n 6th are the OD gears but even towing over 8k the truck still finds 6th gear even with the tow/haul mode engaged. But that to me is not a issues as the motor does not struggle just chugs along.
I can attest to to AK's results. I found the exact same thing. It is amazing for sure. Makes me giggle all the time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I always lock out 6th gear when towing the toy hauler. It gets the rpm closer to that torquey sweet spot the engine loves.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I always lock out 6th gear when towing the toy hauler. It gets the rpm closer to that torquey sweet spot the engine loves.
I've read that MPG's improve if running a higher RPM when towing (i.e. in "that torquey sweet spot"). Have you ever compared MPG's in 5th and 6th gear to see if that is true?

·
Registered
589 Posts
I haven't noticed a gain by locking out 6th compared to 5th other than it revs more and heats the tranny up by 5 degrees ( not a issue to me as it is still within normal limits.) Tranny is actually really smart for tq management so I let it do its thing and it always has the right gear for the right moment. I love the diesel like tq curve unlike big V8s that make you have to rev out to max out...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I haven't noticed any difference in mpg with 6th locked out. I usually just turn on tow haul mode when I am in a hilly area to help out the brakes. Most of the time when i tow I just leave it in drive since I am usually on flat ground.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With the 1000 mile break in behind me, I made a couple of 140 mile round trips pulling my boat this week. My boat weighs approximately 2500#. The truck does an absolutely awesome job with it. Can't wait to pull my camper in a few weeks.

The drive was 60 mph highway with a few hills. Truck got average 13.5 mpg for the two round trips. Other than to make some comparisons in fuel economy between 5th and 6th gears, I kept 6th locked out the most part. No good reason for locking it out other than I preferred having the engine run 2000 rpm and seems a bit less labored at the 60 mph highway speed. Would likely run in 6th on a freeway.

The computer did not recognize that I had a trailer. My boat does not have brakes and this may be the reason. Wondering if this is normal or should it register to disable the backup alarm and calculate oil life properly?

·
Registered
589 Posts
With the 1000 mile break in behind me, I made a couple of 140 mile round trips pulling my boat this week. My boat weighs approximately 2500#. The truck does an absolutely awesome job with it. Can't wait to pull my camper in a few weeks.

The drive was 60 mph highway with a few hills. Truck got average 13.5 mpg for the two round trips. Other than to make some comparisons in fuel economy between 5th and 6th gears, I kept 6th locked out the most part. No good reason for locking it out other than I preferred having the engine run 2000 rpm and seems a bit less labored at the 60 mph highway speed. Would likely run in 6th on a freeway.

The computer did not recognize that I had a trailer. My boat does not have brakes and this may be the reason. Wondering if this is normal or should it register to disable the backup alarm and calculate oil life properly?
If you don't connect into the 7pin it doesn't detect the trailer. Don't forget you can access thru you productivity screen the estimate distance to empty (DTE) switch it from normal to towing don't think it affects oil life though maybe...?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do use a 7 pin adapter to plug the boat in but it must not register. Now that the snow has finally melted i can back up to my camper and plug it in to make sure that the truck senses the trailer properly.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do use a 7 pin adapter to plug the boat in but it must not register. Now that the snow has finally melted i can back up to my camper and plug it in to make sure that the truck senses the trailer properly.
Plugged in my camper today and the truck did recognize the trailer. Must have to do with the plug in harness or brakes being recognized. Would be nice to have it recognize my boat for the purpose of oil life and mpg history. Any way to do this with a different adapter?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Plugged in my camper today and the truck did recognize the trailer. Must have to do with the plug in harness or brakes being recognized. Would be nice to have it recognize my boat for the purpose of oil life and mpg history. Any way to do this with a different adapter?
I believe it is the brakes that are recognized as the trailer sway is designed to utilize the trailer brakes injunction with the trucks brakes to control the sway if needed. I am not sure how you can get the system to recognize the boat if the trailer doesn't have brakes. On My Family 35' landing craft the trailer has brakes on the trailer and uses the 7 pin to connect but I wonder if there is a way to get the addition sensor installed on your boat trailer that makes the truck think the trailer has brakes and thus recognize it (not sure how safe that would be given if there was a emergency stop or sway going on the truck is braking and reducing power based on the assistance of the trailer, than again Ford prop figured that if you are using a trailer without brakes it’s not that heavy and the truck alone could handle it) ....

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I had a friend that had a wiring problem with his 2005 chevy. After running through all the wiring I found that his 7 pin adapter harness was missing the pins for his brake controller. After some more digging I found out that the adapter for a boat harness (7 pin round to 5 pin flat) does not have the ability to have break controller. The boat has a surge break which is hydraulically manipulated. Because of this there is no need for the trailer break controller to be used, so there is no wire for it. The surge brake setup in a boat has the clamping force controlled by how hard the boat is being pilled up into the back of the truck under hard breaking.

If you look into the male end of your adapter you will see that only a few of the slots have terminals in them. I understand that the trailer break controller is what turns on the ability for the truck to "see" that there is a trailer hooked up.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
In California (maybe everywhere) trailer brakes are required on anything with a gvw higher than 3500 lbs. I don't think it is necessary to lock out 6th gear with a load that light. I have pulled loads three times the weight you have and even on moderate hills the truck doesn't drop a gear. Also, I don't think the oil life meter changes when you tow. All my trailers have brakes and they all are sensed by the truck. Have never pulled a flat blade yet but I have one, ill try to hook up sometime soon to see if the truck knows its there.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Also, is your trailer wired as 6 way? Wondering why you have an adaptor to 7 way, seems like the trailer should be wired as a four way flat, and I thought there was a slot for that?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
The four flat is for trailers without surge brakes. The reason for the fifth pin is to activate the reversing lights. When the reversing lights are illuminated then the surge part of the breaking scheme is deactivated. If the surge never got deactivated then everytime you tried to back up you would compress the hydralic actuator and lock up the brakes. It would be hard to back down the boat ramp....HaHa.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also, is your trailer wired as 6 way? Wondering why you have an adaptor to 7 way, seems like the trailer should be wired as a four way flat, and I thought there was a slot for that?
My boat is a four flat and i have used round 7 way adapter because on my old truck, the 4 flat always got corroded. The round 7 way stays clean inside and always works. Tried pluggin the boat in both ways and truck does not recognize the trailer. Sounds like this is because the trailer has no brakes.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In California (maybe everywhere) trailer brakes are required on anything with a gvw higher than 3500 lbs. I don't think it is necessary to lock out 6th gear with a load that light. I have pulled loads three times the weight you have and even on moderate hills the truck doesn't drop a gear. Also, I don't think the oil life meter changes when you tow. All my trailers have brakes and they all are sensed by the truck. Have never pulled a flat blade yet but I have one, ill try to hook up sometime soon to see if the truck knows its there.
Truck seemed to have no problem in 6th gear and I agree that it is probably not necessary to lock it out. I noticed what I think was a little more exhaust noise or exhaust resonance in that gear versus 5th?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Being that I tow a travel trailer I have been looking for ways to increase fuel capacity. It seems there are plenty of options for diesel fuel but very few for gasoline. Does anyone have any information on auxilliary fuel tanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
8 Participants
graysailor
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing