F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member having just read some good material by others about using the 3.73 gearing over the 3.55. I'm trying to build a replacement for my 2016 3.5 EcoBoost that has the 3.55 gearing however couldn't successfully create the build on the app and the local dealer says I can only get that gearing with an 8 foot bed. Can't believe this to be accurate after all I've read in these chats. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Would really like the next eco boost to have the 3.73 gearing but a super cab 6.4 bed. The 2016 handles our 6,500 lb camper very well at 9+ mpg but all experienced haulers boast about the 3.73 gearing. Do I need to be that concerned? Our new camper will push more to 9,000 loaded. Maybe 3.73 not necessary.

·
Registered
26 Posts
With new 10 speed I don’t think the 3.73 gears are needed anymore for highest tow package but others will step in with their thoughts

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,004 Posts
Must have HDPP for 3.73 with the 3.5, 13th gen, F150. Crewcab 6.5' bed, Supercab and regular cab 8' bed.
2.7 payload package has 3.73. Not sure of the wheelbase requirement of 2.7 or 5.0. The base engine for HDPP is 5.0.

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
A Gen2 3.5 with a 10-speed and 3:55 gearing isn't going to suffer pulling its load.

These ain't our grandpappys trucks.

We DO have an HDPP 2018 in the family. And I admit that the shorter gear is a little noticeable. But far more subtle than you would suspect at typical use. (It was special ordered for towing RV nationwide)

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Agree’d, with the 10 speed the axle gears simply have significantly less influence on performance.

As arkansas said, 3.73’s are only available on the heavy duty payload package 3.5 trucks. You can get this in a regular cab/8’ bed, supercab/8’ bed and supercrew/6.5’ bed. Also only up to the XLT trim.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're all fantastic for weighing in. So we feel more confident with the 3.55 gearing having the 10 speeds which makes total sense. With that resolved my only concern now is tongue weight of about 1,250. I do understand that the potential upgrade camper weight full is about 11,000 which the eco boost can handle fine. I have heard and read that there are a couple of things that could be done to beef up the suspension to handle that tongue weight. My question is with the max tow package is this concern addressed adequately or do we need to consider a suspension change? We are looking at the XLT of road, max towing with black trim. That trim puts a 20" wheel on it. Really want to stay in the F150 eco if it can be done right. Thanks to all

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like the 2016 we have has about an 1850 lb tongue weight and is a 6 speed. So the 2020 or 21 would put us in a 10 speed 3.55. So just need to know if anything can be done to enhance the suspension.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Understand the 10 speed capacity but looks as it's quite available.

Didn't look at all combos but 3.5 is not available on a 122 wheelbase, RCSB. KM

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
If I was gonna buy new to tow 11k pounds, I woud get an F350. I know. I have wierd OCD that would cause me to skip 3/4 and go straight to 1 ton.
I just don't believe the aluminum F150 is enough ballast to oppose that much weight. JMO. No hate. Just know I am an old logger and been towing things a long time. Boomers rule !

Reactions: Mitchf150

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
Yea, I was fine until you started mentioning 5 digit loads.

It's not that the Ecoboost drivetrain doesn't have the grunt to pull it. Afterall, the 3.5EB could have a pretty good tug-of-war with the diesels of the 90's.

However, those diesels were under the hood of some heavy duty chassis. The mighty Ecoboost is sitting in a very light (relatively) chassis. When you approach 10,000lb bumper pulls, that tail is out of scale for the dog it's attached too.

It's just physics.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If I was gonna buy new to tow 11k pounds, I woud get an F350. I know. I have wierd OCD that would cause me to skip 3/4 and go straight to 1 ton.
I just don't believe the aluminum F150 is enough ballast to oppose that much weight. JMO. No hate. Just know I am an old logger and been towing things a long time. Boomers rule !
Ditto. What he said. ^^^

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I agree with Arkansas.... That's just more than I'd want to tow with even a HDPP F150... I like the new 7.3L GAS engine SuperDuty truck.. So, if I was going into that trailer weight, that's where I'd be looking..

I'm happy with my #7000 TT with my 13 F150 MaxTow, but would not really want to go any more.. I like the drive as much as the whole trip.

Mitch

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
7.3L gas superduty all day long. They dont even get bad gas mileage. TFL truck logged 15 mpg driving 1000 miles from OH to Denver. I imagine they were doing 70+ mph a good chunk of the way.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
And that TFL truck has 4.30 diffs !

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can’t tell for sure without seeing your door sticker but I think you would be hard pressed to stay within specs pulling 11k with an F150. By Ford’s towing guide my truck is rated for 11,800 lbs. But my payload is only 1774 lbs. My GCWR is 17100 lbs. So realistically I could only tow that much if it’s only me in the truck and nothing else in the cab or the bed.

Last time I went on the Ford website the highest Trim that you could get the HDPP was the XLT 301 level. And even then only under certain cab and bed length configurations

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
You COULD do what @Mr B did?

He has a magnificent Ecoboost towing beast and as he "upgraded" RV along the years, he finally hit a weight that made him REVERSE his rig!

He bought an RV that now tows his F150

That man loves his truck.

Reactions: Adirondack 63

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can’t tell for sure without seeing your door sticker but I think you would be hard pressed to stay within specs pulling 11k with an F150. By Ford’s towing guide my truck is rated for 11,800 lbs. But my payload is only 1774 lbs. My GCWR is 17100 lbs. So realistically I could only tow that much if it’s only me in the truck and nothing else in the cab or the bed.

Last time I went on the Ford website the highest Trim that you could get the HDPP was the XLT 301 level. And even then only under certain cab and bed length configurations
I'm going to try to find a super lite that can stay under 11,000 fully loaded with a tongue weight near 800. Mine is rated for over 1,800 tongue weight so that scenario would keep me in the F150. Want to tafe the 2016 F150 6 speed for a 2020 10 speed. Then I should be fine. Anything heavier for pull and payload pushes me into an F150 from all input I've seen. Love the eco boost so trying to stay in one but with a reasonable payload.

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
When you say "rated for 1800lbs of tongue weight", I'm sure you mean 1800lbs of Cargo Capacity?

Because YOU are part of the Cargo Capacity and you ain't sitting on the bumper hitch while you are driving. :)

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I'm going to try to find a super lite that can stay under 11,000 fully loaded with a tongue weight near 800. Mine is rated for over 1,800 tongue weight so that scenario would keep me in the F150. Want to tafe the 2016 F150 6 speed for a 2020 10 speed. Then I should be fine. Anything heavier for pull and payload pushes me into an F150 from all input I've seen. Love the eco boost so trying to stay in one but with a reasonable payload.
The highest tongue weight rating on any F150 is something like 1320 lbs.

Most travel trailers are ~12-13% tongue weight, so a 10000 lb trailer will be right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts