F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 2012 crew cab 4x4 going down to the exhaust shop Friday would like to have duals out each side. Wondering if three inch if plenty and does the magnaflow sound good? Don't want it real loud it is the Wife's! Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
868 Posts
most catbacks only use 3" inlets if they are coming out with dual outlet
on the other hand a few offer the 4" in and out if you go with SI/SO
their are a bunch of sound clips posted on here and the web and magnaflow is pretty popular

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I've seen many threads stating that 3.5 is the optimal size for these trucks. No experience though, just from what I've read. Many aftermarket exhaust are 4" so I think you'll be safe either way.

·
Registered
537 Posts
A number of the exhaust manufactures, and Gibson being one of them exit the muffler with dual 2 1/2" pipes. Gibson offers their cat back exhaust dual system to either dual exit to the rear, dual exit one to each rear quarter panel, or dual exit to the passenger side rear side exit. Any of these systems can be purchased for just under $330 with free shipping. From the sound lip I have heard they sound pretty nice out side and quite in the cab.

Matter of fact I think I will order one today.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did not plan on ordering it, my local shop will do 3 inch with magnaflow out each side with tips of my choose for 240$

·
Registered
537 Posts
Did not plan on ordering it, my local shop will do 3 inch with magnaflow out each side with tips of my choose for 240$
I understood that, I am just of the old school train of thought. If I don't care for the sound, want to trade the truck in, have any warranty concerns I can simply pull the new exhaust off by removing a few bolts and rehang the OEM Factory exhaust in about an hours time and no extra out of pocket cost other than the cost of a little laundry from dirty clothes.

One of the biggest concerns when changing the exhaust is cabin drone from the sound and location of the muffler. If you do have your local shop do the custom work, I would be sure to keep the old exhaust should you want to go back to stock.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I've seen many threads stating that 3.5 is the optimal size for these trucks. No experience though, just from what I've read. Many aftermarket exhaust are 4" so I think you'll be safe either way.
I agree, 3.5" single would be ideal. But I haven't found anyone selling one yet. A 3" single does not offer a serious improvement over the stock exhaust IMO, so I wouldn't bother. A friend installed a 4" single on a different vehicle and it is loud. But if I could only chose between the 3" single and 4" single, I would go with the 4" single.

Lastly, I wouldn't bother with a "dual exhaust" on these vehicles. Extra maintenance, impacts rear tire, and no performance gain over 4" single.

PS: Sorry for the picture. I was trying to post something else, but I put wrong picture and I couldn't figure out how to delete or change.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts