F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

181 - 200 of 221 Posts

·
Administrator
11,219 Posts
I'm not worried about any sort of inherent Ecoboost issue(s). I just know that really no engine is going to particularly appreciate that kind of operation. I maintain relatively short OCIs, and use quality oil. I'm sure it will be fine. I'm hoping for many many miles from this truck.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
525 Posts
My brother has a 2012 with 250k on it. Put front brakes on at 200k and rear brakes on at 230k. Other than that all original.

Reactions: AGPank

·
Registered
103 Posts
192k checking in just had the valves cleaned at the dealership.

Replaced 2 sets of front brakes, one MAP, two batteries, 2 sets of plugs, air filters yearly, a crap ton of oil, and about to do second tire change. She’s been better to me than I to her. And better than any vehicle I’ve owned for that matter.

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
192k checking in just had the valves cleaned at the dealership.

Replaced 2 sets of front brakes, one MAP, two batteries, 2 sets of plugs, air filters yearly, a crap ton of oil, and about to do second tire change. She’s been better to me than I to her. And better than any vehicle I’ve owned for that matter.
Why does it sound like almost everyone that reports a high mileage trouble free Ecoboost leaves lots of hints (between the lines) that the truck gets treated like a truck?

It's amazing.

I sure would love to know the real, legitimate, drive train engineering explanation of what benefits these motors so much.

There has to be tangible parameters behind it.

Load?
Heat?
Lubrication?

Obviously I am excluding quality control during manufacturing and assembly, because that's a factor the truck owner has no influence over. But there IS an ideal Ecoboost work environment. And whatever it is, it ain't babying it!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Wingerdinger

·
Registered
103 Posts
Why does it sound like almost everyone that reports a high mileage trouble free Ecoboost leaves lots of hints (between the lines) that the truck gets treated like a truck?

It's amazing.

I sure would love to know the real, legitimate, drive train engineering explanation of what benefits these motors so much.

Load?
Heat?
Lubrication?

Obviously I am excluding quality control during manufacturing and assembly, because that's a factor the truck owner has no influence over. But there IS an ideal Ecoboost work environment. And whatever it is, it ain't babying it!

I believe all motor are made to be run hard once in a while, but motors with turbos need it even more. And turbos with moving parts (Vgt, internal gates, etc) need to be spooled regular.

I believe Ford over engineered the hard parts and de-tuned these motors at least the first gens. Most motors are de-tuned from the factory which is why the tuner market has skyrocketed in the last 20 years, but the closer you run up against the limits the sooner something eats dirt.

·
Registered
105 Posts

It's amazing.

Load?
Heat?
Lubrication?

i know i am amazed by that also, i was always told the break in period (1st 1000 miles) you want to thrash it pretty good and it's what i done with all 3 of brand new trucks, the one is a '16 F-350 cab and chassis 6.7 it's has over 350k on her hauling storage sheds, the motor never been touched and I took that thing out in the 1st 1000 miles and let her have it

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Your saying he made it all the way to 200k/230k on original brakes?
I could see that. I went +130k on mine. With half the time it was stop and go traffic. And I’m not known for my gentle breaking technique.
I believe it too. Last I checked my brakes was at ~72k and it still looked like it had 1/2" of material left on the pads lol. I rarely drive in stop and go and utilize engine braking a lot.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I believe it too. Last I checked my brakes was at ~72k and it still looked like it had 1/2" of material left on the pads lol. I rarely drive in stop and go and utilize engine braking a lot.
I don’t quite understand it but this has been the lowest cost of maintenance vehicle I have ever owned. My first set of tires lasted 93k. And the second set could hit 100k neither set has hit the wear bars, but They are starting to slip a lot more on wet pavement , so I’m shopping for tires.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Your saying he made it all the way to 200k/230k on original brakes?
Yup sure did. other than that and tires and basic oil changes, its been a problem free truck.

·
Registered
578 Posts
72k miles and still brakes left? 200K on the front set ... WOW!

My fronts were gone at 50K, my rears at 75K. Granted it is in stop and go traffic ~1.5 hours a day, tows a trailer, has weight in the bed regularly and does steep grades relatively often.

The miles folks are getting out these ecoboosts are awesome and give me hope that mine will last a very long time. I am only at 85K in 3.5 years ...

·
Registered
525 Posts
My sig truck front brakes lasted to 100k and where toast, at 110k now and rear brakes are probably due. I tow alot and im hard on my truck, so im not suprised that mine is due. My old man/brothers truck....they drive like grandpas, one of them is a grandpa. haha

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm just a piker @92K. I had one warranty claim for one front wheel bearing. They replaced both. Third set of tires waiting in the garage and will go on soon so only 46K average on tires, all Goodyear ATS LT's "C". No brakes yet but figuring it will be soon. Anyone have recommendation for a service limit thickness for the pads? Rotors look good no pulsing but they'll be replaced also when the time comes.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Well boys, whew, I've got a ways to go. Unfortunately, my truck might outlive me. Probably will. My old engine has millions of miles on it... heart.

181 - 200 of 221 Posts