F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find a great set up for performance.
Anyone running a 305 50r20 and a 10" wheel? Is it better handling?

@[email protected] wanna help?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's not a ton of tires available in that size, so you may want to consider jumping up to a 305/55R20.

As for "performance" what are looking for? Off-road traction, better launch, highway traction and handling, or something else?
85 mph highway traction on a curvey highway. Wet and dry.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's not a ton of tires available in that size, so you may want to consider jumping up to a 305/55R20.

As for "performance" what are looking for? Off-road traction, better launch, highway traction and handling, or something else?
As much as I love the look of a big off road vehicle, (Baja big tire style btw.)
I'm just trying to be a realist.
I need on road handling to and from work 5 days a week. In the dry and in the rain.
I was trying to get a wider wheel and small negative offset with the theory of stability.

I moved to that tire size because it was the same diameter as my stock size. And again being a realist getting my gas mileage back.
Also, I do appreciate a good launch, get that back too.

I was looking at the wild peak and the Michelin defender. And pretty much mind made up on either of those 2. Leaning towards the defender just because of "reality vs cool"

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm partial to the Falken A/T3Ws myself. I'm running the 305/65R18 Wildpeaks on my truck right now, and I love the things (and that particular tire size, too).
What wheel Size and offset do you have?

And would you say it handles better?
And what is not as good with handling?

·
Vendor
1,496 Posts
What wheel Size and offset do you have?

And would you say it handles better?
And what is not as good with handling?
I'm currently running an 18x9" with a -12mm offset. Handling and general traction is better than the Toyo A/T IIs I had, and vastly improved over the mis-matched tires that the thing had on it when I bought it.

Their only two drawbacks are they're not the greatest on ice (but what is?) and their sidewall is a little bland. Everyone used to complain about the Baja ATZ's "Azteca" thing, but at least it was something.

I don't really have any complaints about these tires on the street.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm currently running an 18x9" with a -12mm offset. Handling and general traction is better than the Toyo A/T IIs I had, and vastly improved over the mis-matched tires that the thing had on it when I bought it.

Their only two drawbacks are they're not the greatest on ice (but what is?) and their sidewall is a little bland. Everyone used to complain about the Baja ATZ's "Azteca" thing, but at least it was something.

I don't really have any complaints about these tires on the street.
I want to thank you for talking to me. I really appreciate it.
What I'm trying to achieve is something a little better on the road at 85 mph.
Highways here are not straight. St. Louis is an old city, and the highway twists and turns closer to the city. Traffic is running pretty good and I just don't want to lesson the controll of my vehicle.
I certainly saw a drop when I went from (on stock rim) 275/65/18 to 285/65/18 tires.
Even though these tires are better in the rain, the taller tire on a rim that it's technically too small for it, suffered some general handling loss. I was trying to get that back, and maybe more.
So the question is both wheels and tires. I'll look at that tire size you mentioned.
I only went to the 20's just to get more availability at that diameter.

·
Premium Member
6,511 Posts
Coletrain, have you done any suspension mods?

Cruising at 75-85 mph is when dampers and sways can make the truck FEEEEEL 1000% better. Puts a little go-cart in the DNA.

I switch between my truck and a heavily modified MX-5 (Miata). (And sometimes her truck. So both are 18 F150's with tall tires) You can imagine the contrast!

She does have Bilsteins, but everything else oem. My truck is Fox 2.5's and Hellwig sways front and rear.

It's AMAZING how different the trucks feel when we are interstating or cruising at high speed. Mine feels "tied down" and not floaty or numb. Honestly, the dampers and sways are worth every penny when I'm in that 75+ element.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Coletrain, have you done any suspension mods?

Cruising at 75-85 mph is when dampers and sways can make the truck FEEEEEL 1000% better. Puts a little go-cart in the DNA.

I switch between my truck and a heavily modified MX-5 (Miata). (And sometimes her truck. So both are 18 F150's with tall tires) You can imagine the contrast!

She does have Bilsteins, but everything else oem. My truck is Fox 2.5's and Hellwig sways front and rear.

It's AMAZING how different the trucks feel when we are interstating or cruising at high speed. Mine feels "tied down" and not floaty or numb. Honestly, the dampers and sways are worth every penny when I'm in that 75+ element.

This is fantastic feedback!

Tell me more.
I have a sway bar and love it! I want more of that. (rear)
I did put in some new... What are those called.. The rubber things that hold the swaybar... Up front. Helped a little there.

I was considering the bilstein, but worried the height would be counterproductive. Yes, I need more or better control at 75+ mph.

What do you mean "dampers?"

·
Premium Member
6,511 Posts
Dampers = shocks/struts.

Just to reiterate, her 18 has oem sway up front, no sway in the rear. Bilstein "dampers" front and rear. Level setting on the fronts

Everything about her truck feels and rides superior to OEM truck. I'd be completely satisfied if it weren't for MY 18

I have the Helwig sway front and rear. (the front Helwig is considerably more sway bar than oem) And I have Fox 2.5 "dampers" front and rear.

At 75mph, as improved as her truck is over oem, mine is absolutely superior to hers. It's not a subtle leap up. Truck is on rails for a truck. Even with those taller Load E KO2's mounted, there's some go-kart DNA in the steering wheel. I'm so spoiled by it!

Of course it took some co$t investment beyond what she spent on hers.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Dampers = shocks/struts.

Just to reiterate, her 18 has oem sway up front, no sway in the rear. Bilstein "dampers" front and rear. Level setting on the fronts

Everything about her truck feels and rides superior to OEM truck. I'd be completely satisfied if it weren't for MY 18

I have the Helwig sway front and rear. (the front Helwig is considerably more sway bar than oem) And I have Fox 2.5 "dampers" front and rear.

At 75mph, as improved as her truck is over oem, mine is absolutely superior to hers. It's not a subtle leap up. Truck is on rails for a truck. Even with those taller Load E KO2's mounted, there's some go-kart DNA in the steering wheel. I'm so spoiled by it!

Of course it took some co$t investment beyond what she spent on hers.

If you went off-road would the rear sway bar cause concerns with hanging up on tall rocks. Especially the rocks the rear diff drags across.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,511 Posts
If you went off-road would the rear sway bar cause concerns with hanging up on tall rocks. Especially the rocks the rear diff drags across.

If I was off road with ground clearance issues in the form of large rocks and/or the need for considerable articulation, then yes, those sways can get in the way.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I don't really go off road. As manly as I would like to think I am. But yes, the rear sway is under the axle and therefore lowers that clearance.
The front sway is a replacement, I understand, so no on that.

Your question is not a concern of mine, and since I already have a rear sway, I'm locked in there, and love it and not changing it.
Perhaps it is a concern of yours, so yes, swaybar is lower than axle. However, it's not lower than the pumpkin. So a uniform height rock (that really doesn't exist, of course) would not affect it.

Found this on Google for you. I have pics, but not sure where.

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
They are certainly more of a “street” tire, but you should consider the Nitto 420s.

I be honest, I’ve gone through 5-6 different wheel and tire combos. 17’s, 18’s, 20’s and all with different sizes of tires. I’m not sure that you’ll get much out of the wider wheel. IMO, you are better off with a lower profile tire and “stickier” tire.

I hope you find what you want!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They are certainly more of a “street” tire, but you should consider the Nitto 420s.

I be honest, I’ve gone through 5-6 different wheel and tire combos. 17’s, 18’s, 20’s and all with different sizes of tires. I’m not sure that you’ll get much out of the wider wheel. IMO, you are better off with a lower profile tire and “stickier” tire.

I hope you find what you want!

I'll take your advice.
What size wheel and tires were your favorite?

I know off road is cool, I'm just trying to be real. I drive more than 20,000 miles on the road, about 100 in snow and 5 miles off road.
Rain is my main enemy.

If you would like to expand on any wide wheels you had and that opinion, I'll take it.

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
If I was in your situation right now, I would be doing these wheels (choose your preferred design). They are light and strong.
Then wrap a set of Nitto 420's 305/50R20's around them. The Nittos are better in the rain and on the dry road than my KO2's and are at a great price-point. I can really push my Nittos on the twisty roads. Even lumbering around my 6000+lb truck, they keep things in check. It's far from a sports car, but miles in front of my truck with stockers. I can't remember if you upgraded the front sway bar, but I would recommend it. When I had the hellwig on the back and pushed it in the corners, it would want to "cock a leg".

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
Pick the right offset and I highly doubt you'll need to go to a 10" wheel. I've done 8" - 9.5", but nothing to directly contrast against 10" wide wheel.
Just a side note, I spent a fair amount of time in St. Louis. Lived in IL for a while and worked with the City on a hardware trial. I understand what you mean about curvy roads.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I was in your situation right now, I would be doing these wheels (choose your preferred design). They are light and strong.
Then wrap a set of Nitto 420's 305/50R20's around them. The Nittos are better in the rain and on the dry road than my KO2's and are at a great price-point. I can really push my Nittos on the twisty roads. Even lumbering around my 6000+lb truck, they keep things in check. It's far from a sports car, but miles in front of my truck with stockers. I can't remember if you upgraded the front sway bar, but I would recommend it. When I had the hellwig on the back and pushed it in the corners, it would want to "cock a leg".
Good advice!
Why are those wheels so affordable?

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
Good advice!
Why are those wheels so affordable?

I think they are relatively new to the market and trying to get in. Raptor guys have been beating on them and so far I haven’t seen anything but praises.

Really, only time will tell, but I like what I’m seeing with them so far and plan on giving them a shot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts