F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received my Flo-Pro 4" Catback setup today from Dales Superstore. Here's my opinion so far...

Install: SUPER easy. I have never removed or installed exhaust before. My biggest concern was I wanted to remove the stock exhaust intact (no chopping or cutting) just in case I had a problem with the new setup or I just didn't like it. I was working in my garage, alone, and without the benefit of experience or a lift. I figured out pretty quickly that the easiest way to remove the exhaust was to unbolt the hanger mounts from the frame rather than try to manipulate the hangers out of the mount. There is just enough clearance to get the back end of the exhaust up and over the rear axle. Within an hour I had the stock exhaust off the truck in one piece. That went so well I thought surely the worst was yet to come.

When I ordered this exhaust, I read that I may have to cut one section in order for it to fit the 145" wheel base truck. As it turns out, all I had to do was leave out one section and it fit perfectly for my truck (pretty excited about that as the only tool I have to cut a 4" pipe is a hack saw). I began piecing it together from front to back. Someone on this forum (don't remember who, but thank you) recommended not tightening anything completely until the whole system was assembled. That was good advice and no doubt saved me lots of time. Took me a little over an hour to have the new exhaust installed and tightened down. I couldn't have asked for an easier install. REALLY HAPPY!

Now is when the not so happy part starts. I quickly learned first hand what "drone" means. This exhaust is WAY louder than I thought it would be. The only reason I decided to upgrade the exhaust was strictly to improve the performance, not make it louder. I tow a travel trailer many times during the summer and I can only imagine how loud that will be. Not sure what to do now. I like the look of the exhaust, and I'm assuming it will perform as advertised...I just don't like the noise. Like so many ecoboost haters love to say..."it sounds like a rice burner!" I like a loud Harley or hot rod...not a loud V-6. Any guidance or suggestions would be very much appreciated. After spending nearly $400 on this setup, I'd rather not spend several hundred more if possible (wife wasn't exactly thrilled that I spent the $ to begin with!)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Not much you can do to reduce the noise/drone except maybe go with a different muffler. Which will defeat the purpose of the aftermarket set up which is to increase exhaust flow and reduce back pressure which results in more noise. Any hi flow muffler will be louder than stock. And your right a V6 with loud exhaust usually sounds like hot buttered ass!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
On every vehicle I have ever owned, I have put a different exhaust. I have fabricated my own, and I have bought name brands (Borla, Dynomax, Flowmaster, etc). When I first got my EcoBeast, there was a thought in the back of my mind about putting an exhaust on it. After I did a little research, and after enjoying the quiet it my new truck I have decided that on this truck the exhaust will remain stock. The truck has plenty of power stock to pull my heavy TT, so I am gonna just leave it alone. I am considering an intake down the road, but that will be in a few years. I have read that the 4 inch exhaust really adds to the power and if you want or need the power gains it is a trade off you will have to make. You were very smart to keep the stock exhaust, because you can cut your losses and sell the new exhaust and put the stock one back on.

Sorry it didn't work out the way you wanted!

SPPD

Reactions: Red whoosh

·
Registered
588 Posts
Sorry to hear it didn't pan out Bro! I am with SPPD in that you were smart to keep the original so maybe a course of action could be to sell the 4" and look at another brand or leave it stock. I was in the same boat thinking 4” was the best way when looking at Banks exhaust system but after I have listen and seen the results on the Stainless Works 3.5" makes and although it doesn't give you a hot rode or Harley sound it sounds good and doesn't have the drone. It also yields one of the highest gains of all the exhaust. I believe MAK performance has more information on the exhaust along with a test they did against all exhaust systems for the EcoBeast. I would recommend contain them about recommendations and what exhaust to go with... Hope it all works out for you. Keep us posted

Also there are other brands out there that are right on par with the Stainless Works set-up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know what you mean regarding noisy after market exhaust systems. I was concerned as well before I installed my Corsa cat-back... I will report that I am very pleased with the loudness and tone of it. It truly is not annoying. Our perceptions are our realities however. No drone with the system whatsoever, and the note is not offending under hi-load situations. Just my 2 cents.... Drive on!
Ed R

·
Registered
191 Posts
The big reason I am NOT considering an exhaust for my beast is the awful sound a V-6 makes with an aftermarket exhaust and the possibility of drone. Most old school guys like me like the V-8 sound, but hate the V-6 sound. To me the only thing worse than the sound of a V-6 with aftermarket exhaust is the sound of a loud diesel pick-up or a ricer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm starting to get used to the exhaust sound now. Haven't towed with it yet. That will be the big "deal breaker" on whether I keep it or not. I'm well past the age of thinking loud exhaust is cool.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm starting to get used to the exhaust sound now. Haven't towed with it yet. That will be the big "deal breaker" on whether I keep it or not. I'm well past the age of thinking loud exhaust is cool.
I can agree with you about the sound. my 4" heartthrob does have the drone for sure, but it doesn't sound like a ricer. The tone is way deeper. For me I don't find it annoying at all. I actaully had a guy stop at the store I was at On the side of the highway to tell me how good it sounded when I blew by him. This guy was at least 60,I thought he was going to give me the gears when he came over to me but all he wanted to do was ask me about the truck. he was quite impressed. I can't go back to a stock set up now, I'm hooked on the power increase! If you want to take your mind and ears off the sound get an afe intake then the sound of the turbos will take care of the rest.lol I do believe from what I've seen and read that AK is rite about some systems having less drone. I think one with a crossover style muffler system will elliminate the "bad" sound. I don't know about any sacrifice on performance on this style though. I do know my 4" made a huge difference on my trucks performance for sure. My system has a directional flow through muffler.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Received my Flo-Pro 4" Catback setup today from Dales Superstore. Here's my opinion so far...

Install: SUPER easy. I have never removed or installed exhaust before. My biggest concern was I wanted to remove the stock exhaust intact (no chopping or cutting) just in case I had a problem with the new setup or I just didn't like it. I was working in my garage, alone, and without the benefit of experience or a lift. I figured out pretty quickly that the easiest way to remove the exhaust was to unbolt the hanger mounts from the frame rather than try to manipulate the hangers out of the mount. There is just enough clearance to get the back end of the exhaust up and over the rear axle. Within an hour I had the stock exhaust off the truck in one piece. That went so well I thought surely the worst was yet to come.

When I ordered this exhaust, I read that I may have to cut one section in order for it to fit the 145" wheel base truck. As it turns out, all I had to do was leave out one section and it fit perfectly for my truck (pretty excited about that as the only tool I have to cut a 4" pipe is a hack saw). I began piecing it together from front to back. Someone on this forum (don't remember who, but thank you) recommended not tightening anything completely until the whole system was assembled. That was good advice and no doubt saved me lots of time. Took me a little over an hour to have the new exhaust installed and tightened down. I couldn't have asked for an easier install. REALLY HAPPY!

Now is when the not so happy part starts. I quickly learned first hand what "drone" means. This exhaust is WAY louder than I thought it would be. The only reason I decided to upgrade the exhaust was strictly to improve the performance, not make it louder. I tow a travel trailer many times during the summer and I can only imagine how loud that will be. Not sure what to do now. I like the look of the exhaust, and I'm assuming it will perform as advertised...I just don't like the noise. Like so many ecoboost haters love to say..."it sounds like a rice burner!" I like a loud Harley or hot rod...not a loud V-6. Any guidance or suggestions would be very much appreciated. After spending nearly $400 on this setup, I'd rather not spend several hundred more if possible (wife wasn't exactly thrilled that I spent the $ to begin with!)
Hey Brother I found this when shopping around on 5-star's tuning website and it might save your purchase and heartache 4 Inch Twister Resonator - 5 Star Tuning . It is designed to adjust the dBs of your exhaust and add back some backpressure to increase the low end TQ. Might be what you are looking for they have it in 4". 3.5" and 3" if there is anyone else out there hurting from the drone... plus it is only $93. Keep us posted hope this helps!

Reactions: m361

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Brother I found this when shopping around on 5-star's tuning website and it might save your purchase and heartache 4 Inch Twister Resonator - 5 Star Tuning . It is designed to adjust the dBs of your exhaust and add back some backpressure to increase the low end TQ. Might be what you are looking for they have it in 4". 3.5" and 3" if there is anyone else out there hurting from the drone... plus it is only $93. Keep us posted hope this helps!
Actually I contacted Flo-pro and the Twister is what they recommended. I'll probably get one soon...just can't find the stainless steel twister anywhere yet. Waiting on Flo-pro to respond with dealer info that carries it. Most only have the aluminum version.

On a side note, I decided I didn't like the plain steel exhaust pipe so I bought a slip on chrome tip. Definitely looks a lot better.

Reactions: AK-KingBoost

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
You beat me to it!i was going to say get the resonator... Never had it but hen I spoke to 5* they said they would never own an exhaust without the resonator on an ecoboost.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Installed the twister resonator this evening and OH WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Sounds much better, and I can feel the increase in low end torque that I lost when I added the 4" system. Very Happy with it. $346 for the Stainless exhaust and $88 for the twister resonator. Good investment.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sound clips? Congrats!
In hindsight I should have made a quick video before I installed the resonator, but I was in a hurry to get it installed before I had to pick up the kids from school. I read somewhere that the Twister reduces the sound by 30% and I would agree with that, if not a little more than 30%. I'm not one that likes the sound of a loud V-6, so I am very happy with this setup now.

·
Registered
588 Posts
That's awesome news bro!!! Man always a good deal when it comes together! You should post a video clip and add it to the exhaust data thread.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yea, I would like to see what the exhaust sounds like with the twister added on. I would like a little meaner sounding truck, but I don't care for it to drone on inside the cab. Functionality and ability is what I am interested in.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea, I would like to see what the exhaust sounds like with the twister added on. I would like a little meaner sounding truck, but I don't care for it to drone on inside the cab. Functionality and ability is what I am interested in.
I think it has a little bit meaner sound than stock, but not the loud V-6 noise we often hear on those little four bangers with huge exhaust tips. I did make a quick video using my iphone. Not sure how accurate it will sound on a computer, but at least you get an idea...

Reactions: AK-KingBoost

·
Registered
588 Posts
Actually doesn't sound so bad and I agree in that it gives it a throaty tone

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Sounds good!

SPPD

1 - 20 of 25 Posts