F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Vendor
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
UPDATE: All the dyno data provided in the first post were done on my very first tune from MPT. I datalogged, measured, used a standalone AFR guage as well, it was dead on. The torque numbers were done using 3 degrees of total timing at 2200rpm and climbing to 9 degrees total timing around the torque peak before adding more timing past the torque peak. Extremely conservative.

Working with MPT we agreed to allow a touch more timing down low, and about .5lbs more boost up top. Total boost is now high 18's vs low 18s peak. I am running a stock thermostat and the fans were set to 170 (conservative on purpose, keep the engine cool during testing). They are now going back to the stock settings. That frees up power much of the time when they are not on max. We saw an almost 9hp swing from pull to pull between no fans vs max fan speed.

New datalogs look great, and small improvements can be felt down low, and up top. I predict 5-10ft/lbs down low and 5-10hp up top. The plan is to dyno again but only because we want to test our new exhaust system. We will of course baseline on the same dyno, and use the old tune versus new tune just to compare, since we are there.

NEXT PROJECT: Ported heads!!

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Awesome news

·
Registered
2,787 Posts

·
Vendor
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm thinking I'm gonna leave nothing on the table: full port and polish including the combustion chambers, race valve job, slightly upgraded springs, stock cams. Since we last talked I've confirmed the Raptor sports bigger ports and still wears 51 mm Turbos yet pushes 450hp crank. It seems to me Ford purposely constricted the regular F150 and I want to get around that. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Vendor
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
And yes it will go on a stock bottom end. I think the parasitic pumping losses getting air through the heads and I'll gain some headroom by the full port. Should get me closer to 500rwhp on the stock short block.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Jerry, analyzing your two dyno graphs in your 450RWHP Build is very interesting.

While your peak RWTQ is only a bit higher from Graph 1 to Graph 2; the RWTQ from 3,500 to 5,000 is noticeably higher (about 40 LB/FT higher through-out). And at 6,000 rpm your RWTQ is 400 lb/ft in Graph 2 vs only 370 in Graph 1. This results in your RWHP peaking around 5,200 rpm around 450 RWHP and then remaining there until 6,000 rpm in Graph 2 vs peaking around 435 RWHP in Graph 2 and then falling off to under 425RWHP at 6,000 rpm.

This is a case where the peak TQ/HP numbers sometimes don't tell the full story.

I look to further builds and dyno runs.

·
Vendor
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Grim, yes good observations, the lack of a normal trend means you have to start finding out if there is a problem or an impediment as you well know. I have to get a good picture of it but the stock muffler is not only a 25+rwhp constriction above 3500rpm, it's starting to "burst" at the seams and spread open.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
How is the shop truck doing?

·
Vendor
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
How is the shop truck doing?
I wasn't going to post up but.. since you asked! :)

We are up to 8000 miles of hard street driving and testing lots of exhaust systems on it. Went to the dyno on Thursday, did 27 pulls on it. Same dyno, different day, different downpipes. We find it takes 2-3 pulls just to heat it up enough and get the power numbers repeatable pull to pull. Everything we post is after the truck is fully heatsoaked and stable. The glory pulls show 462rwhp.

Our new exhaust system beats a 3" straight through system, see the attached. It is also quieter ;) Can't share much about it yet, we are working with manufacturing candidates to source it now. We are also testing it against a dump right after the downpipes. We made more torque everywhere below 4000, above 5000 RPM the dump made 2-3 hp more than our system.. with obviously a massive, obnoxious and undriveable sound.

Tifosi vs 3in.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Sweet

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Folks looking at these numbers vs 5 stars 485hp need to be aware that mpt is purposely under tuning the gts for engine longevity.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Folks looking at these numbers vs 5 stars 485hp need to be aware that mpt is purposely under tuning the gts for engine longevity.
To clarify for folks that may not be aware, MPT is tuning this truck with the GT turbos.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Our new exhaust system beats a 3" straight through system, see the attached. It is also quieter ;) Can't share much about it yet we are working with manufacturing candidates to source it now. We also testing it against a dump right after the downpipes. We made more torque everywhere below 4000 and above 5K RPM the dump made 2-3 hp more than our system.. with obviously a massive obnoxious undriveable sound.
I need to hear it.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I need to start having more fun, and stop working. I'm getting jelly
Less work, more fun right after my build is done.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts