F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,190 Posts
Gas is not the limitation, the motor is not strong enough to handle more Hp that these turbos can make on 93 octane pump gas.

·
Vendor
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Are these numbers on pump gas 93 octane? No idea what it would do on a e30 mix?
Yes pump gas, no meth, no water injection, and those are SAE dyno numbers after heat soak. I've never tried e30. More timing isn't the issue, stock long block is the limitation. I'm at <12 degrees of total timing for reference. Going to try and reduce parasitic pumping losses to make more power next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Jerry, it was probably earlier in the post, but what boost numbers are you pushing with the GT turbos?

Also, how many miles since the upgrade? If you are using it as a "daily driver", have you noticed any driveability issues/changes compared to the stock turbos (increased/decreased lag, responsiveness?). Or does it just drive like "stock"?

Also, what rpms are you using as your shift points?

I'm just curious what I can expect when I get mine installed next winter.

·
Vendor
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Jerry, it was probably earlier in the post, but what boost numbers are you pushing with the GT turbos?

Also, how many miles since the upgrade? If you are using it as a "daily driver", have you noticed any driveability issues/changes compared to the stock turbos (increased/decreased lag, responsiveness?). Or does it just drive like "stock"?

Also, what rpms are you using as your shift points?

I'm just curious what I can expect when I get mine installed next winter.
Total boost is high 18's peak. I do drive it daily and I drive it hard. If someone is going to break one of these it's me. The tune has been very safe. Total mileage is probably upto 13K. These turbos spool maybe 200rpm later and a few tenths of a second slower than stock. It is very responsive. The throttle does a lot more then stock so being careful with the right pedal when you start off from a light is important otherwise you jackrabbit start and launch into every intersection ;) Nothing the right foot can't address. 6000rpm is the new shift point. I really should take it to the 1/4 drag strip and play with shift RPM, I'm sure I could find the new optimal ET but sadly I don't know what it is yet. My wife drives it no issue if that tells you anything. She has never preferred any of my trucks but this one has presented no extra challenges.

By the way, the truck is now making more power :) I can't post up yet, was at the dyno this morning and I have to review logs and graphs etc, so give me a week or two ;) The butt-meter detected improvements after the most recent modification, and the dyno confirmed it today.

Other thing to note: the tune is richer during the hot summer months: a little more timing and .5-.7 richer AFR, all in the name of keeping it nice and cool. I'm working with Mike to see if we can address that, as my numbers are still very safe. Worst case I put an EGT pyro in the manifold just to get the extra instrumentation to make sure we creep up on the optimal setup. I towed a 7K lb enclosed race car hauler through Texas Hill Country when it was 95 degrees out on this tune safely as well. I didn't have the SCTX4 to play with the tow tune, but that too will get the stress test. The setup continues to impress, I don't regret a single aspect of it!

JK

·
Vendor
7,099 Posts
Total boost is high 18's peak. I do drive it daily and I drive it hard. If someone is going to break one of these it's me. The tune has been very safe. Total mileage is probably upto 13K. These turbos spool maybe 200rpm later and a few tenths of a second slower than stock. It is very responsive. The throttle does a lot more then stock so being careful with the right pedal when you start off from a light is important otherwise you jackrabbit start and launch into every intersection ;) Nothing the right foot can't address. 6000rpm is the new shift point. I really should take it to the 1/4 drag strip and play with shift RPM, I'm sure I could find the new optimal ET but sadly I don't know what it is yet. My wife drives it no issue if that tells you anything. She has never preferred any of my trucks but this one has presented no extra challenges.

By the way, the truck is now making more power :) I can't post up yet, was at the dyno this morning and I have to review logs and graphs etc, so give me a week or two ;) The butt-meter detected improvements after the most recent modification, and the dyno confirmed it today.

Other thing to note: the tune is richer during the hot summer months: a little more timing and .5-.7 richer AFR, all in the name of keeping it nice and cool. I'm working with Mike to see if we can address that, as my numbers are still very safe. Worst case I put an EGT pyro in the manifold just to get the extra instrumentation to make sure we creep up on the optimal setup. I towed a 7K lb enclosed race car hauler through Texas Hill Country when it was 95 degrees out on this tune safely as well. I didn't have the SCTX4 to play with the tow tune, but that too will get the stress test. The setup continues to impress, I don't regret a single aspect of it!

JK
1-2 weeks! Unacceptable Jerry. Patiently waiting.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
1-2 weeks! Unacceptable Jerry. Patiently waiting.
There is just no pleasing you, Mr. Brown.

Jerry, thank you for the update. I too am patiently waiting for more info. I know that as soon as one of us install the parts - the others will (I am shooting for the winter .... unless superseded by ex-wife). There are now a couple of us "Lopezing" our turbos & manifolds in my general area.

PS: Lopezing - defined as owning a bunch of parts but not yet installed. Similar Mr Lopez aka Raiderfan.

·
Vendor
7,099 Posts
There is just no pleasing you, Mr. Brown.

Jerry, thank you for the update. I too am patiently waiting for more info. I know that as soon as one of us install the parts - the others will (I am shooting for the winter .... unless superseded by ex-wife). There are now a couple of us "Lopezing" our turbos & manifolds in my general area.

PS: Lopezing - defined as owning a bunch of parts but not yet installed. Similar Mr Lopez aka Raiderfan.
I kid I kid. Jerry is as solid a guy and shop as they come. I'd be happy to have him work on my own truck, and I recommend them highly to anyone in their area.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I kid I kid. Jerry is as solid a guy and shop as they come. I'd be happy to have him work on my own truck, and I recommend them highly to anyone in their area.
I wish I lived in Jerry's (and yours) area. I wish my Marital Issues were resolved - it is really putting a kibosh into my build plans.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Folks looking at these numbers vs 5 stars 485hp need to be aware that mpt is purposely under tuning the gts for engine longevity.
So are you saying not to use 5star ? As it's not safe ? Because from everything I have seen it seems to be MPT that's pushing the huge numbers close to 600Rwhp before adding the nos shot ... aren't they claiming mid to big 500rwhp with just meth ? With all this head porting & porting the manifolds ? Also why is everyone wasnting time trying to port steal manifolds when they could just get them extrude Honed ,plus they coat them with a high temp coating that's great for turbos & blowers .
anyway I am looking into getting turbos but I've always worried about lean fuel issues..
sure would be great if the raptor fuel setup was available for sale & would just bolt up ...
Also so who is using which turbos & which are the best choice if still using ford cast manifolds ?
What are all the turbo choices,thanks I know it's a lot of questions..
what about injection as I heard before no aftermarket injectors would work with the stock even .

·
Premium Member
3,190 Posts
So are you saying not to use 5star ? As it's not safe ? Because from everything I have seen it seems to be MPT that's pushing the huge numbers close to 600Rwhp before adding the nos shot ... aren't they claiming mid to big 500rwhp with just meth ? With all this head porting & porting the manifolds ? Also why is everyone wasnting time trying to port steal manifolds when they could just get them extrude Honed ,plus they coat them with a high temp coating that's great for turbos & blowers .
anyway I am looking into getting turbos but I've always worried about lean fuel issues..
sure would be great if the raptor fuel setup was available for sale & would just bolt up ...
Also so who is using which turbos & which are the best choice if still using ford cast manifolds ?
what about injection as I heard before no aftermarket injectors would work with the stock even .
I'm not sure I know where to start...

MPT's company truck is not using GT's, the reason they use nos is to help the cavelli's spool and at free HP they dont have to work for.

MPT is not expecting their motor to live long as it is a race truck.

raptor fuel will never fit GEN 1 ecoboost.

EFR's are the best, GT's are the best stock replacement.

injection ? lean ? not sure I know what your talking about.

5stars set up is the borla turbo kit (which is the GT's and their exhaust but dont tell anyone) ie not even the same turbos as MPT's race truck.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Are we implying Ford GT turbos ? As I haven't found any where on the ford website that says they are for sale ,besides the turbo truck upgrade they sell ..
or are you referring to GT as in like Gt15 Garrett products turbos ?
Thks

·
Premium Member
3,190 Posts
Full race Gt turbos (full race stock replacement) it is an oem turbo.

·
Vendor
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Respectfully, some of your questions belong in the general section where everyone here participates. Heck, you are welcome to post them in our Tifosi Performance forum as a new thread as well! This thread is the one location on the forum that Tifosi Performance get's to talk about what we believe works as an OEM package for the F150 Ecoboost community.

Other comments:

5Star is a great company, I've spent my own money with them, and I know the caliber of their work.

Hand ported Manifolds: Tifosi Performance, my company, this section you are posting in, offers those to this community. Compare the price of Extrude Hone porting to what we offer and you'll see why it is a service to the community.

The GT Turbos (engineered by BW for Ford, never installed on a production vehicle) are a great turbo for our truck. We sell them and offer a package to get you the most you can get out of the stock fuel system. Our setup allows you to NOT be a pioneer. Nothing wrong with being a pioneer, unless you do not acknowledge and accept the risk of being a pioneer. Other's on this board ARE pioneers. That means they are experimenting, failing, experimenting more, identifying what works, making parts, buying parts, etc all to extend the capabilities of this platform beyond what the OEM package can do.. you get it.

In short, without being a pioneer, I don't know of a better package today for the truck than what we have developed here in this section, and demonstrate in this thread. I believe we will get the truck to 500RWHP on the stock fuel system. We will do that through ported heads. Everything else will stay the same. That will free up parasitic pumping losses that consume power and fuel. By freeing up the restriction, I believe the extra fuel can be spent to spin the rear wheels and get us to 500rwhp safely.. If the bottom end goes I'll let you guys know!

AboostedF150: you are in Houston, my shop is in Fort Worth. Give me a call and I'm glad to talk you through some of your questions: 817-755-0170. The first thing I will do is gauge your appetite for risk, and what you expect out of the truck, that will determine what I'd recommend for you.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
If you read some of Jerry's earlier posts, he states that he is currently only running 18 psi; which is fairly modest IMO. With my Tune on the stock turbos (at this time), I peak at 22 psi, then settle down around 19-20 psi. I have been driving like this for 3 years with no problems. But I am sure there are people who will say this is too much for the stock turbos. But then it also depends on the Spark Advance you run too.

I'm sure Jerry & MPT could make more HP if they wanted to raise the PSI, but I they are trying to build a combo that works both reliably and is repeatable for other customers.

EDIT: Did not see Jerry's comment before I posted mine. But it looks like my comment is pretty much in agreement and confirmed by Jerry. Else I would just erase it.

PS: I agree with Jerry, I would not want to be the "beta truck". I'll leave that to others. But once a good working combo is developed, then I will go that route ... and I have. Just haven't installed my parts yet.

PPS: I also have selected Jerry's Exhaust Manifolds as the stock manifolds have a tendency to warp. I am hoping the ceramic coating helps reduce the tendency for the manifolds to warp and an improvement over the stock manifolds.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Yeah I wasn't really trying to do anything but ask questions or promote anything on your page..I didn't even really realize this thread was for Solely discussing your package if that's what your meaning ...
i just find it normally best to ask questions on a thread about its subject & then ask the differences between it and others before trying to make a Decision ...
i trusted LET back on 2015 & had lots of problems which still haven't been fixed ,so I am being ex careful this time around especially since been disabled I can no longer do my own Installs or builds. which I was used to prior to 05 I built my own engine even etc.::
who ever I choose to send my truck to,is also going to have to be able to fix their screw ups as well..
THKS..
i do understand that I guess asking to compair ur package to others could shine a light on other business & for that i again apologize..
but maybe you can PM me the difference between the GT turbo u & many others are selling ,cavills & others ...
thks or in a thread if I start it as I have used the search & haven't found a current thread that's detailed enough ..

Thks again..

·
Vendor
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Yeah I wasn't really trying to do anything but ask questions or promote anything on your page..I didn't even really realize this thread was for Solely discussing your package if that's what your meaning ...
i just find it normally best to ask questions on a thread about its subject & then ask the differences between it and others before trying to make a Decision ...
i trusted LET back on 2015 & had lots of problems which still haven't been fixed ,so I am being ex careful this time around especially since been disabled I can no longer do my own Installs or builds. which I was used to prior to 05 I built my own engine even etc.::
who ever I choose to send my truck to,is also going to have to be able to fix their screw ups as well..
THKS..
i do understand that I guess asking to compair ur package to others could shine a light on other business & for that i again apologize..
but maybe you can PM me the difference between the GT turbo u & many others are selling ,cavills & others ...
thks or in a thread if I start it as I have used the search & haven't found a current thread that's detailed enough ..

Thks again..
All good, I'll send you a brief PM but a phonecall might be best, I'm time constrained and I talk faster than I type.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
... I trusted LET back on 2015 & had lots of problems which still haven't been fixed ...
Sadly, a lot of people had similar results with LET. That is why he isn't around anymore.

Based on what I read about Tifosi, it appears Jerry has been around a lot longer than LET and is more proven. Hopefully Jerry can elaborate more about Tifosi. I would find it interesting.

For myself, I can attest that I have ordered a number of parts from Jerry to-date and I am about to order some more. I have nothing but praise to say about Jerry and his service - I highly recommend him and give Jerry a 5 Star rating. He's the real deal IMO.

I have no reservations about using Jerry's Services ... I just wish he was closer to where I live.

If Jerry were closer to me, I would very much use his Shop's services. Unfortunately, the distance makes most things difficult for me. BUT, when my engine needs replacing (and if I still want to keep my truck), I will probably arrange for a "Ryan Brown 3.5 TT BW EFR Special" to be built for me & have it shipped to Jerry. Then I will try to make the trip down to Ft Worth for installation and tuning.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts