F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2016 2.7l with a 3.55 rear locker. Been going back and forth between two suspension choices:

1) 2-2.5" performance coilover 2-2.5" (like fox or icon)
2) 4" premium coilover lift (brand tbd)

It's my daily that also goes overlanding on the weekend, and sometimes some desert runs (sub-40mph). The clearance of a 4" might be great for deeper overlanding but a 2.5 might be good enough and save some coin if changing the gear would be required. Anyone have these setups with a 3.55?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I’m sure someone else will chime in here as there are a ton of us lifted here, and I’m unusual as I’m only rwd in this truck. But setup is icon at 2” lift up front and stock rear. On 34” at2’s. I need to go higher as I scrub fender Liner going forward and flat out rub crash bars in reverse, which I will not cut/trim out. Wheels are a 17x8.5” 0 offset method nv.

IMO if you’re going to do a 4” go with a 35” tire, but I’m strange about filling up that wheel well, that’s why I rub now lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Also I’m a 3.5 with the 10 speed so I can’t comment on gearing for you. I’ll say on my truck I would go to a 37 without worrying about gearing it. I tow heavy and didn’t notice much if anything at all power or shifting wise, speedo was just off 3mph.

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
Leveled using Fox 2.5 coilovers. (about a 2" lift to get level) and Icon UCA's.

I'm running almost 35" (34.8) on OEM King Ranch 20's. (required ~18mm of spacer to clear Brembo calipers)

No rubbing of any kind.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also I’m a 3.5 with the 10 speed so I can’t comment on gearing for you. I’ll say on my truck I would go to a 37 without worrying about gearing it. I tow heavy and didn’t notice much if anything at all power or shifting wise, speedo was just off 3mph.

I was going to ask, thanks for mentioning it. And thanks for your input. Truck looks great but yeah they look a bit stuffed in there. How are the icons offroading?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Leveled using Fox 2.5 coilovers. (about a 2" lift to get level) and Icon UCA's.

I'm running almost 35" (34.8) on OEM King Ranch 20's. (required ~18mm of spacer to clear Brembo calipers)

No rubbing of any kind.

Nice setup. Do the icon UCAs bolt up to the stock knuckles? And do you know what gearing you have?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I was going to ask, thanks for mentioning it. And thanks for your input. Truck looks great but yeah they look a bit stuffed in there. How are the icons offroading?
Icons are definitely more composed both on and off road, they did firm up ride a bit which I don’t mind at all. I mainly cruise fire roads with the wife and kids so I don’t really push them much I’m sure, but It’s also not a pavement princess. Overall very happy with the setup. I will mention at full dropout coil does rub UCA on my truck. So that may be something to look into for you.

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
Nice setup. Do the icon UCAs bolt up to the stock knuckles? And do you know what gearing you have?
The Icon uca has some kind of increased articulating joint.
This truck is 3:31 10-speed. So it's a little taller coming out of the hole than the fellas that are chasing low et's.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2011 4WD with factory 3.55 gearing. I put Halo adjustable coils on the front and they’re set at about 2.5”, SPC adjustable UCAs, and then a 2.5” (about 1” higher than factory) rear block with Halo rear shocks to accommodate the lift. I have almost 35” (34.8”) Cooper Discover STT Pros and my wheels have a -12mm offset. I had to trim a little of the front valance and had to grind away a little of the inside of the fender closest to the door away to keep from rubbing. My truck seems to have just as much power as it always has, the biggest change was, of course, the decreased fuel mileage. My average is about 11.8mpg. It still has the capability of pulling a bass boat or towing a side by side with an ATV in the bed without any struggle.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
I have 4" BDS Going Rancho RS7000MTs up front in a week, been rocking stock coil overs with the 4" spacer for the last 5 years. Fox 2.0 rears. 3.31s gearing, 34x 11.5 R18 BFG KO2s (305/65R18). I still get on average 15-16 MPG.

Since it's your daily you need to find compromise on your fuel mileage if you care about that.

Over landing only you don't need a giant heavy mud tire, so stick with a good light AT.

In my opinion Icons/ Kings/ Fox 2.5s are overkill for what you need.

No matter what just remember, Bigger tires, more lift, more offset= more wear on all front suspension/steering components. My truck only has 84K miles and the front upper control arm ball joints are toast, lower ball joints are toast and stock coil overs are toast. And I don't off road too much, id say my truck is 95/5 on to off road.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Icon uca has some kind of increased articulating joint.
This truck is 3:31 10-speed. So it's a little taller coming out of the hole than the fellas that are chasing low et's.

That looks really clean. I'm tempted to go down the road of a coil + UCA. Thanks for your input.

I have a 2011 4WD with factory 3.55 gearing. I put Halo adjustable coils on the front and they’re set at about 2.5”, SPC adjustable UCAs, and then a 2.5” (about 1” higher than factory) rear block with Halo rear shocks to accommodate the lift. I have almost 35” (34.8”) Cooper Discover STT Pros and my wheels have a -12mm offset. I had to trim a little of the front valance and had to grind away a little of the inside of the fender closest to the door away to keep from rubbing. My truck seems to have just as much power as it always has, the biggest change was, of course, the decreased fuel mileage. My average is about 11.8mpg. It still has the capability of pulling a bass boat or towing a side by side with an ATV in the bed without any struggle.
Gnarly setup. Sucks about the mileage but I assume you have a v8. And I assume you have the 6spd so seems like it's been holding up fine. Thank you kindly for sharing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have 4" BDS Going Rancho RS7000MTs up front in a week, been rocking stock coil overs with the 4" spacer for the last 5 years. Fox 2.0 rears. 3.31s gearing, 34x 11.5 R18 BFG KO2s (305/65R18). I still get on average 15-16 MPG.

Since it's your daily you need to find compromise on your fuel mileage if you care about that.

Over landing only you don't need a giant heavy mud tire, so stick with a good light AT.

In my opinion Icons/ Kings/ Fox 2.5s are overkill for what you need.

No matter what just remember, Bigger tires, more lift, more offset= more wear on all front suspension/steering components. My truck only has 84K miles and the front upper control arm ball joints are toast, lower ball joints are toast and stock coil overs are toast. And I don't off road too much, id say my truck is 95/5 on to off road.
Lots of info. Thanks for your input.

I'm not super concerned with mileage. I was leveled with heavy LT's on my previous truck (3.31, daily, 2wd, saw no action) and it wasn't horrible but I could feel the weight. That said this truck has a different purpose (overlanding, some desert and fire road fun) so I'd like to prep it for those scenarios. Good advice on the light AT, I concur.

I'm a little confused though. You say icons/kings/fox is overkill, now I'm open to hearing that and am interested in your reasoning, but then you say your stock parts are all blown out and you barely offroad. I get the general point that going "bigger" causes greater wear on suspension, but wouldn't that make the overkill not so overkill? Maybe they were separate points you were making. Let me know, thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
I actually understand the "overkill" because it's probably a $budget statement. And it's true that for the small percentage of the time my truck is off-roading, the Fox2.5's aren't really getting used in the way they were meant.

But, that's not the whole story. Since they have adjustable damping, high speed and low speed compression, they can quickly be adjusted for the circumstance. It's pretty cool to spend the 3 minutes it takes to soften things up for an all interstate luxury ride to see dad 200 miles away. And then later dial them tighter and put the street tires on and scoot the backroads aggressively.

It's probably because adjusting suspension on motorcycles has been a part of riding most of my life. Although on a bike it's far more influential.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I actually understand the "overkill" because it's probably a $budget statement. And it's true that for the small percentage of the time my truck is off-roading, the Fox2.5's aren't really getting used in the way they were meant.

But, that's not the whole story. Since they have adjustable damping, high speed and low speed compression, they can quickly be adjusted for the circumstance. It's pretty cool to spend the 3 minutes it takes to soften things up for an all interstate luxury ride to see dad 200 miles away. And then later dial them tighter and put the street tires on and scoot the backroads aggressively.

It's probably because adjusting suspension on motorcycles has been a part of riding most of my life. Although on a bike it's far more influential.

I hear you but you're also kind of just selling them on me. Easily adjustable ride stiffness and "more than one would need" offroad doesnt sound like overkill as much it does a functional, robust design.

Budget is one thing but bang-for-buck is another. I guess I feel anything less than a true coilover (i.e. just 5100s or a puck) is just silly if you want to go bashing through desert roads. I would've done that 10 years ago. I just expect more now. I don't like when things fail becuase I skimped.

I also ride. Sport and Enduro. I get it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just 5100 is fine on a street truck and much more composed than factory shocks. Anything more than the dirt road to unload a bike and you will appreciate a true coil over setup. If I were to to it again I’d go with an 18” wheel to gain more clearance for ucas and evacuating brake heat more efficiently while towing. I’ve been down every “road” with my truck. Stock with a puck to 5100s to the icon. Go that route first if you have the means and you’ll be more than happy, fox setup performs very similar in the setup I’ve been in personally.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Lots of info. Thanks for your input.

I'm not super concerned with mileage. I was leveled with heavy LT's on my previous truck (3.31, daily, 2wd, saw no action) and it wasn't horrible but I could feel the weight. That said this truck has a different purpose (overlanding, some desert and fire road fun) so I'd like to prep it for those scenarios. Good advice on the light AT, I concur.

I'm a little confused though. You say icons/kings/fox is overkill, now I'm open to hearing that and am interested in your reasoning, but then you say your stock parts are all blown out and you barely offroad. I get the general point that going "bigger" causes greater wear on suspension, but wouldn't that make the overkill not so overkill? Maybe they were separate points you were making. Let me know, thanks!
Well as far as the ball joints wearing out. It is what it is, they are all stock parts. And seeming most guys get rid of the stock coil overs right away for bilsteins. I decided to see just how long mine would last.

80% of the guys on here have street queens and tow rigs, me included.

You want to know real offroad go check out the raptor forums.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m sure someone else will chime in here as there are a ton of us lifted here, and I’m unusual as I’m only rwd in this truck. But setup is icon at 2” lift up front and stock rear. On 34” at2’s. I need to go higher as I scrub fender Liner going forward and flat out rub crash bars in reverse, which I will not cut/trim out. Wheels are a 17x8.5” 0 offset method nv.

IMO if you’re going to do a 4” go with a 35” tire, but I’m strange about filling up that wheel well, that’s why I rub now lol

Looks good- What exact size tire are you running? Im currently on Fox 2.0 on 305/55-20, but am going to switch to 17's and want to run a 34" tire at a min. Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts