F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is a simple question, but figured I'd ask the experts. . .

If an IWE or anything vacuum related to the front hubs fail or gets unplugged, pinched, etc., it's my understanding you can be "stuck" in 4wd because the hubs will not disengage.

In this scenario will the HUD show you are in 4wd? Even though the dash switch is not engaged?
Also, will this always lead to a CEL?

Reason I ask is I suspect one of my tires has the IWE engaged. Is this possible to only have one engagement?

I know the test, just not very comfortable starting a vehicle on jack stands.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts

If an IWE or anything vacuum related to the front hubs fail or gets unplugged, pinched, etc., it's my understanding you can be "stuck" in 4wd because the hubs will not disengage.

In this scenario will the HUD show you are in 4wd? Even though the dash switch is not engaged?

Reason I ask is I suspect one of my tires has the IWE engaged. Is this possible to only have one engagement?

Yes only one of my hubs got stuck. The vac lines go to each hub and if the IWE itself failed one will get stuck. I replaced the actuator and the check valve and that didn't fix it. So they replaced the IWE itself. My test was turn the wheel sharp in both directions and it chugged since it was in 4wd. When it was out I could easily make that turn.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you have any codes show up?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts

I would think you could just raise the tire in question and turn it by hand and see if the shaft rotates with it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
it's my understanding you can be "stuck" in 4wd because the hubs will not disengage.
Technically you wouldn't be stuck in 4WD, as the transfer case will still be in 2WD mode. However, the CV shafts would be locked into the wheels. Since you aren't driving the front axle, you won't experience binding.

The RCV IWE eliminators work by doing exactly this... permanently locking things together and removing the ****ty IWEs from the equation.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Did you have any codes show up?
There is no sensor for the 4wd on the hubs so it will not show codes as a result. I think it will only do that for the t-case (just a guess)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Technically you wouldn't be stuck in 4WD, as the transfer case will still be in 2WD mode. However, the CV shafts would be locked into the wheels. Since you aren't driving the front axle, you won't experience binding.

The RCV IWE eliminators work by doing exactly this... permanently locking things together and removing the ****ty IWEs from the equation.
I did my iwe eliminators yesterday totally worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
311 Posts
I did the iwe eliminators yesterday and plugged the vacuum lines and when I go to my truck apps it says I’m in 2wd as normal even though everything is turning except the transfer case

·
Registered
210 Posts
I did the iwe eliminators yesterday and plugged the vacuum lines and when I go to my truck apps it says I’m in 2wd as normal even though everything is turning except the transfer case

Would this type of setup cause any excess wear on your tires? Or any added work on your vacuum pump?

Never mind my question about the pump wear.

Here's some good reads on what's happening to the locks and what having the Elminator replacements done will eventually entail.

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/who-has-rcv-iwe-eliminator-328202/index2/

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/rcv-iwe-eliminator-kit.41302/page-5

I might consider this but I'm not sure. I am just tired of going through hubs even though I'm not even off roading the damn truck or daily driving it. It has had 4 hub replacements over the life of the truck so far, and I have a feeling the high pitched noise I hear at 50mph and up is a leak in the vacuum system at the right side hub. Fyi, I just had the vacuum pump recall work done this past weekend. Picked up the truck yesterday and after 5 minutes, pulled into garage and vacuum pump sounded off. Can't find any info on how often the pump should be activating to maintain a vacuum seal on the hubs.

Since my warranty is now up, I'll be taking it apart this weekend to check the pressure on the lines. Does anyone know how much pressure these stock hubs are supposed to get so that they stay disengaged in 2wd? I might be asking google the wrong question. Lol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
Jammol
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing