F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have used 4 low several times in the past with no issues. The last two times i used low range i had a terrible time getting back to 4 hi. The transfer case seemed to hang in neutral. Saying shift delayed pull foreword. Cant pull forward with t case stuck between gears. I know 3mph or less for the shift but you can only roll so far at 3 mph until it stops. Anyone have any issues with 4 low?

·
Registered
903 Posts
I had it happen once but it was actually in gear for me. I actually just shifted to reverse (I'm old school like that anyways still when locking and unlocking 4wd) and heard it click back into 4H and then I swapped into 2H. Happened around 20k miles and I'm at 37k now with it never happening again.

And I don't think our t-cases have a neutral that they can hang up in...did you just sit there with your engine revving when this happened and you couldn't pull forward or go backwards?

Also you should be at a complete and total stop with the transmission in neutral when shifting to 4L. It might state you can at 3mph, but it's a best practice to do so stopped. The one time it happened to me I wasn't totally stopped and the other 50 or so times I've used 4L and didn't have a problem, I was in N and totally still.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
May not have a neutral but when it said shift delayed pull forward i put it in drive and it wouldn't move just engine revving. Had to turn knob several times from 4 low to 4 high to get it to move. After several attempts finally went to 4 hi then i could switch from 2wd. As i said before I've used low several times without issue. Just problems the last two times.

·
Registered
1 Posts
May not have a neutral but when it said shift delayed pull forward i put it in drive and it wouldn't move just engine revving. Had to turn knob several times from 4 low to 4 high to get it to move. After several attempts finally went to 4 hi then i could switch from 2wd. As i said before I've used low several times without issue. Just problems the last two times.
Did you ever get this fixed? My 2013 is doing the same thing and the dealer put a new shift motor on and said it was fixed but it's not.

·
Registered
670 Posts
They do have "neutral" it's just not on the dial. I do not know if the XL/XLT version without 4A has it.

To put the transfer case in neutral you turn the key to the on position but don't start the truck, shift the transmission to neutral, then turn the transfer case selector switch from 2wd high to 4wd low 5 times and back within 10 seconds. When the transfer case shifts the info screen let's you know the truck is in recreational tow mode.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts