F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wouldn't say I have a problem, more of a question. When my truck is in 2WD it is fairly quiet without much road noise, when I put it in 4WD it sounds as if I have mud tires on the truck. It only makes the noise when I let off the gas, slow down, or coasting down a hill. As long as my foot is on the gas pedal it doesn't make much noise. It isn't a grinding noise, just sounds like road noise. This is my first Ford, so not sure if this is normal, or if I should take it to the dealer and have them look at it. The 4WD is definitely working, so I guess I am just curious. Thanks

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
When you put it in 4x4 there is a lot of noise. That's normal.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Chain in transfer case.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Are you sure it is not the road conditions?
I know when I have to use 4X4 the conditions warrant it and I get a lot of noise from the snow or ice on the road that I'm driving on.
I've not noticed any extra noise when in 4X4 but as soon as I no longer need it or the pavement can be seen I take it out.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Mine is extremely quiet in 4HI. I sometimes have to double check the dash to see if I am in 4WD or 2WD when I start up my truck in the morning or leave from work and first drive off. I can "feel it" more than hear it.

4LO is an entirely different story. I definitely notice that.

Do you have ESOF (you don't mention your model)? Maybe your selector is "off".

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure what ESOF means, but would like to know just to check. Also, forgot to mention that when the temps get below 5 degrees and my truck sits outside during the day, when I start to drive it sounds like the 4WD is humming. This is when it is in 2WD, it lasts for a mile or so and you can hear it release, but I read somewhere that it might be the torque converter not releasing until the transmission temp reaches a certain point, not sure though. Sounds like I may have to take it to the dealer and have it checked out.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I'm not sure what ESOF means, but would like to know just to check. Also, forgot to mention that when the temps get below 5 degrees and my truck sits outside during the day, when I start to drive it sounds like the 4WD is humming. This is when it is in 2WD, it lasts for a mile or so and you can hear it release, but I read somewhere that it might be the torque converter not releasing until the transmission temp reaches a certain point, not sure though. Sounds like I may have to take it to the dealer and have it checked out.
Electronic shift on the fly.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Mine growls a bit under acceleration. All 3 of my F150s did. I havent had to take any of them in for work so I would say its normal, kind of a disturbing sound though. I live in ND so my trucks are in 4 diggs about 3 months out of the year.

My 97 had 208,000 miles on it when traded. My 08 had 59,500 on it when I traded, and my 13 has 9k on it.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
When I said noisy I meant you can hear a hum. That's not there in 2wd. I had to use it yesterday going up my cousins driveway. Had a heavy trailer behind me. Put it in 4x4 and still couldn't get up. Thought I was gonna have to get a running start then I locked the rear diff and man what a difference!!

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
When I said noisy I meant you can hear a hum. That's not their in 2wd.

I had to use it yesterday going up my cousins driveway. Had a heavy trailer behind me. Put it in 4x4 and still couldn't get up. Thought I was gonna have to get a running start then I locked the rear diff and man what a difference!!
Yeah it's awesome. .... I need better tires than the pirellis tho lol

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Yeah it's awesome. .... I need better tires than the pirellis tho lol
I have the Bridgestone Alenzas. I'm not in love but I don't hate them either.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I got quoted for Toyos. ... still looking around. I have enough tread to last all summer..prob get new in the fall
A decent all terrain in 20" is hella expensive... I see 18" wheels in my future

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm a forum newbie and I'm interested in EVANGORP'S issue with noise in 4X4HIGH. I have a 2011 FX4 and when I'm in 4X4 HIGH I get a almost grinding noise when turning left or right at very slow speed. This is my 1st Ford 4x4 so I don't know if this is normal. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts