F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
So I just injected 10oz of the friction modifier F and here are my thoughts/findings:

1. I actually injected it with the truck not running. The trans was at 140 F from running earlier today and the exhaust was just luke warm. When I loosened the dipstick cap I could hear the trans breaking vacuum or something and some fluid gurgling. But nothing ever came out or leaked. Fluid looked good too (granted I only have 20k). Do at your own risk of injecting when not running. Results may vary.

2. The friction modifier F is actually a very thick fluid. It took a bit of effort to inject 10 oz of it.

3. I have no idea how in the hell Ford injects it with the engine running. You literally have to hold the syringe tip in the trans dipstick hole with your hand pressed up against the cat piping and press down on the syringe with your thumb. Two hands are recommended to ensure the tip stays in the hole (insert crude jokes here haha). I tried from the side, but due to the thickness of the modifier it seems easiest to inject it from the top with the syringe vertical.

4. Driving/results - I started driving and the trans was at 140 F. I tried to make it squawk knowing it was too cool, and obviously got no noise. I did this every 10 F three times (yes, I was beating on it pretty good) and still had no squawking noise. I even ran the trans up to 206 F and still had no noise. This appears to have fixed the squawking noise for me.

Moral of story: don't waste your time at the "stealership" and just buy it for less than $50 shipped to your door and do it yourself. I mean sure that's $50 out of my own pocket, but the peace of mind of doing it myself, when I want, and how I want is worth it to me. Hope this helps you guys and best of luck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I will be adding this as soon as I can order and get it in my hands. Thank you so much for taking the lead and just doing it!

·
Registered
706 Posts
So I just injected 10oz of the friction modifier F and here are my thoughts/findings:

1. I actually injected it with the truck not running. The trans was at 140 F from running earlier today and the exhaust was just luke warm. When I loosened the dipstick cap I could hear the trans breaking vacuum or something and some fluid gurgling. But nothing ever came out or leaked. Fluid looked good too (granted I only have 20k). Do at your own risk of injecting when not running. Results may vary.

2. The friction modifier F is actually a very thick fluid. It took a bit of effort to inject 10 oz of it.

3. I have no idea how in the hell Ford injects it with the engine running. You literally have to hold the syringe tip in the trans dipstick hole with your hand pressed up against the cat piping and press down on the syringe with your thumb. Two hands are recommended to ensure the tip stays in the hole (insert crude jokes here haha). I tried from the side, but due to the thickness of the modifier it seems easiest to inject it from the top with the syringe vertical.

4. Driving/results - I started driving and the trans was at 140 F. I tried to make it squawk knowing it was too cool, and obviously got no noise. I did this every 10 F three times (yes, I was beating on it pretty good) and still had no squawking noise. I even ran the trans up to 206 F and still had no noise. This appears to have fixed the squawking noise for me.

Moral of story: don't waste your time at the "stealership" and just buy it for less than $50 shipped to your door and do it yourself. I mean sure that's $50 out of my own pocket, but the peace of mind of doing it myself, when I want, and how I want is worth it to me. Hope this helps you guys and best of luck.
So you didn't inject the other black stuff? Does it come with directions? I can't find it on the site with out the part # so I am going to call them tomarrow and get it ordered. I am glad that I seen this thread and I am with you instead of messing around with the dealer I would just rather get it done myself considering the price and that it is oem products. Thank you

·
Registered
903 Posts
I will be adding this as soon as I can order and get it in my hands. Thank you so much for taking the lead and just doing it!
Not a problem, glad I could be of help.

So you didn't inject the other black stuff? Does it come with directions? I can't find it on the site with out the part # so I am going to call them tomarrow and get it ordered. I am glad that I seen this thread and I am with you instead of messing around with the dealer I would just rather get it done myself considering the price and that it is oem products. Thank you
Negative, do not inject the black fluid...it is a tracer, not a friction modifier. The only instructions I know of are on TSB-14-0100. The box/package does not comes with any instructions. The only "instructions" of sorts are to wear protective gear when using the stuff (eyes, hands, respiratory). Granted I did safety goggles and nitrile gloves, but did not use a respirator...just don't go sniffing the stuff haha.

And on FordPartsGiant's site it was a little vague finding it. It didn't have a pic or anything other than the part number, the MSRP of $52 something and the reduced price of $39 something. I just went out on a limb with ordering it and it worked out well.

Reactions: savage07

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mike Wood, still no squawk noise I hope? I'll have the XL-16 tomorrow. Just hoping you're still having luck....

·
Registered
903 Posts
Mike Wood, still no squawk noise I hope? I'll have the XL-16 tomorrow. Just hoping you're still having luck....
Correct, still no squawking on the downshifts. I still have the occasional buzzing associated with TSB-14-0134 though

·
Registered
182 Posts
So I've also added the XL-16 friction modifier to my transmission. Per the TSB, I added 9-10ml with the engine running. The additive F is very thick. I ran the syringe under warm water for a few minutes to soften it up a bit. I have not driven enoguh yet to know if my squawking has gone away, but will report back once I know.

Big thanks to Mike Wood!!

·
Registered
903 Posts
So I've also added the XL-16 friction modifier to my transmission. Per the TSB, I added 9-10ml with the engine running. The additive F is very thick. I ran the syringe under warm water for a few minutes to soften it up a bit. I have not driven enoguh yet to know if my squawking has gone away, but will report back once I know.

Big thanks to Mike Wood!!
Hope it works out for you golf, keep us posted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same noise

Correct, still no squawking on the downshifts. I still have the occasional buzzing associated with TSB-14-0134 though
Glad to hear there seems to be a solution for this. Has anyone had success with having dealerships fix this without any major headaches/delays. It seems like this is fairly common and an easy fix, but I know some dealerships don't seem to want to take the time to identify the problem.

I am am taking my 2014 FX4 Ecoboost in to a dealership tomorrow morning for an oil change (15k miles) and have the "check out" this sound. I'll be sure to reference all the info I have read on this forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got a call from dealership service and they told me they could not replicate the sound. I was afraid this would happen. I emailed a video of the exact same sound as the video on this thread. I was also told that this tsb-14-0100 does not apply to my vehicle. I'm glad I got to get a rental for two days for nothing.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Just got a call from dealership service and they told me they could not replicate the sound. I was afraid this would happen. I emailed a video of the exact same sound as the video on this thread. I was also told that this tsb-14-0100 does not apply to my vehicle. I'm glad I got to get a rental for two days for nothing.
That is typical "stealership" BS at its finest. Do yourself a favor and order the Motorcraft XL-16 kit yourself as I and others have done. Literally takes 5 min to inject the fluid yourself and it will fix your problem. Do NOT listen to or believe the dealership when they say it doesn't apply to your truck. Sure, Ford worded the TSB-14-0100 so it sounds like it might not apply to your truck, but my truck built May 2014 had this noise and the XL-16 fixed the issue. $50 yourself and save yourself the headaches of dealing with crappy stealerships...

Reactions: savage07

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wanted to share my experience with the squawking noise.

I have a 2015 XLT with regular V-6. I noticed the noise as I have read in this thread only when trans is warmed up - going between 35-40 MPH downshifting from 5-3. I took it to one dealership and of course they could not replicate it. I was able to get it on video (in traffic of course) and dropped my truck at the dealership. They were aware of the TSB and with no problem added the XL-16 Fluid and so far (1 Day) no noise and yes the shifting noise in the other TSB I hear occasionally but does not seem as bad.

I am just glad to find out that I am not crazy in this "noise" I have 27,000 miles currently and am wondering if anyone has any more updates from their experience with the fluid. I would like to make sure this is resolved before the warranty expires and all of a sudden I have to buy a new trans.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Has anyone had the 5-3 downshift squawk and had TSB-14-0100 done. If so, did it solve the problem or just another crappy patch by ford?

Thanks Guys
I had the TSB-14-0100 done because my truck was having the same issue. I am curious though if this is a temporary fix or if it is permanent?? Anyone have a long run with it?? is this just a bandaid?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, ran across this thread while doing some research on my truck. I have a 2015 Lariat SCrew 5.0 FX4. I have been dealing with harsh 3-4 upshifts as well as the "squawk" during 5-3 downshift. I have had it in to the dealership several times and it still hasn't been fixed. I ended up having to take the head transmission tech on a drive so I could replicate the squawk for him. He agreed that the sound was not normal. At first he thought it sounded like something rattling i.e. a heat shield, exhaust, etc. They did a PCM update and that didn't fix it. They were going to put the type F friction additive in the transmission but apparently Ford told them to hold off on that while they "investigated" the issue. Several months went by and I had not heard a word from the dealership so I called them. They ended up telling me they needed to keep the truck and open up the transmission. Two weeks later, they ended up replacing a bunch of stuff, including a solenoid asy, plate and gasket asy, 6 "driven plates", 6 plate asy - drive, 6-plate asy drive, hub-clutch, and some gaskets, a snap ring, nuts and bolts. They flushed the converter and cooler, added new fluid, as well as 10 ml type F additive. All this and I'm still experiencing the 3-4 upshift shudder as well as the 5-3 squawk. Not very impressed at this point. Just got off the phone with the dealership and I have to make another appointment to take someone out on a drive to replicate the issue yet again. I think it's worth noting that during one of my visits, they gave me a loaner truck that had the 5.0 just like mine. I was able to replicate the squawk on the loaner truck as well. Looks like Ford needs to look into this issue as it is more common than they may want to admit. To me, the friction modifier is just a Band-Aid fix that covers up a problem that needs to be properly addressed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Replicate noise procedure???

I have a 2016 F150 5.0L and I have the same exact thing going on. I described it to them and the mechanic associated the my description of the problem to the TSB. They could not replicate it and told me to be patient. When the fix comes out they will contact me. I'm really not happy with what is going on, truck was too expensive to have this sort of lingering issue. I can sort of replicate noise but am curious as to how you replicate the noise. What steps to you take? I'm going on my 4th visit and my next visit will be a lemon law lawyer. I didn't pay all that money for something that could cause damage to my transmission.

I just noticed this sound again coming from my truck yesterday when on the interstate....went to mash the gas to pass and as soon as it downshifted it let out a loud noise almost like an airhorn.

I'm gonna print this tsb to take to the dealer with me....I know exactly how to make the noise happen so I'm gonna be livid if they tell me they couldn't get it to make the noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been experiencing the dreaded 5-3 downshift transmission "squawk" for many months. The dealer added the friction modifier to the transmission, but that was little more than a way to cover up the real problem. It worked for a short time, then the noise came back. The dealer recently had my truck for roughly three weeks while removing the transmission and replacing the OD clutch pack. Roughly 400 miles later, the noise came back. I'll be headed back to the dealer soon for yet another attempt.

All of this is on top of another transmission issue involving the initial cover-up of a design flaws with the lead frame. The cover-up didn't last long, so they replaced the lead frame with what they're calling an updated version.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts