F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5 star 89 per/tow tune

Hello all,

I just finished taking my truck for a spin after uploading the 5 star 89 octane per/tow tune... I must say after reading so much about these tunes and how they effect the trucks performance I was afraid I would be expecting to much and be let down.

The truck is so much better right off the bat it's amazing... the lag I was getting before (turbo lag) is "almost" completely gone.. the shifting is much improved as well.

I am feeling like maybe it still shifts into 2nd gear sooner than I like... and I feel like as I'm slowing down it drops into 4th gear at around 35 mph kind of abruptly.. seems like around 30 mph would be better.

Has anyone else had any of these result with there tunes.. I am wondering if some of those shifting dynamics will change as this was just a quick 25 min drive. I also wonder if not if there is a chance Mike over at 5 star can adjust some of that?

I love what I just experienced for that short ride.. it's unreal how much of a difference it makes.

I purchased the 87 eco, 87 per/tow, 89 per/tow, 93 per, 93 per/tow

Doug

·
Registered
189 Posts
It takes about 200 miles for the tranny to relearn after loading a tune. Get some miles on it before asking for changes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah kinda figured.. Thanks skiSmuggs

·
Registered
523 Posts
The OEM tuning is pretty lack luster. Especially for response to driver input and precise transmission gear selection at the correct time.

The transmission shifting characteristics won't drastically over X miles. The changes the TCM makes are very in learning mode minute. I would drive on it a couple days to see if the symptoms are consistently repeatable. You've got other tunes to chose from as well. Give one of those a try in a couple days if your looking for something different.

If not call Mike see if he can make some adjustments, or try another vendor's tunes. Lot of options.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Hello all,

I just finished taking my truck for a spin after uploading the 5 star 89 octane per/tow tune... I must say after reading so much about these tunes and how they effect the trucks performance I was afraid I would be expecting to much and be let down.

The truck is so much better right off the bat it's amazing... the lag I was getting before (turbo lag) is "almost" completely gone.. the shifting is much improved as well.

I am feeling like maybe it still shifts into 2nd gear sooner than I like... and I feel like as I'm slowing down it drops into 4th gear at around 35 mph kind of abruptly.. seems like around 30 mph would be better.

Has anyone else had any of these result with there tunes.. I am wondering if some of those shifting dynamics will change as this was just a quick 25 min drive. I also wonder if not if there is a chance Mike over at 5 star can adjust some of that?

I love what I just experienced for that short ride.. it's unreal how much of a difference it makes.

Doug
Just wait until you run the 93 Perf.. You wont ever want to go back to the 89 per/tow

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Merged your threads.. Just wanted to let you know so you didn't think you double posted in this thread.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Just wait until you run the 93 Perf.. You wont ever want to go back to the 89 per/tow
You felt a difference ? A guy was running 5 star tune at the track. Switched between 87 89 93.. felt no difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
You felt a difference ? A guy was running 5 star tune at the track. Switched between 87 89 93.. felt no difference. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Maybe he was trolling. I find it hard to believe there would be no difference between the tunes

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will update in a week or so.. I will be trying the 93 per next.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Who trolling? It was an older guy . uploadfromtaptalk1391857402730.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1391857447151.jpg

His best time slip.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You felt a difference ? A guy was running 5 star tune at the track. Switched between 87 89 93.. felt no difference.

There may only be 25-30 HP difference which is hard to feel. It may show up as a tenth or two in the quarter. As a matter of fact, run the 87 tune on 93 gas and you get 20 more HP without changing tunes.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Lol ski guy was puzzled. . No change in et at all. He was running 93 octane. I bet when he switched to the lower octane tunes they benefited from the 93 oct in the tank . That's why it might not have ran any different.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello all,

Doug
I loaded a 5 star 87 per/tow and I to feel like it gets into 2nd at part throttle early as well. Downshift seem harsh at times depending on throttle position. I talked to Mike he said give it some more seat time. I was very concerned about the shift schedule and talked with mike about this before I purchased tunes from him. At this point I am a little bummed wishing I would have never started modding my daily driver. Just to damn easy to get power from these truck to pass up the opportunity. I am heading to Bradenton this coming weekend so I should get plenty of seat time. Hopefully the tune will come around or Mike gets it shifting like I want.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I loaded the 5* 87 pt tune last week. Mike is right, the shifting gets smoother with time. The electronic control for the tranny is adaptive and it takes time for the computer to "learn".

Reactions: milesej05

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
That happens with all tunes, it takes a while for the tranny to adjust and smooth out. It usually takes a couple driving cycles or couple hundred miles...

·
Registered
461 Posts
LOL, that is what I am waiting for. I have been running the 89 since getting the tunes via...email and the tank was 3/4 full of it anyway. So, I hope 93 will be enjoyable more fun. I also read somewhere on the site you actually get more gas per tank than the 89 tune..either way...run it for awhile to let the ECM compensate for the changes.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Good point!

Lol ski guy was puzzled. . No change in et at all. He was running 93 octane. I bet when he switched to the lower octane tunes they benefited from the 93 oct in the tank . That's why it might not have ran any different.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts