F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Yep. One guy in two years. Just recently actually. 29,000 miles on the truck with the stock tires, but a good bit of mods. Hole in one of his pistons. Dealer denied warranty due to both the mods and tuning. We paid out for a new long block and labor.
I can't think of another single company that stands behind their word like that. Thank for updating us.

·
Vendor
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I can't think of another single company that stands behind their word like that. Thank for updating us.
Well, the guy bought a Warranty, so a deal is a deal.

Frankly, it sounded to me like the guy's injector in that cylinder took a dump and caused a lean condition and massive detonation (I don't think we ever got a definitive cause). Still, to be fair to the dealership (who was good to both us and the customer about the situation), the tuning may have been at least complicit in the issue.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Well, the guy bought a Warranty, so a deal is a deal. Frankly, it sounded to me like the guy's injector in that cylinder took a dump and caused a lean condition and massive detonation (I don't think we ever got a definitive cause). Still, to be fair to the dealership (who was good to both us and the customer about the situation), the tuning may have been at least complicit in the issue.
I was just going to say that it sounded like bad gas or something like that to burn a hole in a piston.

·
Administrator
11,227 Posts
One more question. What if a device was purchased elsewhere, used for example, and 5* tunes were purchased and added. Could the warranty be bought then with just the tunes?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
One more question. What if a device was purchased elsewhere, used for example, and 5* tunes were purchased and added. Could the warranty be bought then with just the tunes? Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
Yes. Even if you buy the tunes you have 30 days to decide if you want to buy the warranty.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
But I think OP wants to know if you have to buy the SCT tuner through Stage 3.....unsure.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
11,227 Posts
Yeah. If I found an SCT device used. I know you can purchase tunes and add them to a device you did not purchase from them. Just curious if you could also get the warranty in that situation.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Sorry, maybe I didn't make my answer clear. YES. Lol. If you buy a tune you are eligible to buy the warranty. No need to buy the programmer from them.

Reactions: meaz93

·
Registered
282 Posts
When you buy the sct & warranty tunes at the same time they disable the canned sct tunes.

Can you still have the SCT canned tunes & warranty tunes if you buy separate or 3rd party?

·
Vendor
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
One more question. What if a device was purchased elsewhere, used for example, and 5* tunes were purchased and added. Could the warranty be bought then with just the tunes?
The warranties can be bought with just the tunes, assuming that you don't have any parts already on your truck that wouldn't be covered. All of 5-Star's tune pack options have the ability to come with one of our warranties.

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
And if you flash it back to stock it gets towed to ford dealer then Stage 3/5* send someone to look at it and don't find the a tune loaded into the ecu the claim with stage 3/5* won't get kicked cause the tune is not in at the time of inspection?

Not trying to sound like you guys would try to find a way out of paying but want to make sure there are no ruled that have to be followed... besides mods and maintenance that is listed in the terms

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
And if you flash it back to stock it gets towed to ford dealer then Stage 3/5* send someone to look at it and don't find the a tune loaded into the ecu the claim with stage 3/5* won't get kicked cause the tune is not in at the time of inspection? Not trying to sound like you guys would try to find a way out of paying but want to make sure there are no ruled that have to be followed... besides mods and maintenance that is listed in the terms
Why would you flash to stock? When you notify them that the vehicle is going in for warranty they will tell you not to flash it. How else would they be able to verify that it was their tune on it?

But yes I would guess that the warranty would be void as for all they know you could have been running someone else's tune.

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
I'll give you a scenario. Driving along truck starts to make less power/ noise/ what ever, check engine light comes on... you check code and its XXX code. (assuming there is not oil all over the ground and a piston hanging out) not knowing what might cause it. you flash it back to stock and no change in the power/noise/light comes back on. you take to dealer and that say its an engine problem/what ever/ and want to tear in apart... so you call stage 3 and say here is the deal its at the dealer and they want me to ok the engine internal inspection blah blah blah. you say ok do what you need to and they say bend rod/piston breakage/what ever. Ford fixes and life goes on
or
ford says you have had tuner blah blah blah and you say "well yes but it has a warranty" proceed with the claim to stage3/5* and they check your ecu and its stock. What i'm getting at and not implying is who is to say they don't just decline their warranty because no loaded 5* tune at that time... just wondering the rules that go along with the warranty because I would like to get tuned and get a warranty and IF in the horrible case it comes into play and its used the warranty works the way it should and its not like so many of the warranty that are sold and never pay out when they are supposed to.

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
And do you have to call them every time it goes in for warranty work?

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
And do you have to call them every time it goes in for warranty work?

image-2385138624.jpg

It depends on the work. I had an oil burning issue a year ago. The truck was billowing out blue smoke. I called up Stage 3 before I took it in. The tune stayed on the truck as per their instructions because I thought either a turbo or the engine was toast. Another example is I just recently had an O2 sensor fail, I did not call them as I knew they would not void the warranty for the tune. But when in doubt call. They have said to not even bother flashing to stock when taking it in. So if you get a code take it in with the tune on. The dealership will still diagnose it.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
The downside is that the dealership may flash over your tune, at which point you will need to send the device to sct. It sucks but still cheaper than having to pay the repairs.

·
Administrator
11,227 Posts
So, contrary to what we are generally told, if we have 5* with the warranty, do not return to stock. Interesting. I'm glad I saw this thread. I would have thought to certainly attempt a return to stock.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts