F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Vendor
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I'll give you a scenario. Driving along truck starts to make less power/ noise/ what ever, check engine light comes on... you check code and its XXX code. (assuming there is not oil all over the ground and a piston hanging out) not knowing what might cause it. you flash it back to stock and no change in the power/noise/light comes back on. you take to dealer and that say its an engine problem/what ever/ and want to tear in apart... so you call stage 3 and say here is the deal its at the dealer and they want me to ok the engine internal inspection blah blah blah. you say ok do what you need to and they say bend rod/piston breakage/what ever. Ford fixes and life goes on
or
ford says you have had tuner blah blah blah and you say "well yes but it has a warranty" proceed with the claim to stage3/5* and they check your ecu and its stock. What i'm getting at and not implying is who is to say they don't just decline their warranty because no loaded 5* tune at that time... just wondering the rules that go along with the warranty because I would like to get tuned and get a warranty and IF in the horrible case it comes into play and its used the warranty works the way it should and its not like so many of the warranty that are sold and never pay out when they are supposed to.
We'd probably give you the benefit of the doubt in either case, though if flashing back to stock did not fix the problem, you may want to at least attempt to reload whatever 5-Star tune you were running at the time.

So, contrary to what we are generally told, if we have 5* with the warranty, do not return to stock. Interesting. I'm glad I saw this thread. I would have thought to certainly attempt a return to stock.
Only if you believe something catastrophic has happened. For general work/maintenance at your dealer, you should return the truck to stock to avoid getting your device locked out of your PCM (assuming your mods don't preclude that in some fashion).

Like we said, if your motor does let go, you may not be able to return to stock due to the extent of the damage. Not to mention, we want a serious engine failure situation to look as least shady as possible when you bring the truck into your service center of choice.

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
Thank you for the reply. I like what I am reading, and covers you for items that are dealer no no's like catch cans, exhausts. The reason i asked the questions is I was told by a service manager that most don't care about the tune unless its a major failure (because they get paid more then warranty pays if a customer pays) but ask that you go back to stock before making the tech diagnose it. They think the tune will skew there tests results... also if you get flashed with an update (which might be easiest for the tech if nothing jumps out from his diagnostic list). Some techs check for an update and there is one available and just flash it and say "Updated PCM/ECM fix the problem" and move to the next car, no test drive or anything. Lots of reasons to go back to stock first then if it ends up needing to go through stage3 the flash to stock would be done and if that was a Warranty VOID we need to know as consumers. IMO its good to not be shady with the dealer OR stage3, Ask all the questions first then spend money.

I'm not a lawyer but read the terms and conditions of the warranty very closely (and didn't see any special procedures except call if you think it will be major)because 500-1000 is hard to come by, so if there are secret rules I want to know about them first.

It seams you guys are on the up and up, good reputation on the forum and have good priced on F150 goodies. I will Buy the Tunes, warranty, and some other things I have been holding back on (stock looking was always the best camo)

·
Vendor
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Thank you for the reply. I like what I am reading, and covers you for items that are dealer no no's like catch cans, exhausts. The reason i asked the questions is I was told by a service manager that most don't care about the tune unless its a major failure (because they get paid more then warranty pays if a customer pays) but ask that you go back to stock before making the tech diagnose it. They think the tune will skew there tests results... also if you get flashed with an update (which might be easiest for the tech if nothing jumps out from his diagnostic list). Some techs check for an update and there is one available and just flash it and say "Updated PCM/ECM fix the problem" and move to the next car, no test drive or anything. Lots of reasons to go back to stock first then if it ends up needing to go through stage3 the flash to stock would be done and if that was a Warranty VOID we need to know as consumers. IMO its good to not be shady with the dealer OR stage3, Ask all the questions first then spend money.
If you're going in for general service work or for a minor issue, then absolutely return the truck to stock before you take it. Your warranty won't be voided because you returned the truck to stock for basic diagnostics/service.

All we're really saying is that in the event of catastrophic failure, you may not be able to return the truck to stock, and you shouldn't stress about trying to return the truck to stock or doing a KAM reset or any of that.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
I'll tell you one thing, the truck I trade this one on in a couple of years will also be tuned by 5 Star and I will be getting the extended warranty then.
I did not get the warranty with this truck/tunes and I haven't had any major issues but when I do have an issue the fact I'm running a tune stresses me the Hell out and the whole "will the dealership find out I'm tuned" BS.

So ya, next truck I will purchase the extended warranty for peace of mind more then anything.
Oh man lol this post was so many engines ago lol
Good times

Edit ( most likely Not due to tunes that I ran)

Traded in the ol
2013 F 150 ecoboost 4x4 xlt crew cab

For a
2017 2.7 ecoboost xl Sport crew cab 4x2

Sent from my iPhone using Craptalk

Reactions: TX-Ripper

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
Oh man lol this post was so many engines ago lol
Good times

Edit ( most likely Not due to tunes that I ran)

Traded in the ol

For a

So are you tuned with a warranty now?

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
So are you tuned with a warranty now?
Nope, traded that truck in a couple weeks ago for this 2017 2.7
I ran another company's tune later on and up until I traded the truck in

No tunes for the 17 available yet for my SCT X4

Traded in the ol

For a

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
5 star has a killer sct trade in deal for a ngauge with tunes.

(mpt seems to have zero interest in the 2.7)

·
Administrator
11,227 Posts
Mpt has bad ass beta 2.7 tunes. He's working on getting California certification for 2.7 tunes. They are ready otherwise. But he can't tune the '17 at all yet with SCT of course.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
11,227 Posts
I don't know what his hold up is though. He was in Cali a little bit ago working on that.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
5 star has a killer sct trade in deal for a ngauge with tunes.

(mpt seems to have zero interest in the 2.7)
Ya 5 star does have a great trade in deal, but still bull **** I have to spend more $$ when my x4 is only a couple years old. Quite Irritating actually.
I understand it's not on 5 stars side or any other tuner. Its SCT's lagging asses.
They sure as hell better not totally fade it out like they did the x3 for the 2015+ trucks

Traded in the ol

For a

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
I don't think they will (because they don't have a new piece of hardware to sell yet)

Im betting that sct will release support soon.

I also beleave that the reason they have not releast support is wanting to have transmission tuning ability which they dont have

Diablo has releast support for engine only not transmission.

So If you want a full tune (the only way to go), its with nguage or wait a couple more months.

Reactions: Sirikenewtron

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Ya I'll just wait. And hope

Traded in the ol

For a

·
Vendor
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
So does the sct support the 2018 10sp transmissions now?

If so, are there any advantages with the nGauge over the SCT/bdx?
SCT only has full support of the 2018 trucks on the BDX devices, so as long as you're good with either a Bully Dog/SCT BDX, there's not going to be a huge difference.

Though from what I'm told, 5-Star does prefer HPTuners over SCT these days, mostly due to SCT's various model year/device/partial/full tuning support mess, but on the customer-side of the equation, you can go with either at this point.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts