F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased the Bilstein 5100 shock/strut leveling kit for my 2011 F150, and I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before I tackle the job. I've done struts before, but on a Mazda 3 and Mustang GT, and with each of those installations it was highly recommended to replace the strut mount(cap) anytime the strut assembly was taken apart, b/c if not replaced you would end up with a knocking sound during turns and bumps. I've tried doing some research and I've watch numerous videos of strut replacements on these f150's and no one mentions replacement of the strut mount/cap. What are your thoughts for these trucks and replacing the strut mount? Is it required or no?

Thanks in advance

Robby

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had it done on my 2009 and now my 2015 and neither time did they replace the caps, and I have had no problems with noise on either truck.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
I did not replace the caps. Never heard a sound. I guess it depends on the condition of your current ones. I did mine with about 35k on the truck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just had Bilsteins installed on my 2014, and they did not replace the caps. I went with the highest setting. Also had an alignment done. Drives great, no noise, better ride even at the tallest setting

Before

After w/33s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome. I appreciate the replies. I talked to the guy at Stage3Motorsports and he said I did not need to either. I just know when I did struts on my wife's mazda 3 years ago I did not replace the upper caps/mounts and they made noise, so I had to take it all apart and replace them. I hate doing a job twice, so I wanted to make sure i got all the proper information the 1st time on this go around.

·
Modinstrator
3,167 Posts
No need to replace the caps. I believe the confusion here is that the set up on the front of your truck is a coilover and not an actual strut. McPherson struts are often confused with coilovers. McPherson Struts utilize a bearing in the upper mount, coilovers do not turn or rotate in the upper mount (less parts to wear). I believe the thought process here is; why not replace the bearing/cap while it’s in you hand on a true strut system. Coilovers do have rubber in the upper mount and these pieces do wear but these mounts are typically good for a very long time.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for clearing that up in technical terms. Well i'm going to tackle mine this weekend, hopefully the rubber in my upper mounts are in good shape, even though my truck has 153k on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts