F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Vendor
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some updates on the shop truck: 21K miles and still going strong. The weather got cool finally in December (warmest year in history) and we promptly ran out of fuel (AFR's climbed slightly and the Fuel Pump commanded vs actual was 220PSI). The new XDI-35 pump is going on right now.

I'll post up a dyno graph, but let me give some background. First: I give up: everyone reports their dyno numbers in the less conservative STD vs. SAE, so this dyno chart is in STD.

What you see going on is the same as before: 93 E10 gas, no dyno tricks, no meth, 2 degrees of timing and 16lbs of boost on the hit, climbing to 12 degrees total timing, and climbing to 18lbs of boost at 4500rpm.

Once we confirm the fueling is there, we are going to command 18psi of boost across the board. We know the heads can't flow much more, given the turbulence dams in the Gen 1 heads (see picture). So we can't do too much more to make smart power up top, we do see opportunity down low. For those that think these turbos don't make the power, we know it can make 560lb/ft of torque, and with RPM it shoudl put up near that same amount, IF there are no restrictions. With ported heads, 550rwhp is absolutely doable.

On to the dyno chart: you can see the predicted torque curve in green..
Torque Dip from 3100 to 4500RPM (002).jpg

And the fangled turbulence dams in a junk Gen 1 head.. damn!

Turbulence Dam.jpg

After this next dyno, I'm done messing around, the RBrown 9.0:1 compression shortblock is here and it is beautiful. It is going in the truck, ported heads going on top, turn up the boost to 22-26lbs and SEND IT!

Stay tuned!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Well this is exciting!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,905 Posts
I'm just guessing, but I assume looking at that eye-candy (pictures) on the screen is NOTHING compared to seeing, touching, staring at the real thing?
Or put another way, it's just impossible to store one in inventory? Lol

It'll be fun to see dyno ink overlay that green mark. (and SAE is fine with me, by the way)

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Jerry, I really looking forward to what those ported heads can do for you.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Jerry,

I recall checking out Super Six Motorsports and their ported Ecoboost heads on their website close to the time I first joined this Website back in 2013.

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/_pdf/3.8_4.2/SSM2013Cyclonecatrev1CylinderHeads.pdf

And I found it interesting that they NEVER mentioned the "restriction" that you had, and I would have thought they would DEFINITELY want to tell people about that restriction. But when I started to check out the picture of your head vs their head ... I realized SSM isn't even showing the same head???

The head SSM has different coolant passages and doesn't have the DI injector that your head does.

I can only conclude that SSM isn't showing a ported EB head (though I got it from the link for the Ecoboost).

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Nope. The first RMB Gen2 block that crosses the Texas border (heading for cow town) ain't gonna be for Tifosi to waste on display.

There'll be a hood-up 18 sittin in your drive waiting for it.
I do hope that wasn't a dig at me! :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,905 Posts
I do hope that wasn't a dig at me! :eek:
Couldn't possibly be. Cuz I don't get it?
Or, I wasn't aware Jerry already had a Gen2 RBM block project. Of course he could!

If you read the post Jerry made, it sounded like (to me anyways) that instead of waiting to put the RBM block into his work truck, he is chomping at the bit to do it now!
(at one point somewhere I thought he intended to keep beating on his tow truck until that oem bottom cried UNCLE, then build it)

So no, no dig.
Besides, that's not really like me. I'm for world peas. ;)

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Couldn't possibly be. Cuz I don't get it?
Or, I wasn't aware Jerry already had a Gen2 RBM block project. Of course he could!

If you read the post Jerry made, it sounded like (to me anyways) that instead of waiting to put the RBM block into his work truck, he is chomping at the bit to do it now!
(at one point somewhere I thought he intended to keep beating on his tow truck until that oem bottom cried UNCLE, then build it)

So no, no dig.
Besides, that's not really like me. I'm for world peas. ;)
I’m just giving you a hard time. I posted in another thread that Jerry teased me about keeping my motor on display in his office until my truck gets finished at the body shop.

·
Premium Member
4,905 Posts
Ah. My bad. Haven't been around long enough to connect all the dots.
So there IS one in "inventory" at Tifosi! Lol

·
Vendor
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m just giving you a hard time. I posted in another thread that Jerry teased me about keeping my motor on display in his office until my truck gets finished at the body shop.
Grim, I do not think those guys were advertising the correct head, you are right!

Chris: as I tease you about displaying your engine, right now mine is just sitting there teasing me to drop it in!! I'm kinda tired of letting opportunity pass me by here. I'd like to get as much info as possible to help out the community but.. the power is waiting on me and it's not like I'm not an addict ;)

It doesn't help that I had stock downpipes on last week for exhaust final testing. The truck was down maybe 30rwhp and 40lb/ft of torque... I baited a buddy in a new X5M (567hp), I left it in 3 Manual at a lower RPM and he walked me. It would have been closer had I downshifted but I wanted to see.. those new M's are no slouch. Pretty sure from a dig when I'm on the Full Race downpipes it would have been even or MAYBE in my favor?. Oh well :)

·
Premium Member
4,905 Posts
When an F150 dusts a $100,000 X5M, there's gonna be some really hurt feelings. But I'm kinda stoked you expect to?

I gotta get my head around that possibility.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Jerry,

I recall checking out Super Six Motorsports and their ported Ecoboost heads on their website close to the time I first joined this Website back in 2013.

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/_pdf/3.8_4.2/SSM2013Cyclonecatrev1CylinderHeads.pdf

And I found it interesting that they NEVER mentioned the "restriction" that you had, and I would have thought they would DEFINITELY want to tell people about that restriction. But when I started to check out the picture of your head vs their head ... I realized SSM isn't even showing the same head???

The head SSM has different coolant passages and doesn't have the DI injector that your head does.

I can only conclude that SSM isn't showing a ported EB head (though I got it from the link for the Ecoboost).
Looks to be a 3.7 cyclone head, probably off a Mustang.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Looks to be a 3.7 cyclone head, probably off a Mustang.
That was what I was thinking, but I was certain ... other than it did not look like a 3.5 Ecoboost Head w/DI.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts