F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this type of topic has been beat to death and I've read all the posts, and data about CAI's on these vehicles and how it's the worst bang for buck mod...however this is common on many platforms. With that said, I've owned, tuned, and tracked several vehicles throughout my life from fox body mustangs to LS powered gm's, boss 302, etc. and 100% of those cars gained in trap times, ET's, and dyno numbers with an intake mod.

On my EB, I originally planned to do downpipes first, but my state recently adopted carb emissions standards and I will no longer be able to do that with what is also a daily driver. Other than that I do not plan to do any exhaust mods, because they all pretty much sound bad on these vehicles (to me). So for bolt-ons that really leaves a CAC upgrade, custom tune, and CAI. The money isn't an issue, so I was thinking to just knock it all out at once. My understanding is stock will often dyno better than CAI, but custom tune + cai will dyno better than custom tune + stock. So that's really the objective - get the most out of the tune. S&B looks to be in line with what I consider a well developed product so that's the direction I intend to go. What I'd like to know is if anyone has any dyno numbers or track times specifically for S&B + 93 octane 5 star tune on a 2015-2016 3.5l EB. That might be too specific of an ask, but thought I'd give it a shot 馃檪.

Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
I don't think you would have an argument with the Ecoboost experts if you were including the Cai upgrade with turbos that can move substantially more volume than those oem little snails.
I think the defense of the oem intake NOT being a bottleneck is just because it isn't for the turbos on that truck.

Still, there's nothing that I personally would have against a fella chasing power with the intake being part of the equation, but if you aren't going bigger with turbos, then the dyno is going to reflect that the oem intake isn't a choke point.

At least that's how I have read all these years of posts regarding.

Reactions: TimW1968

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think you would have an argument with the Ecoboost experts if you were including the Cai upgrade with turbos that can move substantially more volume than those oem little snails.
I think the defense of the oem intake NOT being a bottleneck is just because it isn't for the turbos on that truck.

Still, there's nothing that I personally would have against a fella chasing power with the intake being part of the equation, but if you aren't going bigger with turbos, then the dyno is going to reflect that the oem intake isn't a choke point.

At least that's how I have read all these years of posts regarding.
Totally makes sense. To summarize it sounds like there wouldn't be anything to improve/change in the tuning (from an air intake perspective), because no matter how much more or colder airflow is coming in, it's going to hit the bottleneck at the turbos themselves.

Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
If an aftermarket intake can fetch colder air than the oem intake, the whole discussion would change. But that's just another compliment to the oem intake because Ford did a good job there too.

Premium Member
I have a 2020 2.7L Ecoboost (Gen II) with an S&B CAI w/dry filter, Banks Monster catback exhaust, Garrett Intercooler, JLT catch can/oil separator, 170* thermostat, and Motorcraft cold spark plugs. If you believe the data that S&B has about their intake/filter vs. stock, then it's worth it because it flows more air. Here are the test results: 75-5122 Test Results.pdf
I have used 5 star tunes and have dyno'ed them and they do make more horsepower. However during my dyno testing there was a dangerously lean AFR on the 5 star 93 performance tune and I stopped the pull. The lean condition was not caused by anything mechanical because the truck had about 10k miles on it and I had already completed two good stock pulls on the dyno. But based on that experience I only run my own tunes now. Maybe you will have a better result. Before doing any tuning, you may want to investigate which generation your EB is. On Gen I EBs, there will be one set of injectors and the stock fuel pump is not designed to flow the volume of fuel required to support additional boost. If you try to add more boost you will have drops in fuel pressure which will result in lean AFRs which may damage your engine. On the Gen II EBs, Ford upgraded the fuel pump to support higher volume since the Gen II has two sets of injectors (6 Direct and 6 Port). If you have a Gen I EB and want more HP, I would first upgrade the fuel pump and find a local shop to tune it.

Registered
No tune changes are needed for an intake or intercooler. Albeit there are parameters you CAN adjust to dial in the dynamic airflow, but most tuners don鈥檛 mess with it.

I would start with an intercooler and tune. It鈥檚 hard to justify $300+ on a intake that only helps when you鈥檙e flowing 600+ cfm. Which no one is鈥.even tuned鈥. But we all have been there and spent the money.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 2020 2.7L Ecoboost (Gen II) with an S&B CAI w/dry filter, Banks Monster catback exhaust, Garrett Intercooler, JLT catch can/oil separator, 170* thermostat, and Motorcraft cold spark plugs. If you believe the data that S&B has about their intake/filter vs. stock, then it's worth it because it flows more air. Here are the test results: 75-5122 Test Results.pdf
I have used 5 star tunes and have dyno'ed them and they do make more horsepower. However during my dyno testing there was a dangerously lean AFR on the 5 star 93 performance tune and I stopped the pull. The lean condition was not caused by anything mechanical because the truck had about 10k miles on it and I had already completed two good stock pulls on the dyno. But based on that experience I only run my own tunes now. Maybe you will have a better result. Before doing any tuning, you may want to investigate which generation your EB is. On Gen I EBs, there will be one set of injectors and the stock fuel pump is not designed to flow the volume of fuel required to support additional boost. If you try to add more boost you will have drops in fuel pressure which will result in lean AFRs which may damage your engine. On the Gen II EBs, Ford upgraded the fuel pump to support higher volume since the Gen II has two sets of injectors (6 Direct and 6 Port). If you have a Gen I EB and want more HP, I would first upgrade the fuel pump and find a local shop to tune it.
Interesting, that is the first data I've heard about issues with the 5 star tunes and our engines. I've looked through quit a bit of threads and found that 5 Star seemed to be the most safe/balanced tune. Where MPT made alot of power, but quality has suffered in recent years. Finally Livernois was great, but a little more expensive + no reusable tuner. I've run Livernois tunes in the past on my other cars and they were fantastic, but tired of paying for mycalibrators every time I get a new car. Figured 5 star was the best way to go.

Registered
I鈥檝e swayed away from 5*. We all have our reasons鈥.My go-to tuners have been Boostking Tuning, Unleashed, and Gearhead.

If it were me, I wouldn鈥檛 run a tow tune at all if you plan to tow. Nothing is truly safe like the stock tune.
I prefer the 5* auto octane tune over the 91 tow tune, it feels better and my KR stays in the -

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Registered
I prefer the 5* auto octane tune over the 91 tow tune, it feels better and my KR stays in the -

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Yeah that was my only good experience. The adaptive tune was the only one I was semi-comfortable running. Yet I still had problems. After looking at all the tunes, I don鈥檛 think my calibrator knew what they were doing at all. There were A LOT of things I didn鈥檛 like. The adaptive tune was literally my 87 perf tow with slightly more spark up top.

The SCT preloads produced more power safely鈥.which is what I ran for a while.

Registered
I agree with snake that, if you really want power, especially on a 15-16 truck, you need turbos.

By going with an intake or even downpipes, you are blowing money that could be spent on turbos that are capable of way more power than either other mod is

Intakes and downpipes are used to squeeze the last little bits of efficiency out of the turbos. You鈥檙e better off with a turbo that is bigger and can easily hit your power target than a small turbo that you need to spin as hard as you can with every bolt-on possible to just barely hit your target.

Or you could just trade up to a 2018-2020 that already has pretty large turbos and dual injection. Then you can make 450 whp tune only without worrying about turbos or fueling

Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Tuned by BoostKing
I keep going back and forth on this鈥 going all in with turbos + fuel pumps on my 15, or getting into a 18-20.

A few serious go rounds with dealers on trucks I was interested in have me looking at a layout of $18-$20k more to get into what a layman might consider to be the exact same truck. Try selling that one to the Mrs.

So that kicks off the thought process鈥 how far would half that get me in mods to my 15鈥??

I鈥檇 like to be 425 whp / 550 wtq and reliable enough for a daily.

Reactions: TOWMA8R

Registered
2018 F150 SCAB, 4x4, 2.7
I agree with snake that, if you really want power, especially on a 15-16 truck, you need turbos.

By going with an intake or even downpipes, you are blowing money that could be spent on turbos that are capable of way more power than either other mod is

Intakes and downpipes are used to squeeze the last little bits of efficiency out of the turbos. You鈥檙e better off with a turbo that is bigger and can easily hit your power target than a small turbo that you need to spin as hard as you can with every bolt-on possible to just barely hit your target.

Or you could just trade up to a 2018-2020 that already has pretty large turbos and dual injection. Then you can make 450 whp tune only without worrying about turbos or fueling
How bad would it be to only upgrade turbos and intercooler along with a custom tune and nothing else on a gen 2 2.7?

Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
How bad would it be to only upgrade turbos and intercooler along with a custom tune and nothing else on a gen 2 2.7?
Depends on fuel and goals

If you鈥檙e on pump gas, I believe you鈥檇 hit airflow limits before fuel limits. Even then, i doubt any other bolt ons would truly be worth it.. aside from the downpipe.

on E, I鈥檓 hitting fuel limits before airflow limits

1 - 14 of 14 Posts