F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Ford Extraordinaires,

New to the forum today and from what I have read so far everyone enjoys their Ford's as much as I do.

I recently traded my '06 FX4, 5.4 Triton in for a '13 F150 EcoBoost Supercrew, 3.55, 157" WB and the difference is extreme. Wife and I are fulltime RV'ers and hauled our 30' travel trailer across the country from SW Florida to Santa Cruz, Ca. about a year ago. The '06 with over 100k on it didn't skip a beat although the grapevine on I-5 in Cali gave my wife a scare and turned her knuckles a little white and she wasn't driving. All 3000 miles were uneventful.

We are thinking about upgrading our travel trailer and we are looking hard at 5th wheels and at the Cougar High Country. The high Country has a reasonable hitch weight compared to others and I am planning on installing a set of Super Springs to keep the truck leveled. Has anyone had any experience with 5th wheels and towing with the new EcoBoost? I can tell right out of the gate the power and torque is there but curious if anyone has towed any 5th wheel's. It is looking like my company may be transferring me back to Florida to take over another facility so we may be making a move quick. Any advise from someone that has the experience would be much appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
82 reads on my post and not one response. Would have thought different about this forum. The F150 EcoBoost is an awesome truck......Really would like some advise........Anyone?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hey welcome! I have towed conventional a little passed the max limits with no limits. The only people I know out of the gate doing any 5th wheel/ goose neck heavy duty towing is the company 5star tuning. I would recommend contacting them and ask about their real world experience.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
All of my experience in with tag trailers as well. I see no reason why it couldn't handle a 5th wheel. Just need to make sure the trailer will fit the box. Am thinking forward overhang would be the only limitation to watch.

BTW, the Grapvine makes for lots of white knuckles! Been up and down it in several rental cars including a turbo Chrysler product a few years back! That was FUN!

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Before I got my truck and was researching, I read posts on an rv forum regarding this topic. There were many skeptics, but everyone that had first hand experience said it handled 5th wheels no problem. Just try to stay in the legal weight range.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've pulled a 2012, Heartland Sundance XLT, 245RL for about 10,000 miles with my 2012 Ecoboost. The truck has a 3.55 rear end. The specs on the trailer are:
Dry weight of 6299, Hitch weight of 1135. Put Timbren's on the rear to keep it level. Love the outfit. The truck has NO difficulty with this little 5th wheel. I have to believe it would walk a larger unit anywhere you wanted to go.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hitch Weight would be my only concern. I don't think power would be an issue at all, it's just whether the suspension can handle it or not. Welcome to the forum btw!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I understand about the hitch weight. With the Timbrens, I have no problem with the 1135 lbs. The rig is level and doesn't have a "squatty" feel. Going bigger might be a different story.

Thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I plan to pull my conventional TT with my Eco, as a matter of fact it is the main reason I went with the Eco. I elected for the Max Trailer Tow Package with the 3.73s and the rear locker (No 4wd). Our camper is right around 7k dry and about 9k camp ready and the tongue weight is 689 dry. We would have been at the limits without the Max Tow option. I like the wiggle room for safety. Our next trailer is gonna be a 5er so I will be watching this thread as more information comes in. Congrats on the new Eco!

SPPD

·
Registered
9 Posts
We, too, are in the market for a different camper this Spring, and I have instructed the wife to look at both conventional and 5th Wheel campers. In both cases, one needs to watch the weight of the trailer and GVW (truck, passengers, cargo and trailer combined). For conventional towing we can use weight-distribution hitches to keep the load level. For 5th wheel towing, some Timbrens or similar should be considered when the Max Trailer Tow package isn't included.

One last note, which I hope SPPD catches, is to be careful with the 5.5' box. I haven't looked into the sliding plates, but understand you wouldn't be able to turn very well when you're connected over the axle.

E53

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Emerick,

Ya I assumed that I would need a slider with the short box. We are quite a few years away from our next trailer so who knows what will be available then.

Thanks,

SPPD

·
Registered
35 Posts
If I had plans to use a 5th wheel I would have gone with the Super Cab w/8' bed and Max Trailer tow that would have the 3.73 axles. And there is a little know option that few dealers keep in stock. It's a max payload package that use beefed up springs and 7 lug wheels and LT rated tires.

I use this combo for my delivery trucks. Only one has a 5.4 and the 5.0 I am trying my first Ecoboost in my truck.

On all my trucks I use the TIMBREN load boosters along with the Monroe Load Sencing Shocks. It's a gas shock with a coil over spring. Unloaded the truck rides normal. But when loaded it handles much better with less dip in the rear.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for all of your responses, very much appreciated.

UPDATE: Our new Keystone Cougar High Country 315RES 5th wheel comes off the production line April 9th and we should be all hooked up to the new coach by the 23rd or so as soon as it is delivered and prepped at the dealer. Stay tuned for towing qualities and drivability qualities.

I have not added anything to the rear suspension as of yet but I am contemplating either Supersprings or Timbrens. Anyone have any thoughts. I want to keep the same ride when not hooked up.

·
Registered
588 Posts

UPDATE: Our new Keystone Cougar High Country 315RES 5th wheel comes off the production line April 9th and we should be all hooked up to the new coach by the 23rd or so as soon as it is delivered and prepped at the dealer. Stay tuned for towing qualities and drivability qualities.

I have not added anything to the rear suspension as of yet but I am contemplating either Supersprings or Timbrens. Anyone have any thoughts. I want to keep the same ride when not hooked up.
That is awesome news !!!! Congrats! Post pics with report please

·
Registered
32 Posts

Air bags or RAS, if you want the unloaded smooth ride. Let us know how your gross weight on the truck works out
with the pin weight of the trailer.
good luck and happy hauling

·
Registered
128 Posts
Air bags or RAS, if you want the unloaded smooth ride. Let us know how your gross weight on the truck works out
with the pin weight of the trailer.
good luck and happy hauling
x2 on the airbags.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Wait we can tow 5th wheelers with this truck? I was told no bueno by the dealer. I have been looking at TT toy haulers 28ft range but really like the 5th wheel options. Someone please school me ... Up to what size can I pull? I do not have the max tow package, but do have the installed trailer break and 3.55 gears 145 " WB, 7100 GVWR Package, trailer sway control.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No waiting needed EcoBoost_Troup. After posting some questions on the forum I took it upon myself to do some more research including have a face to face with my dealer and the techs that work on them. What I found is that there is not a lot of difference between the regualr towing package and the max tow package. Here is what I am doing to my truck to make it safe and ready for towing my 5th wheel. I ordered and installed a larger tranny cooler. I just ordered 7000# Timbrens from SDTrucksprings and will install them this coming weekend. The only other two things that I will do is order some custom fit mirror add-ons from E-Trailer.com and when I travel across country from California to Florida I am going to install a heavier duty tire as suggested by my dealer.
Here is a bit of information that may help. Unless you know your dealer and the techs that work there they will only give you the speced information and that is it. If you do your homework you will find no matter how you look at it and no matter what the diesel guys tell you, you still are looking at 420 ft/pds of torque @ 2500 rpm, a tow haul package and one hell of a lot of power in a completely tested and rode hard engine. Ford has done a wonderful job at the design and testing of not only the engine but the drivetrain as a whole. I had every intention of buying a SD before I went to the dealer but the EcoBoost and the tranny combo of the F150 is a perfect match for people the want to pull a TT or a 5th wheel. I came to California a little over a year ago towing a 30' TT overloaded with weight and towing it with an '06 FX4 with a 5.4 Triton. The grapevine was the most white knuckle part of the trip but just so you know there where 3 other RV'ers at the bottom and all three of them were diesels and all three of them had hot brakes. If you plan your haul you plan your safety...That simple.

So as far a 5th wheel goes. The wife and I took our time and researched every possible combination of layout, space, ementies as well as pin and total weight. We chose the Keystone Cougar High Country 315RES because the pin weight and total weight will work. The nice thing about the High Country is that Keystone uses "Helium" technology in the construct of their5th wheels which drastically reduces overall weight and in our case 1975 pounds. I talked to the Keystone factory prior to ordering and they were very helpful in answering my questions. I also found a very good dealer that was recommended by the factory that had complete knowledge of the EcoBoost and its capabilities. They made it very clear that they will not allow delivery if the towing vehicle will not handle it.

We are looking forward to our new coach and I will be posting pictures as well as how the truck handles it. We have a serious mountain range to go over to get from point A to point B and I am sure it will handle it quite well.

·
Registered
139 Posts
awesome man!! Will have to pick your brain on possible 5th wheel toy haulers...just to keep options open...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here is a youtube video link of the coach we purchased. As you will hear in the video the use of Helium technology allows it for a lighter overall weight and 1/2 ton towable.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts