F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is just a hypothetical question, but say you had two similar sized trailers, one a 5th wheel and one a travel trailer. To make this easy, I have already found the two to discuss, because I started this thread and this is what I want :ROFLMAO: :

Travel Trailer: Winnebago Micro Minnie 2306BHS

Dry Weight: 4500
GVWR: 7000
Total Length: 25'-5"
Hitch Weight: 495

5th Wheel: Winnebago Micro Minnie 2405BH

Dry Weight: 5600
GVWR: 7000
Total Length: 26'-9"
Pin Weight: 1100

So of these two, which is truely safer too pull? The 5th wheel will likely put my truck, with 1560 lbs of payload, slightly over capacity once me, my wife and my son are in there. Possibly over RAWR too as that is only 1350 lbs on my truck, although I could pull the tailgate and gain some back. The Travel trailer likely would not overload my truck.

But the 5th is arguably tighter up against the truck with less length hanging back behind the truck. Its also not acting on a hitch that is sitting ~7' behind the rear axle, but is instead on a hitch that is right over or slightly in front of the rear axle.

What are your thoughts?

Reactions: rodgersfam1980

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
That Micromini has to be a ½ton pulling dream.

One foot narrower is huge for wind resistance AND vision. Not to mention the weight over the axle.

I don't know about how it compares inside, of course

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
30% off MSRP is almost expected for any brand new TT. You can verify this easily by surfing for discounts.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Slightly off topic, how much off the sticker can one expect to see at a TT dealer?
Agreed. I still paid WAY less for my few year old, barely used trailer though.

From what i have seen, the new versions of my trailer are going for $26-28k. I paid $11k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
Used is a completely different equation. Typical RV depreciation is legendary!

My oldest brother just bought a 12 year old 5th that was "dated", but immaculate, inside and out.

$12k

It was a $60k RV in its day. It's a castle in size and storage.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Can you give up all the truck bed space for a 5th?

I don't care how well they supposedly "tow" compared to a TT... I could not give up my truck bed, even if the 5th wheel has a huge front basement...

My folks had a huge 5th wheel and he towed it with a dually Ram and he really liked it... But, I rode in it a couple of times and it had a lot more 'bounce and a weird 'push/pull' feel to it as it towed... Sure, it was rock solid behind the truck, but you could feel every crack in the road! ha, ha...

I didn't care for the hitch/unhitch process either... And, I could not park one on my property because of the steep slope to the side of my house.. I would not have enough space between the bed rails and the 5th with the angle I would have to take on the initial slope..

How much pin weight do you figure on when you load it up?

I do see F150's towing large 5th wheels, so I guess anything is possible...

I just have never been sold on them in the end... Personal preference of course... It's just me... :)

Good luck! Mitch

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you give up all the truck bed space for a 5th?

I don't care how well they supposedly "tow" compared to a TT... I could not give up my truck bed, even if the 5th wheel has a huge front basement...

My folks had a huge 5th wheel and he towed it with a dually Ram and he really liked it... But, I rode in it a couple of times and it had a lot more 'bounce and a weird 'push/pull' feel to it as it towed... Sure, it was rock solid behind the truck, but you could feel every crack in the road! ha, ha...

I didn't care for the hitch/unhitch process either... And, I could not park one on my property because of the steep slope to the side of my house.. I would not have enough space between the bed rails and the 5th with the angle I would have to take on the initial slope..

How much pin weight do you figure on when you load it up?

I do see F150's towing large 5th wheels, so I guess anything is possible...

I just have never been sold on them in the end... Personal preference of course... It's just me... :)

Good luck! Mitch
Yes i could. The only thing that I put in my truck is fire wood, simply to keep the trailer clean. Oh and the dogs ride in the bed usually(cause i habe a topper) but they could ride in the cab without issue.

I am only talking about a <27’ 5th. My current trailer is 24’. I feel like the usable space in a 27’ 5th FAR exceeds the useable space in a 27’ total length TT.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is supposed to be hypothetical because the reality is the used market for a MicroMinnie 5th is probably a couple years off. They have barely hit dealers.

I just wanna know peoples thoughts. You think its more sensible to tow a more stable trailer while possibly exceeding payload/RAWR, or do you stick with the TT that you know are in your trucks limits?

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
I'm guessing most don't realize how compact and light the Micromini is.

It's a 5th wheel. But not what you assume when you hear 5th wheel.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm guessing most don't realize how compact and light the Micromini is.

It's a 5th wheel. But not what you assume when you hear 5th wheel.

They are really cool. i really want one but cant/wont pay full price. Ill have to wait.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Hey mad.. Yes, that's a pretty nice floor plan and since you probably need the rear bed/bunk, that would suit your needs by the sound of it..

I'm only a couple so don't need to worry about the extra bed, but my Rockwood is the perfect fit me my F150 @ #7000 GVWR and it tows very solid with just a basic WD bar and chain setup.. (no friction or built in 'sway control')

I do have probably around #900 TW now and I have not gotten any actual weights with the Rockwood setup, but I feel comfortable with it and that's loading up the bed with WAY too much stuff.. :)

I take tools, jacks, canopy, chairs, mats, propane tank, fire pit (gas) and so much other stuff, that it would not fit anyplace else! ha, ha... :)

I'd just make sure the tires were up to snuff and that you don't really exceed the rear axle weight rating and if that all falls in place on the 5th, then go for it... if over a couple hundred pounds, I would not fret that either.... Just be aware of it and expect some additional wear..

Good luck.. Getting a new RV is always fun and I know I am really enjoying our new rig! Mitch

·
Registered
15 Posts
Having owned both, a 5er is night and day easier to tow stability wise, especially when running up against capacity levels.

Now from a power and performance side, I’ve noticed the TT to be a bit easier to tow but we went down in weight and size by 3k and 6ft so it’s really hard to compare but in general the profile is about 2ft lower. I honestly don't understand the Aerodynamics enough to say which one actually has more drag... one is tight to the truck and smooth airflow, the other is 2 ft lower but back behind the truck. If you had a cap on the truck probably makes the TT more aero as well.

The thing I liked about the 5er is absolutely no drama. Back up, hit the pin, lock the jaws, done. Never swayed, never porpoises, never ANY drama. I’d run low to mid 70s all day (In an F350 diesel) and I never had so much as a flinch.

IF you were ok with the loss of bed space (remember you can still pack under the bed rails generally) I would go 5er all day... assuming you still love the two floor plans. The ONLY reason we downsized is because we wanted something small enough to pull with a new Expedition.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Also... IF you go 5er think about a gooseneck ball and an Goosebox pin on the trailer. Keeps more weight out of the bed (Payload) with a massive hitch, you get a full bed when the trailer is unhooked, and the GooseBox is air ride. That’s how I’d do it if I started from scratch.

full disclaimer, I have no idea how an F150 bed and a GooseBox/gooseneck hitch work length wise... but the goosebox is seriously an awesome option

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Also... IF you go 5er think about a gooseneck ball and an Goosebox pin on the trailer. Keeps more weight out of the bed (Payload) with a massive hitch, you get a full bed when the trailer is unhooked, and the GooseBox is air ride. That’s how I’d do it if I started from scratch.

full disclaimer, I have no idea how an F150 bed and a GooseBox/gooseneck hitch work length wise... but the goosebox is seriously an awesome option
I would second the Goosebox. My Andersen ultimate only weights 35lbs and comes off the ball in a couple of minutes, but the Goosebox only leaves the ball, in the bed.

I think the OP needs someone who has done a 150 with both. My bet/guess is you gain some of the normal staibility of the 5'er, but probably lose some benefit from additional frontal area, height of the trailer, and more weight on the truck. You should gain stability and control by having the weight over the axle.

Like anything else that large, you would likely need some towing aides added to the truck to make it tow better.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would second the Goosebox. My Andersen ultimate only weights 35lbs and comes off the ball in a couple of minutes, but the Goosebox only leaves the ball, in the bed.

I think the OP needs someone who has done a 150 with both. My bet/guess is you gain some of the normal staibility of the 5'er, but probably lose some benefit from additional frontal area, height of the trailer, and more weight on the truck. You should gain stability and control by having the weight over the axle.

Like anything else that large, you would likely need some towing aides added to the truck to make it tow better.
These microminnies are only 7’ wide. One of the main reasons im interested.

But this is mainly just a hypothetical. I wont be buying one of these until they are on the used market which I suspect is next year at the earliest.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I didn’t do to much research before commenting, but that 5er is “low profile” @ 11’5” where as my TT is 10’11”. Full profile 5ers are over 13’ which really shows the aero hit..

I’d bet that 5er runs better aerodynamically than a TT with no cap on the back of the truck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I installed a fifthwheel rails & andersen ultimate hitch on my 18 F-150 recently. Those two things added about 100+lb & that combination is the lightest. Probably not a good idea to go fifth wheel with F150 unless fiberglass type of a trailer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts