21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
I purchased and installed this "gooseneck adapter" on my brother's 5th, just so I could drag it around and maneuver it through a tight spot in the woods with my tractor.

That and the fact he had it delivered (dropped off) on my family compound because he didn't own a truck that could tow it. (when I showed the delivery fella where I wanted it put, he and his wife looked at me like I was nuts)

I love the concept and it worked perfectly for what I wanted to accomplish. But I have no clue if it's a good idea for cross country towing.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
That’s a long moment arm during emergency braking... The Goosebox is a bit different.

Also quick googling around.. seems a Gooseneck ball is around 60-75 lbs, so not far off a 5er hitch but I'm telling you, it's SOOO much nicer not having 5th wheel rails in the bed. I really dislike having mine in there, especially if you use your bed a lot.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
That’s a long moment arm during emergency braking... The Goosebox is a bit different.

Also quick googling around.. seems a Gooseneck ball is around 60-75 lbs, so not far off a 5er hitch but I'm telling you, it's SOOO much nicer not having 5th wheel rails in the bed. I really dislike having mine in there, especially if you use your bed a lot.
Yea, I ONLY used it to maneuver it, as I explained. If I was going to travel with that heavy beast of a 5th, I wouldn't trust it to take the pounding.

I MUCH prefer the conversion you have pictured!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is just a hypothetical question, but say you had two similar sized trailers, one a 5th wheel and one a travel trailer. To make this easy, I have already found the two to discuss, because I started this thread and this is what I want :ROFLMAO: :

Travel Trailer: Winnebago Micro Minnie 2306BHS

Dry Weight: 4500
GVWR: 7000
Total Length: 25'-5"
Hitch Weight: 495

5th Wheel: Winnebago Micro Minnie 2405BH

Dry Weight: 5600
GVWR: 7000
Total Length: 26'-9"
Pin Weight: 1100

So of these two, which is truely safer too pull? The 5th wheel will likely put my truck, with 1560 lbs of payload, slightly over capacity once me, my wife and my son are in there. Possibly over RAWR too as that is only 1350 lbs on my truck, although I could pull the tailgate and gain some back. The Travel trailer likely would not overload my truck.

But the 5th is arguably tighter up against the truck with less length hanging back behind the truck. Its also not acting on a hitch that is sitting ~7' behind the rear axle, but is instead on a hitch that is right over or slightly in front of the rear axle.

What are your thoughts?
I’ve pulled only via hitch, but a good friend has pulled both and much prefers 5th wheel. He says they’re much more manageable when backing into his space.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I installed a fifthwheel rails & andersen ultimate hitch on my 18 F-150 recently. Those two things added about 100+lb & that combination is the lightest. Probably not a good idea to go fifth wheel with F150 unless fiberglass type of a trailer.
I’ve pulled both types of trailers and there is no comparison. 5th wheel with Pullrite Superglide hitch is King, especially with a 6.5’ bed. The hitch moves back automatically as you turn to give clearance from the cab. I could jackknife the trailer over 90* without touching. Look on Crags List for deep discount on used units. You can remove the receiver with 4 clips and it frees up the bed completely.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I’ve pulled only via hitch, but a good friend has pulled both and much prefers 5th wheel. He says they’re much more manageable when backing into his space.
What's funny is that maneuverability is the one thing I like about my TT. I can get the trailer moving the right direction almost immediately since it's hooked on the back end of the truck where as the 5er takes a while to react. Outside of that, the 5er wins most other parts hands down... all things being the same of course. We intentionally downsized a bunch.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
What's funny is that maneuverability is the one thing I like about my TT. I can get the trailer moving the right direction almost immediately since it's hooked on the back end of the truck where as the 5er takes a while to react. Outside of that, the 5er wins most other parts hands down... all things being the same of course. We intentionally downsized a bunch.
At the same time though, every streering input you make causes the tongue to shift one way or the other. I have to park my trailer through an 8’9” gate and only have a narrow two lane road(no breakdown lanes, its like 2.5 cars wide) and 5’ of grass to make the 90* swing. Half the time i have to steer the wrong way because the hitch is swinging against me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
At the same time though, every streering input you make causes the tongue to shift one way or the other. I have to park my trailer through an 8’9” gate and only have a narrow two lane road(no breakdown lanes, its like 2.5 cars wide) and 5’ of grass to make the 90* swing. I half the time i have to steer the wrong way because the hitch is swinging against me.
it is a double edge sword for sure... I could spin my 5er around in a pretty small area but I really try to stay away from that as much as I can...the tire side walls freak me out when I’m pinning her around on a dime like that

·
Registered
2020 XLT Max Tow SWB
40 Posts
Anyone have any experience with a Short Bed and a Goosneck Camper? How about a Short Bed and a Fifth Wheel?

This 24 Foot looks promising, almost a 4000 lb cargo capacity. Wonder if it's available as a Goosneck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone have any experience with a Short Bed and a Goosneck Camper? How about a Short Bed and a Fifth Wheel?

This 24 Foot looks promising, almost a 4000 lb cargo capacity. Wonder if it's available as a Goosneck.
I’ve towed over 20k miles with a 2015 ecoboost super cab 6.5 bed and a 8400 lb dry weight fifth wheel. We have the sidewinder turning hitch. It seems a bit squeaky but overall works well. It makes having a short bed a non issue. In my bed, i have a low cost, low weight Curt 16 hitch.

The engine pulls a 10k loaded fifth wheel quite well. The biggest issue with F150fifth wheel towing is the 3800 lb rear axle. Very few fifth wheels have low enough pin weights to not overload the GAWR or the GVWR. A number of the ”1/2 ton towable” units have 1200 dry pin weights that in fact balloon to 1700-1800 when loaded. My payload is 2053 Lbs. With a passenger and some gear, I’m over on both GAWR and GVWR. A SCREW will have a lower payload.

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
I’ve towed over 20k miles with a 2015 ecoboost super cab 6.5 bed and a 8400 lb dry weight fifth wheel. We have the sidewinder turning hitch. It seems a bit squeaky but overall works well. It makes having a short bed a non issue. In my bed, i have a low cost, low weight Curt 16 hitch.

The engine pulls a 10k loaded fifth wheel quite well. The biggest issue with F150fifth wheel towing is the 3800 lb rear axle. Very few fifth wheels have low enough pin weights to not overload the GAWR or the GVWR. A number of the ”1/2 ton towable” units have 1200 dry pin weights that in fact balloon to 1700-1800 when loaded. My payload is 2053 Lbs. With a passenger and some gear, I’m over on both GAWR and GVWR. A SCREW will have a lower payload.
4 years between posts!

Yet you are a legit source for everyone that asks for Ecoboost-5thwheel advice.

Don't dissappear.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
96 Posts
I tow a 28' 7000 GVWR trailer behind an F-150, max tow. I've added Helwig helper springs to the back to reduce squat, and dialed in the WDH. Last trip I ran it across a trucker's scale.

Long story short, I am 100 lbs below rear axle limit, 500 lbs below front axle limit, and 150 lbs over truck GVWR.

All in all it rides great (for a truck) and I have no sway or porpoiseing. Plenty of power to carry us over passes, and the truck downshifts to use engine braking while descending which is awesome. The Helwigs prevent the back from bottoming out, so rough roads aren't so punishing now.

I mention this in this thread because I've read that going a little over GVWR is OK provided you're under the axle limits. So you should be OK with the 5th wheel. Folks I camp with extol the virtues of backing a 5th wheel, so there's that. They tend to be a little roomier which is nice, and your overall length is shorter meaning you can get into shorter spaces. (My rig is 51' bumper to bumper, and I can fit in a 38' space in a pinch.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

Saw this bad boy at the grocery in town today. It was barely wider than the body of the truck and he didn’t even need tow mirrors.

·
Admodistrator
2,556 Posts
Soon you’ll be driving a Chevy? Was really thinking a Dodge.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Saw this bad boy at the grocery in town today. It was barely wider than the body of the truck and he didn’t even need tow mirrors.
Not a bad floorplan, but that white blob needs to go.
2405RL.png
2405RL.png

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
21 - 40 of 46 Posts