F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until my warranty runs out. So I am looking at doing some mods. Looking at down-pipes, adapters, inlet pipes and an intake. I am going to call 5* as everything will be bought thru them. My question is what are the best bolt-on proven combos for an 18 3.5? Not looking to give up a ton of reliability or drag race the truck, but I don't want to get beat by any modded 6.2's either or new Rams either. :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
Honestly, just get some tunes from 5* that best represents the fuel you have access to.

You will be pretty stunned at what your 18 can do.

And you get that without purchasing a single "bolt on".

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Intercooler and tune all you need. You have bigger turbos stock.
I am tuned already. So just an IC huh? I do notice it will get hot in the heat. But cools down quick. Would a radiator help in unison with the IC?

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
I am tuned already. So just an IC huh? I do notice it will get hot in the heat. But cools down quick. Would a radiator help in unison with the IC?
Oh, didn't know you were tuned already.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would get the PSP adapters for the down pipes.
I was super impressed with the fit on mine.
Combined with the better exhaust manifolds I dropped 200 deg on my egts.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would get the PSP adapters for the down pipes.
I was super impressed with the fit on mine.
Combined with the better exhaust manifolds I dropped 200 deg on my egts.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Wow. That's what I'm talking about. I would like some turbo whine out of this thing.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Wow. That's what I'm talking about. I would like some turbo whine out of this thing.
you will barely hear it at idle and that is it. It is not worth the money if you just want a normal type truck.

IATs are most important thing to keep under control and if yu're in vegas and has a tune, that is needed

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you will barely hear it at idle and that is it. It is not worth the money if you just want a normal type truck.

IATs are most important thing to keep under control and if yu're in vegas and has a tune, that is needed
Yep, Vegas, and tuned. I just figured it was bad gas, then I started reading that most all of them do it in the desert. Even the performance tune will heat up if I hold it down on the freeway for about 5-10 seconds. Thinking better manifolds and an IC and radiator. Maybe the desert trifecta?

Reactions: zukgod1

·
Registered
954 Posts
If cooling is your primary concern, you could do what I'm considering... Mishi intercooler kit (new IC, new larger pipes for better flow), radiator, and coolant expansion tank. Then drop to a 180 T-stat (I wouldn't do the Mishi option here... 160 is pretty cold).

With just a tune, you can turn your engine up to the point that it will spontaneously disassemble itself - so you can't do much in the way of go-fast mods unless you want to get into the guts and start truly building the engine.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So all the bolt ones are a waist? That’s what I’m really getting at. What bolt ons are worth the effort on an 18?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
954 Posts
A CAI is (arguably) useless - especially if you aren't making major turbo upgrades.
An exhaust just sounds like crap on the Eco. It's a great engine, but it's a great silent engine... it doesn't have a V8 sound.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well then that’s pretty easy. Cooling mods and turn it up.

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
Intercooler and tune is all you need. Period. Don’t touch anything else.

Your 18 is very well suited with power already. Only real addition is keeping it consistent. That’s where an intercooler comes into play.
This

·
Registered
2018 F-150 Lariat 4X4
31 Posts
Until my warranty runs out. So I am looking at doing some mods. Looking at down-pipes, adapters, inlet pipes and an intake. I am going to call 5* as everything will be bought thru them. My question is what are the best bolt-on proven combos for an 18 3.5? Not looking to give up a ton of reliability or drag race the truck, but I don't want to get beat by any modded 6.2's either or new Rams either. :ROFLMAO:
I'd add an intercooler to that list. Downpipes probably not; unless you go bigger turbos. Turbo adapters are a good idea. Though, do a 3" mid pipe to a 3" cat-back to make more use of the adapters. Your best bang for the money would probably be a tune, intercooler & turbo inlet pipes. Maybe drop heat range colder plugs. If your budget is bigger I'd go with the other stuff I mentioned as well.

From a ton of reading, here's what Iv'e found from various FB groups, Reddit, forums & youtube. So take it for what it's worth, if anything lol.

AMS turbo inlet tubes add about 15-20 WTQ peak, plus the power comes on 1k RPM sooner I believe I read. WHP increase, I forget lol.
AMS, SPD etc turbo adapters add about 15 WHP & 20 WTQ. In a recent email with BCB, I was told they do make power. This is besides the reading I’ve done
CAI, Cobb is the one I have & also comes to mind adds about 4-6 WHP from my findings.
3" Cat-back, nothing but sound, but may increase with the below added as well.
3" mid-pipe with or without resonator. Probably nothing, unless done with below.
Turbo adapters installed with 3" mid-pipe & 3" cat-back. I would think this is going to bump power a little. I haven't found anything definitive. I am waiting for my own parts to show and find out.

Iv'e got 6,000 miles left on my factory warranty, so right behind ya. Have fun!

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
SO the 18+ do not benefit from downpipes like the 15/16's?
Personally from my experience, on stock turbo setup, there’s not much benefit to it. It’s all in the tune. If anything you get a nice CEL on your cluster.

Even stock cats are very high flowing and are VERY high quality. Stock cats if anything are made to last longer than the truck. But nowadays it’s hard to tell.

Most of the companies make junk downpipes and it hurts me deeply when people “downgrade” to certain aftermarket downpipes. Cool you gained a tad bit of flow for a much lower quality cat that will last a 1/4 as long. There’s only 1-2 companies that make high quality downpipes that are up to par with OEM quality. Full-Race being one of them. They make THE best aftermarket downpipe for our setups.

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
It's kind of cool that post#2, the first response, was absolutely accurate, and sufficient in its brevity.

All the other posts, including my own, are echoes in my opinion.

There's a reason I haven't edited my signature in almost 3 years. The 2018 & up Gen2 is a remarkable effort of Ford refining the Gen1. Although they left it detuned in the software, the hardware is amazingly capable.

·
Registered
2020 XLT Max Tow SWB
41 Posts
Don't you have a 5 yr 60,000 mile power train warranty ? But I guess you could be bumping up against that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts