F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the fence with purchasing. I read there is no tuning needed, however I have GH Tuning. I see it says it greatly improves throttle response with small HP and TQ gains. Can I get some feed back?

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I am on the fence with purchasing. I read there is no tuning needed, however I have GH Tuning. I see it says it greatly improves throttle response with small HP and TQ gains. Can I get some feed back?
Waste of money from what I've read.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Waste of money from what I've read.
I have spent every minute since my post researching, your right. Not for me at this time.... Thanks

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
You don't state what engine you have. That may offer other alternatives.

But only if you have done virtually every other modification available and have too much money burning a hole in your pocket; then you may want to check out a TB. I personally think TBs and CAIs should be your last modification. And depending on your engine, you may already be at it's maximum threshold.

TBs give very little HP for the $ spent.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered a ported throttle body 69mm on eBay. I’ll let you know how it goes on my 16’ 2.7l

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please do!

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you don't state what engine you have. That may offer other alternatives.

But only if you have done virtually every other modification available and have too much money burning a hole in your pocket; then you may want to check out a tb. I personally think tbs and cais should be your last modification. and depending on your engine, you may already be at it's maximum threshold.

Tbs give very little hp for the $ spent.
3.5 eco

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have some stickers i can sell you. They are good for at least 10hp each. Just send me cash via mail.

Maybe so, but I’ll take everything I can get with a bolt-on on this 2.7L. More air can’t hurt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
482 Posts

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have some stickers i can sell you. They are good for at least 10hp each. Just send me cash via mail.
Don't do it man, the weight of the stickers added will kill your 1/4 times!

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think the mod is for me right now, but I have read a few articles with shops doing dyno before and after... some had more mods than others on the truck, and it seems to give your just a couple HP and TQ number increase. I see the concept and theory behind the benefited air increase had by the increased MM of the TB.... but really think you need a lot of other mods to compliment the TB to get beneficial benefits for the $$.

If I can score one cheap enough, I would run it to see

·
Premium Member
2022 F150 Tremor
925 Posts
On blow through applications such as a twin turbo set up, the throttle body does not normally become a restriction until much higher airflow levels are reached. The turbos can PUSH the air through the throttle body, more effectively than say a draw through system (roots blower) would do when trying to SUCK through. Differential pressure and such.

Point is, as I've said in the past, you likely will see very little to no benefit of a throttle body until you are at 500+whp or even more. Dont waste your money. They are a pain to tune for almost no gain.

If your truck is making stupid power, go for it. Otherwise just leave it.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
On blow through applications such as a twin turbo set up, the throttle body does not normally become a restriction until much higher airflow levels are reached. The turbos can PUSH the air through the throttle body, more effectively than say a draw through system (roots blower) would do when trying to SUCK through. Differential pressure and such.

Point is, as I've said in the past, you likely will see very little to no benefit of a throttle body until you are at 500+whp or even more. Dont waste your money. They are a pain to tune for almost no gain.

If your truck is making stupid power, go for it. Otherwise just leave it.
I thought I had the part about N/A vs Turbo differences for TB (and other mods BTW), but you said it perfectly - and something guys need to understand. The way a N/A, Roots type and centrifugal type power adder works with various mods can be quite different. And sometime detrimental too.

On a past N/A car I had when I went to a larger TB, I did get some mid-range HP/TQ but it was less than a 2% gain - and I had to tune it too to work right. I found using %Gain the best way to measure many modifications.

Often Manufacturers will use a 600HP car, get a 2% gain and then advertise ONLY the 12HP increase from the mod. Plus they neglect to mention all the tuning you should do to optimize the modification (especially if you have a Speed Density type EFI). But when you only have a 270RWHP (like most of our base Gen 1), it becomes only a 5RHWP gain (and only when optimized). Without ANY tweaking of the tune, you may even find you loss HP.

And then you have cat-back exhaust, where bigger isn't always better. Louder, yes. But better, not always.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I thought I had the part about N/A vs Turbo differences for TB (and other mods BTW), but you said it perfectly - and something guys need to understand. The way a N/A, Roots type and centrifugal type power adder works with various mods can be quite different. And sometime detrimental too.

On a past N/A car I had when I went to a larger TB, I did get some mid-range HP/TQ but it was less than a 2% gain - and I had to tune it too to work right. I found using %Gain the best way to measure many modifications.

Often Manufacturers will use a 600HP car, get a 2% gain and then advertise ONLY the 12HP increase from the mod. Plus they neglect to mention all the tuning you should do to optimize the modification (especially if you have a Speed Density type EFI). But when you only have a 270RWHP (like most of our base Gen 1), it becomes only a 5RHWP gain (and only when optimized). Without ANY tweaking of the tune, you may even find you loss HP.

And then you have cat-back exhaust, where bigger isn't always better. Louder, yes. But better, not always.

Well stated

·
Registered
1 Posts
A simple answer , if there’s a big debate about wether it adds hp or torque then it’s not worth $450. I’d rather spend $50 on a China tbs and debate hp gain.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Holy Mother of thread resurrections !!! :oops:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts