F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 2018 xlt with 3.5l with 30k miles , and I’ve noticed that from 7th to 8th has a “tug”. Only when shifting up, rpms jumps and there’s a split second drop in power and then kinda jumps when it does shift. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I searched forum before posting and didn’t really find out what I was looking for. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
13,730 Posts
8th is first overdrive ratio in the 10-speed.

So if it shifts "leisurely" into 8th, perhaps you are feeling that crossover?

I admit that I've never really noticed 8th as feeling especially burdened, but then I'm in Sport Mode usually (or tow mode) and it takes an increase in mph before it will decide to shift into OD.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
8th is first overdrive ratio in the 10-speed.

So if it shifts "leisurely" into 8th, perhaps you are feeling that crossover?

I admit that I've never really noticed 8th as feeling especially burdened, but then I'm in Sport Mode usually (or tow mode) and it takes an increase in mph before it will decide to shift into OD.

I didnt know that. Again , I’m totally new to this truck. That might be what I’m feeling. It doesn’t feel bad. Just not completely smooth like the other gears. From 8-9 or 9-10 I can’t even feel it shift. Just from 7-8

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
13,730 Posts
I didnt know that. Again , I’m totally new to this truck. That might be what I’m feeling. It doesn’t feel bad. Just not completely smooth like the other gears. From 8-9 or 9-10 I can’t even feel it shift. Just from 7-8
Well like I said, on this fancy 10 speed, 8th is really the switch to an overdrive ratio. And the reason we have these crazy 10 speeds is for fuel economy, so instead of a 7 speed with OD, they give us 2 MORE overdrive ratios just in case we are "cruising" at a good rate.

Still, since you are a second owner, it's not your driving habits that the truck "learned" from when it was new. If you choose to, you could do a Kam reset and have the truck "relearn" everything again, but with your style of driving.

Think of it as buying a used smartphone and doing a hard reset and returning the phone to an "out of the box" experience.

It won't hurt anything. Although it might start out by driving and shifting a little "clumsy" as a result.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have the 10-speed as well and the shifts above 5 are like butter... smooth as can be (including 7-8). The only shift that gives me any issue is the 3-4 or 3-5 shift which can be a little slow the first time through the gears after starting the truck after it's been sitting a few hours. Other than that, the transmission is very refined.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I am having this same problem, which started around 25k miles and I now have 36k miles. I first noticed it while towing our large pontoon boat (7k pound range). It only occurs when the transmission is at operating temperature as well. With with normal driving in any transmission mode its definitely there but not as impactful because I'm not towing. However with a boat as aerodynamic as a cinder block behind me, it slows the truck down considerably when it's shifting and when it finally grabs 8th it's pretty harsh. I have a good friend with the same truck and my father-in-law has one. Neither of theirs behave this way. It's headed in to the dealership tomorrow so I'll let you know how it turns out. Also, I did reset the "learning" of the computer by disconnecting the battery with the lights on for a while, then started the truck and let it run at idle for about 10 minutes before I took off......no change.

Just got a 2018 xlt with 3.5l with 30k miles , and I’ve noticed that from 7th to 8th has a “tug”. Only when shifting up, rpms jumps and there’s a split second drop in power and then kinda jumps when it does shift. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I searched forum before posting and didn’t really find out what I was looking for. Thanks guys! View attachment 163010
[/QUOTE
Just got a 2018 xlt with 3.5l with 30k miles , and I’ve noticed that from 7th to 8th has a “tug”. Only when shifting up, rpms jumps and there’s a split second drop in power and then kinda jumps when it does shift. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I searched forum before posting and didn’t really find out what I was looking for. Thanks guys! View attachment 163010

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you figure out that shifting problem. Mine does the same thing. Same gears.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
I just purchased a used 2018 and have noticed the same hard shift from 7-8 but in no other gears. It looks like one person got it fixed and I was wondering if there was more information so I could do the same. Any updates anyone?
Try a KAM reset.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts