F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2020 F-150 XLT 3.5L Ecoboost SCREW 4x4
26 Posts
Last night for the first time I filled the truck up with 93 from Shell. I hope its not in my head but the truck feels stronger. It's bone stock and on 87 it runs very well. So now that I have 93 in it I guess its intercooler and tune time! Somebody please talk me out of it until my warranty is up. LOL
I am amazed at the power 213 cubic inches can produce. Forced induction or not.
Do it! I tuned my 3.5 eco at around 3500 miles on 93 octane. I'm at just over 19k miles and not one issue and getting better mpg's too. I do change oil every 3k with Penzoil Ultra Platinum. And I upgraded plugs at 15K. I run a MPT tune and it really makes every drive fun.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I'm not brand loyal on my gas near home base but I do buy it from places with lots of business. And I DO notice inferior gasoline according to the ODB Pids, so I avoid fuel that the knock sensors tattle on.

Of course detergent content is unknown.
If I monitored my Pids I’d probably freak out.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
"We have a Buc'ees as well, but I don't use their gas because they don't certify to Top Tier, so I have no real clue what's in it"

Blasphemy!
Buc'ees would never scrimp on ingredients for ANYTHING!

View attachment 175760
I certainly don't go to Buc-ees to feed the truck. I go there to feed me! Their pulled pork and brisket sandwiches are very good. But...I would much rather fire up the offset and make it myself.
Did I just start another conversation??

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Assuming you aren't tuned, your engine will run perfectly fine on 87, and Ford has added several PCM nannies to make sure that happens. There are millions of Ecoboosts on the road that will live their entire lives running on whatever crap 87 fuel can be found at the most convenient station. You will see the PCM continuously pulling timing - especially when things are hot. Ford does recommend the use of 93 when towing heavy.

That said... the engine will benefit (to the tune of almost 40whp) from running 93, as it can advance timing. And, in many people's eyes, any turbocharged application should always get premium, as the engine is being very demanding of the fuel.

Every one of my EBs received 93 from the first tank. I do this because I can, and because the engines simply "feel" happier (less knock, more performance) on 93. Even my wife notices it in her 17 Explorer Sport, and she is decidedly not a gearhead. Now that I'm tuned, I have to run 93 in the truck.
Update... Well after a tank of Shell 93 I am pleased and will continue to run it in my truck. I had my doubts about the 93 before I put it in. I only did it for the detergents and wanting to give the inside of the engine a cleaning of sorts. My truck runs much better. So now I have to convince the boss to put it in her Tiguan. I'll probably have to "sneak" it in because she won't pay the extra for premium. lol

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Shell premium is my favorite gas but the closest station is 30 miles east. However, also 30 miles east is liquor ! The lil grey pickup runs very well on the Citgo 93 zero ethanol but dang it is pricey. Anyway, it's 87 exclusively for me until April or May thru Rocktober.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts