F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2020 F-150 XLT 3.5L Ecoboost SCREW 4x4
65 Posts
Last night for the first time I filled the truck up with 93 from Shell. I hope its not in my head but the truck feels stronger. It's bone stock and on 87 it runs very well. So now that I have 93 in it I guess its intercooler and tune time! Somebody please talk me out of it until my warranty is up. LOL
I am amazed at the power 213 cubic inches can produce. Forced induction or not.
Do it! I tuned my 3.5 eco at around 3500 miles on 93 octane. I'm at just over 19k miles and not one issue and getting better mpg's too. I do change oil every 3k with Penzoil Ultra Platinum. And I upgraded plugs at 15K. I run a MPT tune and it really makes every drive fun.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I'm not brand loyal on my gas near home base but I do buy it from places with lots of business. And I DO notice inferior gasoline according to the ODB Pids, so I avoid fuel that the knock sensors tattle on.

Of course detergent content is unknown.
If I monitored my Pids I’d probably freak out.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
"We have a Buc'ees as well, but I don't use their gas because they don't certify to Top Tier, so I have no real clue what's in it"

Blasphemy!
Buc'ees would never scrimp on ingredients for ANYTHING!

View attachment 175760
I certainly don't go to Buc-ees to feed the truck. I go there to feed me! Their pulled pork and brisket sandwiches are very good. But...I would much rather fire up the offset and make it myself.
Did I just start another conversation??

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Assuming you aren't tuned, your engine will run perfectly fine on 87, and Ford has added several PCM nannies to make sure that happens. There are millions of Ecoboosts on the road that will live their entire lives running on whatever crap 87 fuel can be found at the most convenient station. You will see the PCM continuously pulling timing - especially when things are hot. Ford does recommend the use of 93 when towing heavy.

That said... the engine will benefit (to the tune of almost 40whp) from running 93, as it can advance timing. And, in many people's eyes, any turbocharged application should always get premium, as the engine is being very demanding of the fuel.

Every one of my EBs received 93 from the first tank. I do this because I can, and because the engines simply "feel" happier (less knock, more performance) on 93. Even my wife notices it in her 17 Explorer Sport, and she is decidedly not a gearhead. Now that I'm tuned, I have to run 93 in the truck.
Update... Well after a tank of Shell 93 I am pleased and will continue to run it in my truck. I had my doubts about the 93 before I put it in. I only did it for the detergents and wanting to give the inside of the engine a cleaning of sorts. My truck runs much better. So now I have to convince the boss to put it in her Tiguan. I'll probably have to "sneak" it in because she won't pay the extra for premium. lol

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
Shell premium is my favorite gas but the closest station is 30 miles east. However, also 30 miles east is liquor ! The lil grey pickup runs very well on the Citgo 93 zero ethanol but dang it is pricey. Anyway, it's 87 exclusively for me until April or May thru Rocktober.

Reactions: Roushracing1

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
HP is rated with the specified fuel which is 87 AKI E10 gasoline.

Top Tier is nothing but detergents (the very same detergents) in excess of what the EPA requires. Top Tier also requires a minimum of 7% ethanol. There is nothing about Top Tier that Shell, Texaco/Chevron, Exxon, Marathon, etc. were not already doing. It’s all about convincing you that Costco is just as good.

With direct injection the fuel detergents never reach the backside of your intake valves, makes almost no difference. Does help keep the injectors clean.

Your choice of motor oil has the greatest influence on intake valve carbon deposits with a DI engine.
This was true until 2021. The new 400 hp rating is now on premium which seems a little deceiving.

Basically, the 2021 motor seems to be the same motor as 2020 just rated on different octane

The 2.7 says the same too now:

The only motor that used to explicitly say premium fuel was the 3.5 HO from the Raptor and the 400 hp version of the 3.5 in the Expedition

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
2018 F-150 XLT SCAB 4x4 3.55:1
413 Posts
This was true until 2021. The new 400 hp rating is now on premium which seems a little deceiving.

Basically, the 2021 motor seems to be the same motor as 2020 just rated on different octane

The 2.7 says the same too now:

The only motor that used to explicitly say premium fuel was the 3.5 HO from the Raptor and the 400 hp version of the 3.5 in the Expedition
I note Ford is not saying what they consider to be "premium" fuel.

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
What if a person had access to jet fuel ? Would a gallon in a tank of 93 (35:1) boost the octane up to 95 ?

·
Moderstrator
4,344 Posts
Not jet fuel but some avgas will boost the octane. That said, avgas will trash your convertors in a blink, a lot of lead. Jet fuel is akin to Kerosene or Diesel. I think I've read that jet fuel can be run in a diesel engine.

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
Sure smells like the most kerosene smelling kerosene ever. Out chopper peeps say they run on jet fuel. I think maybe the main prop engine runs on avgas and the jet assist runs on jet fuel.

·
Moderstrator
4,344 Posts
I'm no expert on fuels but I think there are a couple of types of jet fuels, Jet Fuel A and A1 or something like that.

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
13,691 Posts
Lol
EVERYTHING that lands at the location I am at uses the same fuel that's in our Fuel Trucks. It's all JetA

Helicopters, Jets, and Turbo Props. (Turboprop is a jet engine with a propeller. Think "Jurassic Park")

There is one difference in that some pilots ask for "Prist". It's an additive that's mixed at the truck.

We do have locations that get some Puddle Jumper traffic. Think little Cessna. That's AVgas, as mentioned above. The fuel truck for those is a cute little miniature version of a 5000 gallon truck. Those kinds of aircraft will actually order 20 or 30 gallons, where a Gulfstream might order 2000.

There ARE helicopters that do not have jet engines. But I don't see many. And note that I am NOT an Aviation nerd or expert. But I've just been in the thick of it for about 25 years. The basics rubbed off.

King Air Jurassic Park Jet engine with propeller

Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Aircraft

Pilatus
Basically one motor out of a King Air

Sky Cloud Aircraft Airplane Monoplane

Where I am stationed out of : (none of those run on gas except the cars)

Sky Vehicle Aircraft Airplane Building

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
I note Ford is not saying what they consider to be "premium" fuel.
On the old Raptor and Lincoln Navigator webpages they would specifically call out 93. IDK if thats the case now.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Sure smells like the most kerosene smelling kerosene ever. Out chopper peeps say they run on jet fuel. I think maybe the main prop engine runs on avgas and the jet assist runs on jet fuel.
Main prop and jet assist? What kinda helicopter we talking here? While there are a few research craft out there with such weird configurations, you won't find those flying most places. Unless we're talking a little Robinson or something, most helicopters are turboshafts... they run one or two jet turbines delivering power to the rotor through a gearbox and thus burn JetA.

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
Main prop and jet assist? What kinda helicopter we talking here? While there are a few research craft out there with such weird configurations, you won't find those flying most places. Unless we're talking a little Robinson or something, most helicopters are turboshafts... they run one or two jet turbines delivering power to the rotor through a gearbox and thus burn JetA.
Ok well sometimes I assume things 🤷‍♂️

• Haha

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
Same ...
I mean uh well it seems like it would be called jet assist since some choppers only have the rotors and some have a jet engine behind the rotor.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.