F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone comment about the 89 octane tunes available for towing and everyday driving.

Dont get me wrong I like to hammer down as much as everyone, but I need to pull too. I pull a walleye boat every weekend in the summer and drive it unloaded often enough to be worried about every day driving. I live in ND so the rig gets used in the winter months when the snow is to deep to make it to work with my work car. I bought the P/U in Febrary and hve 6100 miles on it and of those 3500 of them are pulling the boat 100 miles to the lake and back. I will be adding a camper to the wagon train next year and will put the same amount of miles on the rig pulling tripled up.

Thanks in advance for resposes!

For an added note, pulling the boat (roughly 4500lbs) I average 8 to 10 mpg. Around Bismarck I pull down 15 to 17 regularly. On the last unloaded highway trip to Mitchell SD and back (150 miles at 75, 175 miles at 65) averaged 18.4mpg!

·
Registered
523 Posts
There are tuning dealers who offer general purpose tow/performance tune all in the same tune. One of the dealers I can think of that's been mentioned here is 5 Star Tuning.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I haven't tried 5 Star, but SoCal makes the only 87 octane tunes I've tried that really let you know you have a tune. Having tried earlier 87 Performance and 87 tow tunes from Socal, I will be ordering an 89 tow tune based on the new T2 tune set SoCal has. I am running the SoCal 91 T2 Street as a daily driver now and have never experienced such crisp, precise and smooth shifting before. He is developing his tow tunes based on that platform. Not one to be without a backup plan, I also ordered the MPT 89 Tow and 91 Street. Just drove the MPT 91 Street this morning and it is pretty good, just not as good as the T2. Haven't tried the 89 tow yet. MPT does have even stronger tunes than the 91 Street (91 and 93 Race Performance, I think) but I have a mortgage to pay and have spent enough on tunes. Both SoCal and MPT will review your data logs to verify the safety and performance of your tunes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts