F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have to say it!

We went camping for Labor Day weekend. This trip was to our property in N. ILLINOIS. I own this property and have backed my trailer into it's spot literally dozens of times without any issues. It is usually very quiet where my property is and its not unusual to go an entire weekend without seeing another person. Well it seems a lot of other people had the same idea for the weekend and people were everywhere. When we pulled up trailer in tow all of my neighbors and there family members came out to greet us. One made a comment something to the effect of " no pressure" as I started to back in. The road is narrow and my driveway is too, but I have made this back-up many times and laughed it off. My wife even shot back with "My husband is amazing at backing a camper".

You probably all know where this one is going. I swung that camper around and broke several laws of physics as I amazingly buried my hitch in the ground as my truck slipped off of my culvert into the ditch with my rear tires hanging off the ground. The good news is my front tires were still firmly planted on the roadway. So I engaged the 4x4 and.....oh wait, I went with a 2wd truck. I calmly stepped out of my truck and took a bow to the round of applause my neighbors gave me.

Well, thanks to Jeff and his 2 ton jack and Tim with his Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 I was back on the road.

I got it in perfectly on the 2nd try and the weekend went great. I bought Jeff and Tim each a case of beer and assume at some point I will enjoy the YouTube videos, as several bystanders had their camera phones out. If I find the videos I will post em up.

No damage to truck, trailer, hitch, or people. Just Pride.

So, have a laugh at my expense!

I hope you all had a great Labor Day weekend!

Regards,

SPPD

·
Registered
393 Posts
Good grief! Well, I'm glad it turned out ok in the end.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Next time you'll have to get an fx4 ;)

Reactions: 2Canches

·
Registered
327 Posts
Gotta love having a 4x4... OH WAIT! LoL.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, SPPD... It's the old "that's what friends are for". We have a "camping family" of 6 families that meet twice/year and all camp together. On one such trip we had the 6th family as rookies...to the group and camping in a rig. They rented a unit to see how they would like it. Well, it rained...a lot. Their rig got buried when they tried to leave. Of course, all us 4x4 types were rearing to chain up and help. All ended well, and we still laugh about it each spring campout.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Oh my, the stories we could tell about getting stuck, not doing well when backing into a spot, forgeting to un hook electrical cords or hoses etc.etc. I'm sure we could write a book. I guess my worse one was when I had to have Chevy S-10 give me a little help to pull my boat out, up in Canada. My 4x4 F-350 starrted spinning in the sand and I didn't want to bury it so, I ask for a little tug. Out she came with no problem. Pictures were taken and I still get ribbed about it.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
It made sense to me. I understand why they denied.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Good story :) I hope that your camper problems have been worked out!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good story :) I hope that your camper problems have been worked out!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4
Still several issues with the unit, but hopefully they get resolved during the off season.

Thanks,

SPPD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts