F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So left for a trip yesterday and about 30 miles before we arrived started getting a sound like a hiccup when accelerating from the driver side. I have had an issue at start up for awhile that sounds like an air compressor filling up. But that goes away after about a mile or so. Now when I accelerate heavy the "hiccup" sound is there and the front end bucks. No codes. No loose hoses. No clue

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sounds like the classic stutter, its easier if you search ecoboost stutter you should find others with the same issue but to summarize, drill the weep hole and check and swap plugs

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
So left for a trip yesterday and about 30 miles before we arrived started getting a sound like a hiccup when accelerating from the driver side. I have had an issue at start up for awhile that sounds like an air compressor filling up. But that goes away after about a mile or so. Now when I accelerate heavy the "hiccup" sound is there and the front end bucks. No codes. No loose hoses. No clue
It's always helpful to provide some vehicle related info (usually you insert this in the signature).
I'm guessing you have a 2011-12. If so, your vacuum pump is on the fritz. There has been a recall for this.
As for the hicup, it could be related to the vacuum pump, or possibly a bad blow off valve on the driver side turbo.

Get in touch with your local dealer and provide them your VIN, so that they can check for recalls.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll check into the vaccum pump. Its a 12. Im running the turbosmart BOV's so I hope that's not the issue

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So update from the dealer. Warped manifold and a failed turbo.

Next question. Im pretty mechanically inclined. Can I do it myself?

·
Registered
20 Posts
So update from the dealer. Warped manifold and a failed turbo.

Next question. Im pretty mechanically inclined. Can I do it myself?
I replaced my turbo myself took me the weekend but i did it, I also found a website that sell's O.E. parts super cheap so that saved me from going to the dealer and paying retail. check out ford parts prime if you end up doing your own work. good luck you can do it!

·
Super Modistrator
2,070 Posts
I replaced my turbo myself took me the weekend but i did it, I also found a website that sell's O.E. parts super cheap so that saved me from going to the dealer and paying retail. check out www.fordpartsprime.com if you end up doing your own work. good luck you can do it!
Yet again with the fordpartsprime vendor? I’ll say it again, nobody loves their parts source enough to mention them in virtually half of the posts they’ve made on the forum. What is your connection to this company? @Elmore328

·
Vendor
7,290 Posts
Yet again with the fordpartsprime vendor? I’ll say it again, nobody loves their parts source enough to mention them in virtually half of the posts they’ve made on the forum. What is your connection to this company? @Elmore328
Oh I think it’s got to be more than just a deleted post for a plug. That’s ban,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
4,080 Posts
Happy Friday!!!!
Sent you a PM broseph! It has been addressed. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So a little more info. I live about 200ft above sea level in CA. We went to south lake Tahoe which is around 7300ft above sea level. Once I got the truck back to around 3000 ft. The stutter went away. I definitely have a manifold leak but am pretty sure the turbo is fine. There is a minor leak at the oil supply line but not too bad. Could the thinner air could have cause the issue because of the manifold?

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
839 Posts
So a little more info. I live about 200ft above sea level in CA. We went to south lake Tahoe which is around 7300ft above sea level. Once I got the truck back to around 3000 ft. The stutter went away. I definitely have a manifold leak but am pretty sure the turbo is fine. There is a minor leak at the oil supply line but not too bad. Could the thinner air could have cause the issue because of the manifold?
Not sure about sea level's affect on the systems in this truck, but i'm pretty sure there's people that know these things here. Just to get the jist of this though, your issue happened at 7300ft and also at 200ft above sea level, but not at 3000ft?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No the issue only happened in high altitude. I am only guessing this was attributing to the issue. Now that I'm back to almost sea level it runs like it did before we left

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
839 Posts
No the issue only happened in high altitude. I am only guessing this was attributing to the issue. Now that I'm back to almost sea level it runs like it did before we left
Could be the case. The computer uses a set of perameters for so long, then you move to where the air has different density, yeah that makes sense. I dont know that you could clear that to get it to relearn either while at higher altitude, or if you can, may be a pain. Im not really to familiar with the deep inner workings of this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok took it all apart Friday night... That was a chore. Turns out the "mush" ring on the gasket between manifold and turbo broke off completely and was free floating. The oil leak turned out to not be oil but coolant leaking from the quick release clip on the bottom of the reservoir. Turbo looked good, new manifold went in easy. Problem solved. Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
839 Posts
Ok took it all apart Friday night... That was a chore. Turns out the "mush" ring on the gasket between manifold and turbo broke off completely and was free floating. The oil leak turned out to not be oil but coolant leaking from the quick release clip on the bottom of the reservoir. Turbo looked good, new manifold went in easy. Problem solved. Thanks for all your help
Good deal. Glad you got it worked out!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So here we go again. The fuel economy is up to 16mpg from 11.9 (6"lift on 35's) but just now on the highway going about 70mph I got on it and the truck made a popping noise like a back fire and refused to accelerate. But if I eased onto it it was fine. I can hear the turbo spooling. Is this the "weep hole" issue I keep hearing about? If so, I'm not too keen on drilling a hole in my Intercooler

·
Premium Member
6,249 Posts
So I spoke to my mechanic and he advised the weep hole. So I wemt for it. About 2oz of gunk came out and now she purrs like a kitten.
Didn't really hurt that bad now, did it? Lol

Just messing with ya. I admit not everyone finds it easy to punch a hole in their CAC. But there's almost endless documentation that it's a solution for the fellas with that nasty stuff laying in the bottom.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts