F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming from the race car world, we worry more about sprung weight than unsprung, in this case wheels and tires. I am upgrading to LT tires that are each ten lbs heavier than the P tires. Obviously this will increase my GVW, but does it really affect the payload capacity? Hmmmm

·
Registered
269 Posts
Coming from the race car world, I suspect you already know this: Upgrade? By adding 10 lbs per tire, you encounter two issues. Firstly, unsprung weight consists of the wheel and tire, the control arms, and part of the axle (driven or non-driven). Sprung weight is the rest of the truck's mass. The heavier a tire gets, (unsprung weight), the more difficulty the shock will have to keeping the tire on the road. The result is poorer road handling. Secondly, by adding ten lbs of rotating tire mass per corner, you place about 160-200 pounds of effective weight per tire the motor must push and the brakes must stop. I assume this is thus for towing? Payload capacity depends on many things, including the strength of the tires...

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good observations and very true for high speed cornering. I agree with the straight line issues also but in my case the trailer has brakes, and if setup correctly, should provide close to 100% of the increased braking demand. So I'm still going hmmmm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts