F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This is my first post to this forum. I've been researching and trying to find answers, and this seemed like the best place to start.

I have a 2012 F150 with an ecoboost in it. I bought it new in December of 2011, so it is 4 months out of the power train warranty. She is my 7th new, and 9th overall Ford truck.

I think a rod or rod cap let go. It all happened rather quickly. 5 minutes from home there was a loud rattle only at certain RPM's. Between 3 and 4 thousand RPM's, like when accelerating onto the highway and when I took off from the stop light at the end of my exit. No warning lights or idiot gauges out of place. I pulled into my driveway, left it running, and I didn't hear anything unusual while idling. I rev'd it up and sure enough, a loud knock at mid RPM. I double checked the oil level and it was fine. Being as it did nothing at idle and the oil seemed fine, I thought it couldn't be a rod, must be the AC compressor or something. I went to run a few more errands. When I started the truck again, it started knocking from the get go and the low oil pressure warning came across the screen. I immediately shut it down.

With it being only 4 months out of warranty, the only person to have every turned a screw on it was Ford, all my maintenance was ahead of schedule, and only 37,000 miles on it, I called Ford Customer service. They were dry, but said they'd open a case and wait to here from my dealer.

My dealer received it this morning and I told them about the Ford customer service case I had opened.

This afternoon my dealer called back and said, "Yep, major internal failure. $11,000 for a rebuilt replacement." They stated that Ford had declined to assist in any way. I argued with him a little and to his credit, he was very professional, sympathized and said it was "an internal engine issue and nothing I did", and he suggested I call Ford customer care back to see if they will reconsider.

A lady named Amanda took my call and told me she was sorry but there was nothing she could do and no one she could escalate too. Our conversation was much longer, but she pretty much just just stuck to her script and stated she could not escalate it. Which I find odd.

I love Ford trucks and I get it that things happen. I am not here to bash, but hoping someone knows someone that could help me out. It's literally nauseating to have such an expensive truck (Lariat, crew cab, 4x4, all the toys, etc) blow a motor and to feel stranded by Ford. I'm hoping I am just dealing with low level customer service people that don't understand the value of a long term customer.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be forever grateful for the help!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear your woes bud, there are way more knowledgeable peeps on here that will chime in I'm sure. Pm the Ford rep on here, worth a shot. Please keep us up to date on what's happening. You're not the first and won't be the last.

iPhone, Tapatalk, Finger.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Ya that's not right. I would start making a better business bureau claim. It will get the right eyes to look at the problem. That's plain B for me.

That's not wear and tear, That's ripping you off. I would raise a huge stink. That guy with the flame thrower (that's me), Throwing a can of whoop ass out there.

Sent to you using my stupid Iphone

·
Registered
4,001 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Sorry for your troubles. That is why I purchased the extended warranty. People bash me for buying the warranty, but your situation is why I did. If I had bought the tried and true 5.0, I would not have bought the warranty because of the history of the motor.

Good luck with your situation.

AK4wheeler

·
Registered
794 Posts
Sorry to hear man. I wish Ford would do more to fix cases like this. If all fails with Ford, definitely talk to rbrown.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Cattledog, I'm very sorry to hear about your issues. Although you may be 4 months out of warranty, your mileage is really low, and seeing as how you get your maintenance done at the dealer, I would've expected some financial relief from Ford.
Send a PM to member FordService, and see if it gets any traction.
If not, I agree perhaps get in touch with Rbrown in regards to getting a new engine.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Sorry to hear for sure...but it makes one wonder what makes a motor to self destruct at 37k?

Bull
Two things that usually kill these engines are detonation (especially when running 87 octane while under heavy engine load), or water ingestion (water does not compress well).

Reactions: RMB_Ryan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for the offers of help and sympathy. I'll definitely keep the thread updated, as I am sure many are curious and others may run into something similar and it may help.

So far, no one has contacted me today from the dealer or Ford, including here. I did PM the FordService account and hoping to hear back.

Noodles, I have no idea what the root cause is. I've heard of the intercooler sweating and collecting water. Mine ran strong until the day she let go. If I had to guess, water ingestion earlier in her life perhaps weakened a rod and over time it got worse until it let go. The other theory I had was, a rod cap coming loose until it let go. The reason I thought that was, at first it only knocked at mid range RPM. Who knows. Ford won't even open it up so...

I can tell you, this is one babied truck. Aside from the spirited on ramp romp, I work from home and I traded in an F250 because I sold my RV with the intention of getting a smaller RV. That never happened. So the hardest work she's had to deal with is bulky purchases at home depot and the like.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
I would go to the owner of the stealership and have a one on one with him or her.
Nothing like some bad publicity to put things into perspective.
I know word of mouth advertising is key in my business.
Keep on the dealership!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.